Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey - Again!

(69 Posts)
YankeeGran Wed 15-Oct-14 16:53:24

Have faithfully watched and absolutely loved Downton from the beginning...but is it me or is it all becoming silly? Lady Mary talks as if she has an itch she can't scratch (someone not posh trying to put on a posh accent?), not to mention her unbelievable dithering over the whole marriage question/triangle. Would a woman of her status risk spending a week in a hotel with someone she didn't intend to marry?

Then there's Sarah Bunting. The woman may be challenging the staus quo, but she is so rude it's hard to imagine she'd be invited back once, let alone several times more. She's so unbearable she could almost be American (I know of that which I speak!).

I think Lord Grantham, Lady Grantham and Thomas have already been covered....

Teetime Wed 15-Oct-14 17:31:47

I don't love it but it does make me laugh. My hairdresser called it a soap with nice clothes.

nightowl Wed 15-Oct-14 17:51:49

I love it but it is becoming rather ridiculous. I think your hairdresser's comment is spot on Teetime

I have stopped actually caring about any of the characters unfortunately, I can't even feel sorry for Edith and her anguish over Michael and her daughter. I really don't give a monkeys whether Bates turns out to have murdered Greene, or whether Tom runs off to America (though I hope he gets rid of Sarah Bunting - she is an awful character). I used to care about all of them, but it's become so daft it's almost a parody. Still love it though, as a bit of Sunday night escapism and lovely frocks!

kittylester Wed 15-Oct-14 18:36:28

My thoughts entirely Nightowl! I was quite upset when Matthew died but now just see it as a gentle, harmless end to the weekend.

merlotgran Wed 15-Oct-14 18:56:19

Cora's simpering is really getting on my nerves, Robert is just a grumpy old git, Bates just seems to get a walk on part these days, Edith is making a fool of herself, the Russian storyline is boring and is there a point to Rose?

According to Jilly Cooper in her book on class, if you were a member of the aristocracy, yellow labradors were beyond the pale!!

They had to be black.

Iam64 Wed 15-Oct-14 19:07:54

That's interesting merlotgran, most of the gun dogs who live around here are black. Most of the guide dogs are yellow. This is not a scientific survey folks, I'm sure someone out there will provide accurate information, rather than my instant reaction.

Those brown labs are rumoured to be more difficult to train. grin

I agree that the teacher is more rude and abrasive than she need, or ought to be. I wonder if Tom will stand as a Labour MP? That'd be interesting. His daughter, is part Grantham, and he loves the family.

nightowl Wed 15-Oct-14 19:26:15

Ooh, not just 'beyond the pale' merlot, but practically non-existent according to this!

thebark.com/content/downton-abbey-dog-right-breed-wrong-color

Atqui Wed 15-Oct-14 19:48:07

I love to watch it, but it is rather ridiculous. As you say Yankee , Sarah Bunting would never have been invited a second time after being so rude .

rosequartz Wed 15-Oct-14 19:52:40

According to Jilly Cooper in her book on class, if you were a member of the aristocracy, yellow labradors were beyond the pale!!

merlot I think Lord and Lady Carnarvon who own Highclere Castle have a yellow labrador - but not the one filmed in the series - their own lab had to be taken away during filming.

rosequartz Wed 15-Oct-14 19:54:47

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2610788/Farewell-four-legged-master-real-Downton-Abbey-Lady-Carnarvons-fond-eulogy-Percy-golden-labrador-lorded-location-BBC-period-drama.html

But then, of course, perhaps Lord and Lady Carnarvon are not as posh as Jilly Cooper!

sparkygran Wed 15-Oct-14 20:07:00

Oh so many kindred spirits (I think I`m Anne of Green Gables) but I used to love Downton but now I`m finding it boring the characters I like are being sidelined and as for Lady Mary - well it`s just unbelievable and as for Edith I too no longer care about her storyline.

merlotgran Wed 15-Oct-14 20:14:17

What a lovely dog and so awful when they have to go sad

DH would love another labrador but we're now too old for all the training and excercise they need.

ninathenana Wed 15-Oct-14 22:39:32

I agree with all of the above.

Ana Wed 15-Oct-14 22:47:26

I certainly agree about Cora's simpering (and would she really still have such a strong American accent after 30-plus years of living in the UK and mixing only with upper-class types? hmm).

I've lost all sympathy for Lady Edith as well. How obvious was she making her 'interest' in that child, who always seems to have to be carried everywhere, eating a biscuit! grin

Anya Wed 15-Oct-14 22:48:42

Silly woman that Jilly Cooper.

Downton is just getting equally silly.

merlotgran Wed 15-Oct-14 22:51:24

Silly Jilly?

Why?

Anya Wed 15-Oct-14 22:54:01

Seriously Merlot? I tried to read one of her books once hmm

Anya Wed 15-Oct-14 22:55:40

But each to their own. There's even a couple of Donny fans on GN wink

Variety is the spice of .... and all that.

Ana Wed 15-Oct-14 23:02:14

hmm

merlotgran Wed 15-Oct-14 23:02:58

I haven't read any of her bonkbusters but her column for the Sunday Times back in the 70s was brilliant. Her witty observations of class and relationships have always been spot on and her self deprecating sense of humour endearing. She often wrote very movingly of her love for her husband, Leo, despite his humiliating affair and his battle with Parkinson's Disease.

Her Golly Gosh image might not be to everyone's taste but I like her.

Anya Wed 15-Oct-14 23:20:56

It's a bit like the blind men and the elephant I suppose.

kittylester Thu 16-Oct-14 06:38:35

I agree Merlot, I loved her column and I especially loved 'Class'. It was hilarious! She wrote a series of trashynovels books with just girls names as their titles, including one with my name, which were a good read.

Anya, what blind men, what elephant? confused

Gagagran Thu 16-Oct-14 06:48:57

The Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton scenes make Downton for me. Both consumate actors and great characters. Can't stand the obnoxious Miss Bunting and why has Lady Edith become such a drip?

Iam64 Thu 16-Oct-14 08:31:02

I still enjoy Downton, it's such an easy watch on Sunday evening. The clothes and settings are easy on the eye. I can suspend belief, sit back and enjoy it as well as doing a bit of knitting. What's not to like smile

YankeeGran Thu 16-Oct-14 12:08:32

Ana - accent is hard to lose...as evidenced by immigrants all around. I've been here 45+ years and am still immediately identified as a Yank (though England is home and we did our best to enable our children fell British and to be part of British culture).