Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Broadchurch new series.

(287 Posts)
shysal Mon 05-Jan-15 22:36:52

I remember being unsure at the end of the first series, and I am already slightly confused following tonight's episode. However, I was really looking forward to it, so I hope I shall be able to keep up. I need subtitles to help me!
What did others think of it so far?

Mishap Mon 05-Jan-15 22:41:23

My brain hurts! - especially after Foyle's War yesterday.

But there was good acting as before - I shall be watching next week.

Ana Mon 05-Jan-15 22:43:16

I was absolutely gripped from the beginning! Certainly never expected that twist - wonderful acting all round as well. Looking forward to next week's episode already...

Lona Mon 05-Jan-15 22:43:30

I'm really hoping that it's good, but it did just seem like more of the same, lots of red herrings!
I hope the two barristers make it interesting.

merlotgran Mon 05-Jan-15 22:47:21

Really enjoyed it. Took a while to remember who was who though.

Anya Mon 05-Jan-15 22:54:53

Something worth watching on a Monday.

whenim64 Mon 05-Jan-15 22:55:13

Well, that certainly started with a bang. It grabbed my interest straight away. Great drama.

Soutra Mon 05-Jan-15 23:10:22

Only slightly confused, shysal? I am finding it hard already. There seem to be more sub-plots than in Das Boot!

Tegan Mon 05-Jan-15 23:13:34

Far to many adverts; at times I couldn't work out if I was still watching an advert or the programme [I was washing up at the time and not concentrating properly]. But there did seem to be more advert time than programme time.

Eloethan Tue 06-Jan-15 00:41:09

I've forgotten the details of what happened in the last series, which doesn't help.

This new series seems far too "busy" to me - with two quite complicated and unlikely plots running side by side. Still, I'll stick with it for the time being.

I agree about the adverts - a real pain.

rubylady Tue 06-Jan-15 01:22:59

Who was the guy with the hospital letter and what tests had he gone for?

I missed the whole of the last series but then bought it on dvd but it's still a while ago when I watched it so a bit confused tonight. Why don't they put the last one of the last series on the week/night before new series and then we can refresh our memories. There are enough repeats of things on normally.

Tegan Tue 06-Jan-15 01:29:05

There might be a Guardian blog about it; I usually rely on them to explain to me what I've been watching. Mind you, having only just got iplayer working again I'm currently catching up with several episodes of Made in Chelsea aka opium for the brain confused....

rubylady Tue 06-Jan-15 01:58:40

Thanks Tegan I'll check tomorrow. I'm off to bed though now as back at PDSA with doggie and her ear in morning. Nice to know someone else is up late though. Night night. smile

Charleygirl Tue 06-Jan-15 09:43:25

I could not remember what had happened in the last episode like Eloethan, and it took me ages to get to grips with what was going on. I also did not understand why the paper with hospital tests on it was being waved about and I have not got a clue about the witness protection from his last case. More may unfold next week.

mcem Tue 06-Jan-15 10:43:32

Have been stuck at home with a chest infection for the last few days so was pleased to have dd's boxset of the last series. I watched the whole lot over 4 days and was ready to enjoy 2nd series. That was an excellent plan as everything was fresh in my mind and I was able to jump right into it!
I agree we now have something to look forward to on Mondays.

Greyduster Tue 06-Jan-15 11:11:07

I didn't get the hospital appointment thing at first (but to be honest wasn't paying that much attention). Then it would seem that it was not relevant to the plot but just a bit of business to indicate that Miller is now seemingly relegated to traffic duty and, being a bit bitter and twisted, was taking it out on Joe Motorist. Hence her colleague's comment about it being usual to give a bit more latitude rather than giving him a ticket.

Ana Tue 06-Jan-15 11:18:55

The hospital letter was to David Tennant - we saw him open it early on in last night's episode. During the last series he kept having funny turns and actually collapsed once but we still don't know what's wrong with him.

Lilygran Tue 06-Jan-15 11:33:11

There was something wrong with him at the beginning of the first series, lots of hints, but never anything definite. If I remember it right!

Mishap Tue 06-Jan-15 11:58:26

I am a bit puzzled as to why Miller has been relegated to a traffic cop. She did nothing wrong as far as I remember.

The scriptwriters obviously had a second series in mind from the beginning as you can now see how they were already setting up the new story lines.

It is a bit disturbing that both "cases" are child murders.

Is Miller's husband going to get off on some technicality? - hope not, as that always seems a real cop-out.

Ana Tue 06-Jan-15 12:12:36

I would guess that Miller either asked to be transferred or had been advised to stay away from Broadchurch until her husband had been sentenced.

She did say she'd been hoping to be able to go back home and rebuild her life, despite the looks and the gossip, after he'd been sent down.

glammanana Tue 06-Jan-15 12:25:18

Brilliant acting and a series which seems to going to have lots of twists and turns as it goes on,well worth watching now I have pieced the story together,was a bit lost at the start though.

Greyduster Tue 06-Jan-15 12:46:36

Told you I wasn't paying that much attention!

shysal Tue 06-Jan-15 12:46:55

Here is a 4 minute catch-up from series 1. I had forgotten the burningboat.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/05/broadchurch-series-2-new-episodes_n_6416238.html

rosequartz Tue 06-Jan-15 12:46:55

I would have liked a repeat of one or two of the previous episodes to catch up.

Yes, it was David Tennant who had been having 'funny turns' in the last series so the NHS letter (now stolen by the man accused of abducting two girls in David Tennant's previous case, when this man broke into DT's house). I think the case collapsed in court, so DT has been hiding the wife of this man because she gave evidence against him, but he has now tracked her down.

There was a mystery about this previous case of DT's in the last series which has now been brought to the fore. Confusing or what!
I think that's it anyway.

Miller has been working and presumably living over the border in Devon until after the trial of her husband. Her older son is staying with someone in Broadchurch - didn't quite get who.

rosequartz Tue 06-Jan-15 12:48:21

Sorry: so the NHS letter was his. (DT's)