Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Your favourite comedy sketch

(75 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 02-Oct-15 17:27:48

Going back to my comment on another thread about "Funny you should say that...." reminded me of this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQq_tqB0jA
A bit rude in parts (but maybe not by today's standards) but still makes me laugh.
I knew Dudley as a young man, he was a friend of my ex. Then he went off to America, but still remembered his roots. Sad that he died so young.

joannapiano Mon 05-Oct-15 15:01:38

DH and I love Mrs Overall, in Acorn Antiques, along with 'Miss Babs', played by Celia Imrie. Victoria Wood scripts are wonderful.

Alima Mon 05-Oct-15 16:36:49

The Bricklayers Lament by Gerard Hofnung, brilliant.
The Two Ronnies musical sketch where they are dressed as WRENS. I used to be a Wren and can picture my Mum laughing uproariously at that one, happy days.

Ana Mon 05-Oct-15 16:42:39

Oh, you've just reminded me of Julie Walters in the 'Two Soups' sketch joannapiano! Wonderful...

rosesarered Mon 05-Oct-15 17:02:51

I quite like The Plank, anyone remember this sketch?Eric Sykes?

JoyBloggs Mon 05-Oct-15 21:30:42

Loved the Two Ronnies! The one where they do a Morris dance with the St Botolph country dance team is one of my favourites.

I wonder if this link will work... confused
BBC One - The Two Ronnies, Series 5, Episode 4, The Dancing ...

JoyBloggs Mon 05-Oct-15 21:32:52

No! Not sure what I did wrong!

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Oct-15 21:42:25

Two Ronnies fork handles, all Fawlty Towers and Only Fool and Horses. Victoria Wood singing "Bend me over backwards on a hostess trolley" this caused much hilarity with my daughters as I had a hostess trolley at one time. I never did like Monty Python it wasn't my kind of humour

Greyduster Tue 06-Oct-15 10:35:01

roses I remember the plank. When I first saw it I thought it was hilarious. They televised it again last year and it still amused me though not quite in the same way. I would like to say that it is because my tastes had become more sophisticated, but I still fall about listening to Round the Horne, so it can't possibly be that!

Helena1 Tue 06-Oct-15 11:08:14

Pete & Dud's One Legged Tarzan sketch: I've got nothing against your right leg, but then again, neither have you...!! You are deficient in the leg department to the tune of one... It has me in stitches every time grin

Katek Tue 06-Oct-15 20:02:48

Not so much a sketch but The Gasman by Flanders and Swann gets me every time.

TriciaF Tue 06-Oct-15 20:16:07

Helena - that's another favourite of mine, I remember the words.
Also this one, Bo Dudley, which some say nowadays is racist:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=btS7-UoK2Oo

nigglynellie Tue 06-Oct-15 21:04:12

Dad's Army, I never tire of it and it always makes me laugh and cheers me up on a bad day.

Katek Tue 06-Oct-15 21:22:58

'Don't tell him Pike!' Classic.

grannybuy Tue 06-Oct-15 22:15:33

Wonder if anyone remembers a sketch with Eli and someone else called, I think, The Elephant in the Box. Very funny.

deaneke Tue 06-Oct-15 22:44:25

Peter Sellers....on an old record with Welcome to Balham......!

numberplease Wed 07-Oct-15 00:04:21

The recording of Michael Bentine as a radio announcer, reading the football results, and obviously checking his coupon at the same time. Hilarious!
And another Peter Sellers record, talking his way through the Beatles "Hard Days Night", in the personae of Richard 111.

feetlebaum Wed 07-Oct-15 08:35:42

@Rosesarered - The Plank: not really a sketch, more a full-length film. The oddest thing about it was that Eric Sykes made two versions, some years apart. In one, his sidekick was Tommy Cooper, in the other, Arthur Lowe.
Jimmy Edwards was in both as the policeman always about to get on his bike... but never quite managing it. Both were made in an almost silent-movie fashion, and both are still very funny.

feetlebaum Wed 07-Oct-15 08:42:03

@Grannyby - The Box sketch was one of Jimmy James's routines. One stooge (or 'discovery') was Eli Woods, the other ("Hutton Conyers") was played by a succession of different people, including at one time Roy Castle.

Hutton C: Hey! Are you putting it around that I'm barmy?
Jimmy J: No, no it's not me.
Hutton C: Well, someone's putting it around that I'm barmy. (Nods in Eli's direction) Is it him?
Jimmy J: I'll ask him (to Eli) Is it you that's putting it around that he's barmy?
Bretton W: I don't want any.
Jimmy J: He doesn't want any.
Bretton W: How much are they?
Jimmy J: How much are - no - never mind, it's not him.
Hutton C: Well somebody's putting it around that I'm barmy.
Jimmy J: Did you want to keep it a secret?

Classic stuff!

shysal Wed 07-Oct-15 08:59:54

I had forgotten the wonderful Joyce Grenfell. 'George, don't do that!'
When my cat tunnels under the bed cover, I call her Lumpy Latimer.

KatyK Wed 07-Oct-15 18:03:38

Oh yes sal those Joyce Grenfell sketches! I help out in an infants school one afternoon a week and Joyce Grenfell often pops into my mind when I see the staff trying to keep the children in order. smile

feetlebaum Wed 07-Oct-15 22:11:12

Joyce Grenfell - hilarious or moving - never cruel...

crun Wed 14-Oct-15 23:09:42

Watching Netanyahu's speech on Channel 4 news this evening, I half expected Ronnie Corbett to walk in and give him a handful of pea stalks. grin

Greyduster Fri 16-Oct-15 18:31:11

I was reading a recipe book the other day and was suddenly reminded of one of my very favourite 'Frasier' episodes - "Cherries Jubilee". It was absolutely crackers and I still grin just to think about it! Best of a very good comedy series.

Deedaa Fri 16-Oct-15 22:22:09

Joyce Grenfell - "Yes we do Sidney!" I find myself using that an awful lot with GS2 grin