Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Casual Vacancy

(56 Posts)
Grannyknot Mon 16-Feb-15 09:36:38

So we opted for this because no ads (and recorded Indian Summers).

I've not read the book and the characters are a bit stereotypical, but I did get drawn in! Will be watching episode 2 and 3.

What did other people think?

Teetime Mon 16-Feb-15 09:46:30

Had to record it and Indian summer so don't tell me anything!

Nelliemoser Mon 16-Feb-15 09:48:17

I thought it was good and so far true to the book regarding the characters. I find the characters are convincing. People often do behave in stereotypical ways.

I doubt if a drama can fully show the subleties in motivation etc that you can express in writing but we will see.

kittylester Mon 16-Feb-15 09:52:53

I hadn't read the book but Dh had. I really enjoyed it but DH said he thought the characters were shallower than in the book. Just before it came on there was an trailer for Poldark - it didn't look right!! shock

tanith Mon 16-Feb-15 09:55:22

I'll continue watching, I thought I had read the book I must check my Kindle see if its there , but I didn't remember it so maybe I imagined it..grin

merlotgran Mon 16-Feb-15 10:06:49

Can I just say something and shoot me down if you like.

If someone hasn't seen it can they not just stay away from a thread discussing it (which is obvious from the thread title) until they have....otherwise we have nothing to discuss.

It's the same on the book threads. You can't say anything for fear of giving away the ending.

Just don't go there. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:16:37

Surely you can say what you think of it so far without giving away too much.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:17:38

Think of all the book reviews put out in the press. No one gives away the ending.

TerriBull Mon 16-Feb-15 10:18:37

I read the book and enjoyed it, dramas aren't always able to convey characters' thoughts very well which often drives the story along and is a vital part of any narrative, I felt it didn't flow as well as the book for me, it came across a bit disjointed. I will stick with it though

Pittcity Mon 16-Feb-15 10:20:59

I enjoyed the Casual Vacancy. I read the book and enjoyed it because it is does amplify stereotypes very cleverly and shows that "nice" people are not always those who have "nice" lives. It swings from Comedy to Tragedy and, in spite of the many characters, is not too difficult to follow.
I am looking forward to see how they have changed the ending though!

GillT57 Mon 16-Feb-15 10:21:22

I enjoyed it, watched i and recorded Indian Summer to watch ( and skip through commercial breaks). Some of the characters were a little two dimensional, but maybe people are like that in real life anyway. I enjoyed it and will continue to watch it as it has many excellent actors.

Rosannie Mon 16-Feb-15 18:39:24

I'm glad I read the book first and knew more about the characters but I enjoyed the tv adaptation of Casual Vacancy.
Indian Summers recorded and yet to be watched.

Ariadne Mon 16-Feb-15 19:01:18

JKRowling does tell a good story. Haven't watched it yet, but the reviews are a bit iffy.

cazthebookworm Mon 16-Feb-15 19:21:54

I've read the book and enjoyed it, lots of interesting characters and a well plotted storyline. The TV adaptation looks promising, I enjoyed the first episode which could be confusing if you are not familiar with the book, but good actors, portraying the diverse lives of the characters kept my attention. I recommend it for the funny, sad and sometimes shocking events that occur Not sure what the alternative ending will be and whether it will work or not?

janerowena Mon 16-Feb-15 21:08:41

Have they given it an alternative ending? WHY??? I really liked the book, the episode was pretty close which makes a nice change. So often when a book is made into a tv series or film, it's more a 'touch of' than the actual thing.

I lived in a small rural village in Kent where the council decided to get rid of the local council houses in the centre of the village. 'Hooray!' thought all the people living nearby. There was much grumbling of course from the tenants, and actually they were much missed by most of us, they were nice people and were the original villagers who had been there for generations. They were shuffled off to the next bigger village, where they were put in council flats.

Then their old houses were demolished and the ground cleared and left bare for at least a year. Suddenly one day, diggers arrived, work began and some really very nice big smart semis were built. People were eyeing them up for their children and wondering how much they would cost - but there were no For Sale signs. Gradually all the old tenants were moved back in. Their houses were nicer than some of those around them. grin

tanith Mon 16-Feb-15 21:25:50

I like the ending to that tale janerowena it makes a change from councils selling off land to property developers...

purplehairstreak Tue 17-Feb-15 11:38:51

Watched first episode. Not particularly impressed and suspect reading the book may be more satisfying. Realise episode 1 was introducing the characters but there were none I felt drawn to/could relate to, so at this point probably won't bother to watch the rest as they mostly came across as a superficial bunch. But maybe that was Rowling's intention. Have found her Cormoran Strike novels, writing as Robert Galbraith, excellent. Maybe I'll just read the book of The Casual Vacancy rather than set aside the next goodness knows how many hours to watch the rest of the thing.

Stansgran Wed 18-Feb-15 18:32:02

I read the second Robert Galbraith book and found it gruesome to the point of feeling uncomfortable (lead a very sheltered life)

janerowena Wed 18-Feb-15 22:33:59

It was very good in its gruesomeness, though.

Iam64 Thu 19-Feb-15 08:46:15

I've just finished the 2nd Robert Galbraith book but haven't read the first one. I found it gruesome as well and also far too long, repetitive and I was relieved to finish it. It's one of a small number of thriller type books that I almost gave up on.

janerowena Tue 24-Feb-15 11:26:45

I loved the second episode of this, I had forgotten the deteriorating dinner party and 'Barry's Ghost' and how funny it was, yet sad.

POGS Tue 24-Feb-15 11:58:41

I am quite enjoying it.

I think the actress playing the role of the school girl is my favourite character and also she is the best actor/actress (depends on your feminist credentials) grin

I haven't read the book so I can't comment on it's take on it. I think given there are so many individual stories of the characters it should be quite complicated to follow but it has been the case the flow of the story has made it very easy to follow. (not sure I have been there confused

Looking forward to part 3.

Anya Tue 24-Feb-15 12:43:26

This weeks episode was better.

Ana Tue 24-Feb-15 12:53:18

I quite enoyed this week's episode too. Getting more of a feel for the characters now.

nannabuttons Tue 24-Feb-15 13:08:34

Glad people thought 2nd episode was better. It's not for me so won't be wasting any more time on it