Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Star Wars Film

(39 Posts)
Tegan Sun 20-Dec-15 20:29:36

DD has been to see it today; says it's absolutely amazing. Anyone else seen it yet?

annodomini Sat 02-Jan-16 13:41:18

12A is a film suitable for under 12s only if accompanied by an adult. The 6 (maybe she's 7) wasn't one of my GC but the 8 and 10 year-olds were. There were dozens of that age group in the cinema and to be honest, I couldn't see anything in that film that could harm their delicate sensibilities.

www.bbfc.co.uk/what-classification/12a-and-12

rosesarered Fri 01-Jan-16 23:29:53

Nobody ever says anything to daft parents in cinemas these days Jane it's a kind of child cruelty/ neglect.

Jane10 Fri 01-Jan-16 17:00:00

There were very young children in the row in front of us. Carried out crying half way through. Stupid parents/automated cinema -no one checking.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jan-16 16:46:12

My younger GS got in to see it easily. He needn't have bothered with the high heels and lipstick.

rosesarered Fri 01-Jan-16 15:58:42

annodomini you say you had a six year old with you? The film was a12 A, and we didn't think it was suitable for anyone under the age of eleven.

granjura Thu 31-Dec-15 21:30:13

Thank goodness DD2's BF took DH to see on Tuesday night - he was desperate to see it, and I'm afraid I really really did NOT fancy it at all.

Greyduster Thu 31-Dec-15 21:14:54

Jane10 smile

Jane10 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:45:40

No no Greyduster please feel free to pursue your interests in apparently adrenalin evoking films. No need to aspire to other forms of entertainment on my account. I'm off to continue my studies in Sanskrit or I might just watch Corrie!

Tegan Thu 31-Dec-15 19:02:10

He's adorable and his interaction with the girl is wonderful. Could have been really sickly but they got the characterisation just right.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 31-Dec-15 18:19:55

Why has no one mentioned BB8? That little feller is set to make a fortune for someone.

Greyduster Thu 31-Dec-15 18:09:17

Never mind, Jane10; when we all come down off cloud nine we'll pick up our copies of Arrian's History of the Campaigns of Alexander the Great (good read, by the way!) and retire to our cultural ivory towers - until the next SWs film comes out!grin

Tegan Thu 31-Dec-15 11:36:33

SPOILER ALERT;That's just what I was thinking [the KK bit] as I was watching it. Having seen her on the Graham Norton show I wondered why she had been chosen for the role; the 'Finn' guy I understood because he was so funny and charismatic. However, in the film I found her mesmerising. There is a certain woodenness about Keira Knightleys acting that Daisy definitely doesn't suffer from. For me, my eyes welled up when I saw the Millenium Falcon and, from then on I was hooked. I felt there were shades of Harry Potter in it [the baddies were very Harry Potter'ish imo] and the unexpected fact that the main hero was, in fact, a girl made me realise how things had changed in 40 years. I may go and see it again; I know my SIL is planning to do so. A good film has to have good music and every time the Star Wars theme played I went all teary again. Problem is, having given the recent films a miss after the diabolical Ja Ja Binks [sp] character appeared I now feel that I have to watch them. And I'll have to sit through the original films with the S.O. to fill the gap in his education.

Jane10 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:31:00

The use of 'awesome' says it all for me -and not in a good way!

Greyduster Thu 31-Dec-15 11:20:12

She does have a look of KK about her! I'm sure i wasn't the only one who had a huge smile on my face the minute Han Solo appeared! The same sort of smile i have when William Shatner leans back in his seat on the Enterprise and says "Take us out, Mr Sulu"!

annodomini Thu 31-Dec-15 11:08:13

I absolutely loved it and I don't think there's anything wrong with me. Went with my family and their friends. All of us from 6 to 75 thought it was 'awesome'! There were many moments of homage to the original series (now known as 4,5,and 6) which obviously I appreciated more than the youngsters. The two new young members of the cast are very promising. Does anyone else think that Daisy looks very like Kiera Knightley?

Jane10 Thu 31-Dec-15 10:00:05

It was just as loud wherever one sat! Never again. Roll on the new Dads Army film!

grannylyn65 Thu 31-Dec-15 09:57:32

It was so loud I thought my ears would bleed.We were very near front!!

Pittcity Wed 30-Dec-15 21:57:21

There's a radio programme called, "I've Never Seen Star Wars." There must be a few out there Tegan

Tegan Wed 30-Dec-15 21:27:02

Just got back; thoroughly enjoyed it and did find my eyes welling up at times. Thought the young actress was amazing; having seen her on chat shows I couldn't believe how charismatic she is onscreen. Although was shocked when, on leaving, the S.O. pointed out that he didn't know any of the characters. I thought everyone [excluding Ana grin] had seen them confused.

rosesarered Wed 30-Dec-15 08:58:45

I would agree that the trailers for other films ( Fantastic Four,and other Marvel type films) seemed to be all aimed at teenage boys, but that's because they show trailers similar to the one you are there to see these days and not the ' forthcoming attractions' of days of yore.?
I thought the film itself was alright, but not wonderful, compared to the last few Star Wars films it was much better, but it was very like a re-hash of the very first film.Still,mit was nice to see that although Han Solo and Princess Leiah had aged, Chewbacca didn't look a day older.tchgrin

Jane10 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:31:03

I know. I was in a pretty bad mood before the film even came on. The trailers were appalling -all the previews seemed to be for desperately awful films -car crashes, bombs, murders, destruction on a massive scale etc etc . I was horrified that there must be an appetite for such a horrible form of 'entertainment'.
I had only gone to see Star Wars as having seen the actors on chatshows I thought there must be more to this one, that it would be more like the original or the empire strikes back. My mistake.

ninathenana Wed 30-Dec-15 00:18:21

Jane10
noise, explosions, too many chases it is called Star Wars after all confused

Pittcity Tue 29-Dec-15 22:37:30

I loved the film but can't help thinking that I've seen it before!

Greyduster Tue 29-Dec-15 21:58:19

"I was just left wondering what was wrong with people if they liked that sort of thing"! Really???

tanith Tue 29-Dec-15 21:32:23

I've always loved each Star Wars film in turn can't wait to see this one but I've put it off so I don't have to go when its ram jam packed, I'm going with my daughter one afternoon next week. If they come on tv we always watch them again..