Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Who should replace Susanna Reid?

(83 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Feb-14 13:35:08

Having read that Susanna Reid is to be offered £1m p.a. to join ITV on their morning programme, DH and I were watching Naga Munchetty (sp??) and decided that we hoped she wouldn't be her replacement!

I've posted before about one of the things we enjoy about being semi-retired is the nice slow start in the mornings, watching Breakfast with a few cups of tea.

We were sorry to lose Sian Lloyd and didn't really like Susanna but prefer her to Naga.

Who would you like to see first thing in the morning? Assuming that's how you start your days?

absent Thu 20-Feb-14 18:18:30

A large jar of pickles. It would be much more interesting, giggle less frequently, not slap its thighs as if starring in Dick Whittington, not cross its legs, thus revealing its knickers, raise the IQ level of the entire programme and cost very little.

absent Thu 20-Feb-14 18:19:26

Oh and it wouldn't feel the need to sing on air either.

LizG Thu 20-Feb-14 18:35:51

I reckon Phoenix would be brilliant. Let's all write to the Beeb to suggest it.

kittylester Thu 20-Feb-14 19:19:55

Agus I agree! It made me really cross! But I darent say anything!

I'd vote for phoenix

Lona Thu 20-Feb-14 19:32:15

Agus She didn't get mine!! grin

Nelliemoser Thu 20-Feb-14 19:44:34

My only comment is "Never heard of her."

Tegan Thu 20-Feb-14 19:48:00

Does it ever work when people move toother channels for vast amounts of money? I'm thinking of Adrian Childs and whatsername who left the One Show for ITV and were not only awful on that but were instantly replaced on the One Show. Have to say that I never watch Breakfast Tv and, when I was working I was getting ready to go out and now I'm not I sleep through it grin. The S.O. [who is a morning person] used to say that Susanna was 'very flirty'.

Ana Thu 20-Feb-14 20:55:23

They keep doing that, don't they, these tv channels? Poaching each other's presenters for vast sums and the change fails dismally! You'd think they'd have learned by now.

Agus Thu 20-Feb-14 21:10:01

I felt exactly the same kitty just didn't seem worth the hassle grin

I did notice Lona. When I started getting more annoyed with her rather than what the thread was about I bowed out.

Ana Thu 20-Feb-14 21:21:24

Same here! wink

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 21:57:14

I feel I must defend GrandmaMiney. She was a regular contributer before the time of Strictly. Of course she is proud of her daughter, as any of us would be. It was the support of other GN members that kept the interest in that thread going. Perhaps some of the comments made her uncomfortable, causing her to withdraw.

Deedaa Thu 20-Feb-14 22:06:39

Grandmaminey PM'd me several times and I always got the feeling that she was genuinely thrilled that so many of us were following Susanna's fortunes.

whenim64 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:10:23

Me too. It would be nice to see her back if she gets the chance.

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 22:17:05

I hope she is not reading this thread. Nobody likes to hear their offspring being criticised. GM and I exchanged PMs a few times, starting way before Strictly.

Soutra Thu 20-Feb-14 22:28:34

I read the accusations of "drumming up support" for Susanna and I didn't want to believe them as I too liked grandnaminey and enjoyed her posts. I'm not particularly bothered anyway and honestly, if one of my DDs was on anything like Strictly, campaigning on her behalf and drumming up support would be the very least I would do!

merlotgran Thu 20-Feb-14 22:33:16

I'm not being sensitive here and I voted for Susanna but now I do feel just a teensy weensy bit used.

Yes. I also received several pms

Grandmaminey was not a regular poster before Strictly. Her previous posts concerned her own marathon run.

Where is she now that we're no longer needed? hmm

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 22:41:25

Merlot, a search shows that she was mentioned in 94 discussions! They certainly weren't all about her marathon walk or Strictly.

annodomini Thu 20-Feb-14 23:36:01

I seem to remember Michal Hussein used to be on the breakfast programme before she went off to have her twins, but as she is now on the Today programme, I suppose she there's no hope of her returning to breakfast TV.

Anne58 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:46:06

Oooh shysal how do you do that research thingy? (phoenix all agog at the possibility of finding new ways to play on GN, "purely research darling, for my new on-line course" )

grin

absent Thu 20-Feb-14 23:58:55

I think that probably the worst female presenter Breakfast ever had was that Natasha person who always seemed like an adolescent airhead and giggled her way through war reporting. She was also in another couple of BBC programmes, one of which was, I think, Strictly (I've never watched it). I have a sinking feeling that she won some sort of award – Best Newscaster/Presenter of the Year or something. She was poached for a vast sum of money by Channel 4 and then went on maternity leave. I'm not sure what she's doing now.

grannyactivist Thu 20-Feb-14 23:59:11

Type the name into 'search forums' ^^ up there on the right phoenix.

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Feb-14 00:24:45

Anno Mishal Hussein is very good on the Today program, and does not let any one get away with prevaricating.

She fully deserves to be on a really serious news and comment program.

I don't include the breakfast show in that category.

I think she and Sarah Montague make my female dream team interviewers.

They show that the woman can do the tough political interview stuff just as well as the men.

Anne58 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:15:03

Do you remember the very large woman that used to be on the Today programme, Sumo Gregor?

annodomini Fri 21-Feb-14 09:55:52

phoenix shock grin

Lilygran Fri 21-Feb-14 10:35:44

I have nothing against Susanna Reid, they're all indistinguishably pretty and silly IMO. What did make me very cross was all the media frenzy about her having to work Up North and how she coped when the programme moved to Salford.