Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Food programme on Susan George

(13 Posts)
durhamjen Mon 17-Aug-15 20:21:57

Have you listened to it?

Ana Mon 17-Aug-15 20:01:26

How did you manage to twist my words to make out that I said I thought Susan George was non-political?

I said the thread was not a political thread - but it obviously makes no difference to you.

durhamjen Mon 17-Aug-15 19:36:25

Non-political? Susan George is completely political. I think she would be offended if you thought her that.

Ana Mon 17-Aug-15 19:31:35

Is there to be no escape from political propaganda, even on non-political thread? hmm

durhamjen Mon 17-Aug-15 19:12:37

I am listening to it now. It reminds me of an article I read in Viva! magazine at the weekend about the CAP.
Follow the money and you will see why the government does not want it changed. One in five of all Tory MPs is believed to claim CAP subsidies, along with the Queen (£730,000), Prince Charles (£128,000), The Duke of Westminster (£740,000), etc.

I agree with her about GMOs being foisted on us without knowing, too.

durhamjen Mon 17-Aug-15 18:32:32

I agree with you completely there, alternative gran.
Another plug for Corbyn, being concerned about climate change.

alternativegran Mon 17-Aug-15 16:24:39

I think you would need to listen to the programme on iplayer durhamjen

She wrote 'How the Other Half Dies' in 1976 which showed how the rich and powerful frame the food system, people don't go hungry because of lack of food being produced but lack of money or land. I fear for my grandchildren because climate change will make things so much worse, we are already getting involved with questionable trade agreements and if whole populations need to move to avoid starvation then there will be an increase in violence.

durhamjen Mon 17-Aug-15 13:35:27

Why are you concerned for the future of your grandchildren?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Aug-15 09:56:00

Susan George

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Aug-15 09:53:34

Ah yes. The scientist /writer one. I will try to have a listen this afternoon.

alternativegran Mon 17-Aug-15 09:42:28

No Jings, this Susan George is a food journalist, the blurb about the programme says that she is one of the most influential writers on hunger and social justice.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Aug-15 09:34:33

Do you mean the actress? (apparently there is a scientist of the same name)

Can't think why an actress would threaten the future of our grandchildren. confused

alternativegran Mon 17-Aug-15 08:59:29

Did anyone hear the food programme on Susan George yesterday? Its on radio 4 and repeated today at 3.30 pm.

An amazing lady but I was left feeling furious, helpless, and so concerned for the future of my grandchildren.