Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone seen the new Hobbit yet?

(40 Posts)
broomsticks Sat 14-Dec-13 09:25:24

I'm hoping to go next week when all our various ailment should be better (touch wood).

Nelliemoser Sat 14-Dec-13 10:18:59

I do not intend to. J R Tolkein does not appeal. I was bored rigid by the Lord of the Rings films.

ninathenana Sat 14-Dec-13 10:38:01

Have registered to go Orange Wednesday. It's a great deal and hopefully the rush will be over by then.
I have seen and enjoyed all the films.

Flowerofthewest Sat 14-Dec-13 12:53:26

Am off to the movies tonight with my DDH. I realised yesterday that we hadn't seen the previous one and my not understand this one. My DD has lent me the extended version, so when my flippin' neighbour stops - gossiping- talking to my DDH in the kitchen I we can start our marathon viewing before the film starts!!!!! [GO AWAY emociacon]

Flowerofthewest Sat 14-Dec-13 15:07:01

Neighbour off to Lapland tomorrow, that's why she -popped- settled in. Now to start the marathon DVD watching. I hope I stay away. Must remember to find an isle seat in the cinema for DDH (lots of rushing to loo due to radiotherapy) TMI sorry blush

Tegan Sat 14-Dec-13 15:58:15

I couldn't wait for each of the LOTR's films but The Hobbit left me seriously underwhelmed. May wait to see the film on DVD. Not enough to stretch over 3 films.

SirKevin Sun 15-Dec-13 13:06:53

I'm amazed that they can get so much material from such a short book. The Mrs. and I shall see it soon.

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 13:26:10

I have only just sent for the DVD of the first one for the grandsons (and me) to watch during the Xmas period. The second one is said to be much better than the first but we had better watch them in the right order. Loved The Hobbitt book but couldn't get on with Lord of the Rings.

rosesarered Sun 15-Dec-13 13:28:36

We are going to see it next Friday night with DS, we used to go each Christmas for LOTR so it's a kind of pleasing ritual.Brilliant films.

NfkDumpling Sun 15-Dec-13 13:32:37

I couldn't get on with The Lord of the Rings books so never bothered with the Hobbit. I loved the Lord of the Rings films though. We just watched the first Hobbit on DVD and I felt it didn't really get going and, stupid to say it, but there were bits that were really unbelievable! The seconds Hobbit is supposed to be better so we'll try to see it next week - I suspect it'll be better on the big screen.

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 13:33:21

I really fancied Glorfindel in the book. tchblush

Tegan Sun 15-Dec-13 13:40:53

The two things I mis the most in these films are The music [which was wonderful in LOTR's] and Viggo Mortensen. Just as I enjoyed The Lone Ranger, mainly because I can't take my eyes off Johhny Depp whenever he's on screen [not just because he's so gorgeous but because he's a damn fine actor].

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 16:32:41

MrBags bought himself a ticket to see the new Hobbit film this afternoon. Then he forgot about it. He's decided to go this evening, which involves buying another ticket. Scat-tastic! The bonus is that Minibags and I can eat pasta while he's out without feeling guilty about spoiling his low-carb diet.

broomsticks Sun 15-Dec-13 16:42:28

I thought the first Hobbit film wasn't a patch on the LOTR films but that was to be expected really. Yes, I miss Viggo too. Sigh. Still looking forward to seeing it.

ninathenana Sun 15-Dec-13 16:43:56

Let us know MrBags verdict please

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 16:51:15

Shall do, nina.

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Dec-13 16:51:35

There is that gorgeous man who played the Vampire in TV series about the werewolf, vampire and ghost who shared a house. He is a bit lovely wink

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 16:55:02

Glorfindel, from the bok, is entirely in my head.

#mineallmine. tchwink [sigh!]

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Dec-13 17:01:56

where is the bok? Is Glorfindel a dwarf, troll, elf or Hobbit?

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:07:04

Glorfindel

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:09:37

the book

Ana Sun 15-Dec-13 22:17:57

Flowerofthewest - yes, he was very fanciable, and that Irish accent...tchwink

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:21:57

Or the bok. grin

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Dec-13 15:46:12

The series he was in was Being Human. I am so glad he has found a home with the dwarves.

rosesarered Wed 18-Dec-13 20:28:10

Am really looking forward to seeing it on Friday, we shall sprawl in our de-luxe seats with a large bag of popcorn and glory in all the fantasy. Going to see it in 2D though as don't fancy the 3D.