Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Interior Design

(132 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 20-Jan-14 20:33:21

I enjoyed The Great Interior Design Challenge even if was just a more upmarket version of Changing Rooms. DH groaned and picked up his fishing magazine muttering something about hiding the paintbrushes.

Maybe it's a good thing that I've just finished our bedroom.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jan-14 10:43:27

Seems like we [or most of us] would judge Lynn 1st the man [Steve?] 2nd and the winner [happy lady with curly hair] 3rd place. Think you are right hespian it was predictable that the judges would choose the quirkiest design,but to my mind the winner was more of an artist than a interior designer, and would have been happier with just painting things.Lynn created a lovely subtle light room which was artistic without blobs of paint and all colours of the rainbow.

Tegan Wed 22-Jan-14 11:06:29

I think the people with the fitted wardbrobe did say they had plenty of storage elsewhere. It's a pity the winner last night didn't get the house owned by the bloke with the guitars as I think she could have gone to town with the colour scheme; Lynn just didn't adapt to the house owner, whereas the winner changed her colour scheme and adapted. Wil have to watch the Art Deco houses tonight on iplayer [grrr; wish I hadn't said I'd go out as it's also the programme about old family businesses as well]; not sure what people can do with Art Deco interiors confused.

merlotgran Wed 22-Jan-14 11:52:44

I think Lynn and her client were never going to see eye to eye. He was determined to find fault and she was determined to have her way with the logs which he told her he definitely didn't want. She also had to give in over the brick wallpaper on the fire surround and the mock hessian finish didn't work. I did like the alcove with the desk though.

I think her mistake was not flattering him by incorporating some of his own ideas into her design which is one of the first rules in garden design so probably applies to houses as well.

Grey was the new terracotta about five years ago so I would be heading towards other muted tones now or everything will soon appear dated. I've never like feature walls with ghastly oversized patterns either so I wonder how long it will be before everyone is painting over them?

Tegan Wed 22-Jan-14 12:12:53

I don't like wallpaper at all; prefer something I can just paint over when the colour goes out of fashion. What I've never understood is why my own taste changes with the fashion, colour wise; as if I'm being indoctrinated in some way. I mean, I once had a brown bedroom and an aubergine bathroom shock. But I don't think I'll ever be brainwashed into gey. They did say never to have yellow in a bedroom, but one of my favourite rooms was a yellow bedroom; it made me feel all cheerful and happy sunshine.

whenim64 Wed 22-Jan-14 12:48:10

I have sunshine yellow curtains and pillows in my blue/cream bedroom and am very happy with them. The cottage windows are tiny and they bring light and cheer into an otherwise dark room. I get fed up with interior designers pontificating, especially when they do a complete about turn months later.

I'm enjoying this programme, especially the crafts. The 're-upholstered' armchair looked ok from a distance, but I'd have hit the roof if she'd treated a chair of mine in such cavalier fashion.

Agus Wed 22-Jan-14 13:41:14

I've never been one to follow fashion in any sense but if I see something that appeals to me in certain fashions I will take ideas to use.

I did the pale grey with yellow bedcovers years ago so the grey idea isn't that new. I've also done a north facing dull bedroom yellow and it made the bedroom much brighter and felt warmer. I prefer muted tones as opposed to bright colours and have added tints to achieve a certain shade I'm after.

We had our hall done a couple of years ago and the paint I chose was 'trench coat' by Dulux, I miscalculated the quantity, there were no more tins on the shelf so used the mix and match service in B & Q, same colour, same number, but it was a different shade to the ready mixed and I had to use a tint to get an exact match!

I remember feature walls from the 70's and I'm afraid I still don't like the idea.

Tegan Wed 22-Jan-14 18:35:12

Managed to get out of going out tonight wink!

gettingonabit Wed 22-Jan-14 19:40:59

It's on again! I loved the first programme and the grey bedroom but I've been underwhelmed by the others so far. It's a bit like an upmarket Changing Rooms, isn't it? I like the ideas, but they seem to be executed in isolation from the other factors which, in my view, should be taken into consideration, like room orientation, light, style of other rooms etc.

