Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Far from the Madding Crowd

(54 Posts)
ginny Mon 04-May-15 09:06:54

Saw this last night. I was wondering if I would enjoy it having seen the original and yes I did.

There are a number of recent releases that I would like to see;

A little Chaos.

The Aging of Adeline

Suffragette.

Falconbird Mon 06-Jul-15 09:13:45

Whoops - getting my Hardy characters in a muddle.

I meant Giles Winterbourne in The Woodlanders.

Tegan Mon 06-Jul-15 09:47:48

I did manage to stay awake. Couldn't remember a lot of the film, but must have seen it before as I did remember some bits of it. I had told my daughter to watch it, but she said she wanted to read the book first. I told her she wasn't going to get round to reading it so just watch the film, but I'm now thinking it would, perhaps be better if she watched the later version before this one [might be too late now, though]. Much as I enjoyed it last night I have no great desire to watch it again, whereas I wanted to go back and see the Carey Mulligan version again. Strange that Hardy and Tolstoy, who both wrote such strong parts for women treated the women in their own lives so shabbily. I guess that, because of that he, perhaps wanted to be a Gabriel Oak but couldn't help but be a Captain Troy.

trendygran Mon 06-Jul-15 14:25:46

Saw this film a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Good acting and beautiful scenery. Could easily watch it again,