Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Who should replace Susanna Reid?

(83 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Feb-14 13:35:08

Having read that Susanna Reid is to be offered £1m p.a. to join ITV on their morning programme, DH and I were watching Naga Munchetty (sp??) and decided that we hoped she wouldn't be her replacement!

I've posted before about one of the things we enjoy about being semi-retired is the nice slow start in the mornings, watching Breakfast with a few cups of tea.

We were sorry to lose Sian Lloyd and didn't really like Susanna but prefer her to Naga.

Who would you like to see first thing in the morning? Assuming that's how you start your days?

papaoscar Sun 23-Feb-14 11:28:44

Gettingonabit - I think her first name is something like Ethole, or Ethel, and she is indeed a fine interviewer.

gettingonabit Sun 23-Feb-14 11:14:28

I don't like telly in the early morning either, but I have a sneaky liking for Naga, although she's better with the volume off! I love her look: she's elegant and punchy at the same time. And that hair! She used to be on Working Lunch for a while before it was axed.

The woman I really like at the moment is the one who presents Daily Politics alongside Andrew Neil. Don't even know her name, but she's really good: articulate and intelligent, rather than just eye candy.

papaoscar Sun 23-Feb-14 09:11:45

Yes, it's all only show business, but we usually like it, especially the slow start bit.

Charleygirl Fri 21-Feb-14 18:22:42

I hate to say it but I did not notice that Susanna was no longer there. I thought that she was on holiday.

Deedaa Fri 21-Feb-14 18:20:33

There is a woman I've seen on the Andrew Made show - can't remember her name I'm afraid - but I have seen her really go for the jugular when faced with a slippery interviewee. She's an attractive lady but definitely not a soft touch. Just wish I could remember her name !

merlotgran Fri 21-Feb-14 17:59:45

Same here, Tegan The tune playing before my 'bit' was Noel Coward's Mad Dogs and Englishmen. I come out in a cold sweat every time I hear it.

Tegan Fri 21-Feb-14 17:19:32

Anyone that can do live media work deserves respect imo. There is a lot of critiscism in racing of certain commentators but I always say people should try to do the job themselves before they pass judgement. I was once interviewed on live radio and I was a jibbering wreck blush.

Lilygran Fri 21-Feb-14 10:35:44

I have nothing against Susanna Reid, they're all indistinguishably pretty and silly IMO. What did make me very cross was all the media frenzy about her having to work Up North and how she coped when the programme moved to Salford.

annodomini Fri 21-Feb-14 09:55:52

phoenix shock grin

Anne58 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:15:03

Do you remember the very large woman that used to be on the Today programme, Sumo Gregor?

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Feb-14 00:24:45

Anno Mishal Hussein is very good on the Today program, and does not let any one get away with prevaricating.

She fully deserves to be on a really serious news and comment program.

I don't include the breakfast show in that category.

I think she and Sarah Montague make my female dream team interviewers.

They show that the woman can do the tough political interview stuff just as well as the men.

grannyactivist Thu 20-Feb-14 23:59:11

Type the name into 'search forums' ^^ up there on the right phoenix.

absent Thu 20-Feb-14 23:58:55

I think that probably the worst female presenter Breakfast ever had was that Natasha person who always seemed like an adolescent airhead and giggled her way through war reporting. She was also in another couple of BBC programmes, one of which was, I think, Strictly (I've never watched it). I have a sinking feeling that she won some sort of award – Best Newscaster/Presenter of the Year or something. She was poached for a vast sum of money by Channel 4 and then went on maternity leave. I'm not sure what she's doing now.

Anne58 Thu 20-Feb-14 23:46:06

Oooh shysal how do you do that research thingy? (phoenix all agog at the possibility of finding new ways to play on GN, "purely research darling, for my new on-line course" )

grin

annodomini Thu 20-Feb-14 23:36:01

I seem to remember Michal Hussein used to be on the breakfast programme before she went off to have her twins, but as she is now on the Today programme, I suppose she there's no hope of her returning to breakfast TV.

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 22:41:25

Merlot, a search shows that she was mentioned in 94 discussions! They certainly weren't all about her marathon walk or Strictly.

merlotgran Thu 20-Feb-14 22:33:16

I'm not being sensitive here and I voted for Susanna but now I do feel just a teensy weensy bit used.

Yes. I also received several pms

Grandmaminey was not a regular poster before Strictly. Her previous posts concerned her own marathon run.

Where is she now that we're no longer needed? hmm

Soutra Thu 20-Feb-14 22:28:34

I read the accusations of "drumming up support" for Susanna and I didn't want to believe them as I too liked grandnaminey and enjoyed her posts. I'm not particularly bothered anyway and honestly, if one of my DDs was on anything like Strictly, campaigning on her behalf and drumming up support would be the very least I would do!

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 22:17:05

I hope she is not reading this thread. Nobody likes to hear their offspring being criticised. GM and I exchanged PMs a few times, starting way before Strictly.

whenim64 Thu 20-Feb-14 22:10:23

Me too. It would be nice to see her back if she gets the chance.

Deedaa Thu 20-Feb-14 22:06:39

Grandmaminey PM'd me several times and I always got the feeling that she was genuinely thrilled that so many of us were following Susanna's fortunes.

shysal Thu 20-Feb-14 21:57:14

I feel I must defend GrandmaMiney. She was a regular contributer before the time of Strictly. Of course she is proud of her daughter, as any of us would be. It was the support of other GN members that kept the interest in that thread going. Perhaps some of the comments made her uncomfortable, causing her to withdraw.

Ana Thu 20-Feb-14 21:21:24

Same here! wink

Agus Thu 20-Feb-14 21:10:01

I felt exactly the same kitty just didn't seem worth the hassle grin

I did notice Lona. When I started getting more annoyed with her rather than what the thread was about I bowed out.

Ana Thu 20-Feb-14 20:55:23

They keep doing that, don't they, these tv channels? Poaching each other's presenters for vast sums and the change fails dismally! You'd think they'd have learned by now.