I think the lady with the brown hair will win tonight. Just a feeling..

merlotgran Wed 22-Jan-14 20:07:49

I liked the winning design but my eyes are always drawn to what's outside the window and unfortunately she didn't do enough on the roof terrace. I think they were all difficult briefs especial the art deco/Miami Beach one.

gettingonabit Wed 22-Jan-14 20:11:36

Yes, I agree tonight was the most difficult brief. The Miami beach one particularly so.

The winner should have made more of the outside, but the room was the best, in my view.

Can't wait for tomorrow's.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jan-14 20:15:34

Yes, I agree, I think Charmaine's room was the best [but not the roof terrace. ]I didn't like the blonde girl's room at all.Just shabby chic and not art deco.

Agus Wed 22-Jan-14 20:42:03

Definitely the best woman won and appeared to be the only one who followed the client's brief. Thought the outside was a letdown though. I think all the outside areas need many more plants to give the areas some life about them.

The Miami beach attempt just looked like a load of stuff she had found in a nearby skip. What a mess. But, I loved the pistachio colour she then covered over!

petra Wed 22-Jan-14 22:40:07

The standard of the woodwork & painting make me cringe.

Tegan Wed 22-Jan-14 23:19:40

That's why I disagree about them having to do the work in three days;why not let them do the job properly? I don't see how it adds to the programme.

merlotgran Wed 22-Jan-14 23:29:58

I agree about the time limit. In the real world, nobody would want a rushed job and an unprofessional finish.

Tegan Thu 23-Jan-14 20:02:59

Was that a spider plant in a flat with house cats I saw shock...?

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-14 20:23:06

I didn't spot that, Tegan. Was it added by the designer?

I felt sorry for Dee. Her client was so difficult I wanted to chuck her in the river. Given the room was just a bare cell I thought the design didn't warrant any criticism at all.

The third one was my favourite but she definitely had the best room to work on.

Tegan Thu 23-Jan-14 20:56:41

It might not have been a spider plant [and I can't talk cause, when I had cats I had a house full of spider plants; they were the only plants I could grow!]. Prefered the last room with the brick effect, especially with the reaction of the owner as well.

suzied Sat 25-Jan-14 17:59:17

Last nights programme was ridiculous . A kitchen in 3 days , I have just had my kitchen done and it took 5 weeks and it's still not completely done. This showed in some of the finishing which was very shoddy. However, I think the best one did win, even though she didn't finish in time.

Tegan Sat 25-Jan-14 18:06:34

What's the point I having a time limit when twice this week an unfinished room has won? I was really sad to see those brown tiles go [thank goodness they started to keep them in one piece; just goes to show how things come back into fashion]. Have realised the programme is not good for me; keep looking at my house and hating the decor sad.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-14 20:53:50

Having just made a large batch of marmalade and wondering what to do with it now that we're doing the no sugar diet, I think I'll make it into a lamp hmm

seasider Sun 26-Jan-14 08:39:41

What is wrong with spider plants?confused

mollie Wed 29-Jan-14 12:16:12

I'm just catching up on this series and am hooked! I'm not a DIY-er but I am inspired. I've seen the first three programmes so far and am just off to watch another one or two this afternoon...just wondered where the fabrics come from, any ideas? I always have trouble finding interesting fabric...

merlotgran Wed 29-Jan-14 13:19:39

I've been disappointed in the results of the last two design challenges. I won't say who wins or I might spoil it for you mollie but I'm beginning to think the male judge (can't remember his name) has all the say.

I love the fabrics as well. Some of them are very talented with textiles

Tegan Wed 29-Jan-14 14:14:51

SPOILER ALERT!!!......Same here; yet again the designer who wins is the one that doesn't finish the work [and is a bloke]. Seems to me that the idea is to have a group of designers in the final that are very quirky and the judges are interested to see what they can do next. Also, what really annoyed me was that last nights winning designer was still painting shelves at the last minute and then the shelves were full of books etc.; a couple of planks of wod stuck together is not my idea of a coffee table and the sofa looked awful.No matter what paint I use I always wait a few days before I put things onto shelves. [I'm still loving the series, though and it's made me have a good look at my own house]. Did last nights designers not have a handyman with them, or did I miss that [must have because of that fireplace shelf].