Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Your favourite comedy sketch

(75 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 02-Oct-15 17:27:48

Going back to my comment on another thread about "Funny you should say that...." reminded me of this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQq_tqB0jA
A bit rude in parts (but maybe not by today's standards) but still makes me laugh.
I knew Dudley as a young man, he was a friend of my ex. Then he went off to America, but still remembered his roots. Sad that he died so young.

vampirequeen Sat 03-Oct-15 08:46:26

All of the above plus

Yorkshire Airlines www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

Arsenal v Liverpool www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCZZAheNSU

Any Mr Chomdley Warner

Going for an English www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkKK7UAB4A

Teetime Sat 03-Oct-15 09:02:05

Monty Python 'the Fish Slapping Dance' followed closely by 'The Cheese Shop' and 'Terror Grannies'.

KatyK Sat 03-Oct-15 10:39:38

I also agree re the two soups and fork andles. I also loved the Morecambe and Wise one where they are making breakfast to the tune of The Stripper. Looks a bit corny now, but funny at the time.

ninathenana Sat 03-Oct-15 12:01:13

KatyK the breakfast sketch is my favourite M &W sketch too. Also 'fork 'andles'
Am loving the repeats on at the moment.
I was never a Faulty Towers fan.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 13:05:09

Some threads on GN constantly bring this to mind....
grumppa I was going to say something along those lines too, but thought I would cause a furore grin
and the one of Ana's Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen'
A link here:
www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html

KatyK Sat 03-Oct-15 18:22:45

nina No I never liked Fawlty Towers - the odd one maybe, nor Monty Python. I never got that really.

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 18:36:43

Many scenes from The Vicar of Dibley, in particular the guest appearance of Darcey Bussell dancing with Dawn French and the Nativity scene where they don't realise Alice really is having a baby.

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 18:44:13

Songs of Praise is from Ely Cathedral tomorrow. It's their annual pet service so I'll be watching it and thinking of another of my favourite Vicar of Dibley episodes. grin

Anniebach Sat 03-Oct-15 19:19:13

Tony Hancock,

numberplease Sat 03-Oct-15 22:20:38

The blood donor?

Anniebach Sat 03-Oct-15 23:34:44

Yes, The Blood Donor. The Library Book. The Radio Ham. All of them

harrigran Sat 03-Oct-15 23:45:01

Del boy when he leaned on the bar and fell through, jumped up as if nothing had happened.
Two Ronnies in the hardware shop and fork 'andles and just about any other sketch they did. I have just bought the boxed set of Two Ronnies, every show they did.

Greyduster Sun 04-Oct-15 09:50:14

I loved the Two Ronnies; particularly the musical sketches they used to end their shows with. Plumstead Ladies Choir is a special favourite. The lyrics are very clever.

feetlebaum Sun 04-Oct-15 09:54:37

@Ana - "Four Yorkshiremen" was not a Monty Python sketch. In fact it was performed by John Cleese, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman with Graham Chapman, in "At Last The 1948 Show".

Python later revived it, but only for use in their stage shows.

A little classic would be "Three Men on Class", with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett, from The Frost Report.

feetlebaum Sun 04-Oct-15 10:12:57

I remember laughing insanely, rolling about on the floor, at the Australian "Norman Gunston (The Little Bleeder)" when, in the worst possible taste, he played a scene from Othello, made up like a minstrel in black-face, also performing Desdemona ventriloquially, and very badly with the ugliest vent doll you ever saw... It'll never be shown again, I don't, suppose, which is probably a good thing as I don't think the old ticker could stand a repeat!

TriciaF Sun 04-Oct-15 12:09:04

You might find it on here (100+ of his videos):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2kSkurQFs&list=PLPSMzZOJKAVjDkAIdU4sqt3zg9LBVzlan

KatyK Sun 04-Oct-15 15:05:04

Anyone remember Ripping Yarns with Michael Palin? Some of those were quite funny. One episode sticks in my mind where Palin is a schoolboy who is so boring his family move house without telling him. His only interests were shovels, rain and black pudding. I seem to recall that his father pretended to be French so that he didn't have to converse with his son. grin

feetlebaum Sun 04-Oct-15 15:43:11

Almost - he was Eric Olthwaite - not a schoolboy - as for the black pudding, "Even the white bits were black!" The schoolboy character was in the Pilot episode, Tomkinson's Schooldays - MIchael played the headmaster, too. Ian Ogilvie was School Bully, and Mummy was the delightful Gwen Watford.

In the end, Tomkinson was elevated to School Bully!

A great series, co-written with Terry Jones, in the style (sort of) of boys' penny dreadfuls of the past. A favourite of mine was 'Golden Gordon', about a fanatical supporter of Barnstoneworth United FC and his attempts to prevent the team's ground being sold to put a scrap heap on...

KatyK Sun 04-Oct-15 16:09:36

My memory was not so good on those then!

TerriBull Sun 04-Oct-15 16:54:04

Of late, I love the Armstrong and Miller sketches which feature the 1940s fighter pilots using modern day slang such as "I was like" and parodying today's victim culture, very funny. Also really like Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield. Many more going right back to programmes such as Fawlty Towers and Monty Python

Eloethan Mon 05-Oct-15 09:40:15

I'd forgotten about the Armstrong and Miller sketches. I thought the one with the two aggressive old ladies serving in the tea shop was hilarious.

annodomini Mon 05-Oct-15 10:22:48

Agree about Hancock. Nobody ever had such great comic timing. Every time I have a blood test, I can't help remembering the 'blood donor' sketch.

AyjayF Mon 05-Oct-15 12:37:22

The 'Goodness Gracious Me' sketch, 'Going for an English'. Comedy Gold

Katek Mon 05-Oct-15 13:42:11

Del Boy falling through the bar is an absolute classic, but also love Del & Rodney appearing out of the mist dressed as Batman and Robin!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Oct-15 14:20:48

I love the M & W breakfast one. (I had such a crush on Eric Morecombe. Still have really. I found him so attractive! blush).

And I love the falling through the bar one two.