Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

hunger games.

(8 Posts)
Tegan Mon 23-Nov-15 07:42:26

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAK7opjW4Fs
..my Monday morning wake up music...

Tegan Mon 23-Nov-15 07:34:03

Absolutely loved the first film; in fact have watched it several times..didn't enjoy the follow ups as much. To me it's just a vision of a world in which oppressed people can stand up and fight for their rights, and I find Jennifer Lawrence totally captivating in it. After seeing her in Winters Bone, to my mind there was never going to be anyone else who could take the part. Mark Kermode [who loves the films] said the last film is a disappointment but it has stuck to it's ideals and for that reason it succeeds in what it set out to do. I haven't read the books so don't know what to expect in the last film, although I did start the first book and found it well written [I tend to flit from book to book these days]. To be honest, awful as the content of the books is I don't find it too far removed from what is happening around the world now; in fact, having watched some of Catching Fire over the weekend [I'm very taken with the soundtrack, having realised Ch 4 are using the Imagine Dragons song in one of their adverts] I have a vision of Katniss doing her three fingered salute to IS. It's god versus evil and, I'm very much hoping that, when I see the last film, good is going to win.

Ana Sun 22-Nov-15 18:31:05

Same here merlot...hmm

mcem Sun 22-Nov-15 18:30:11

I found the basic premise so appalling when the first book was published that I have deliberately avoided the books and the films!

Elrel Sun 22-Nov-15 17:48:02

I felt even worse when I read that the author's father was in the US military.

Elrel Sun 22-Nov-15 17:46:30

I read all three books. After closing the last one I felt more despondent about the fate of the world than I had ever felt before.

rubysong Sun 22-Nov-15 14:33:13

We read the first book for our book group. I hated it, found it sadistic and nasty and wouldn't want to read any more of them or see the films. I don't want those images in my head. How does anyone think these grisly things up?

matson Sun 22-Nov-15 01:03:35

Went to see it this evening with my 2 gchildren. We have been avid followers from the onset...read the books....watched the film, so we were looking forward to this last one.

Very disappointing, so much mumbling I couldn't hear what was being said, and the plot and finish ,very poor.
Be interested in anyone else's view.