Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New role model for us?

(15 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 11-Jan-16 17:08:51

I hadn't see that one Alea. Very funny. Thank you.

Indinana Sun 10-Jan-16 23:07:24

Definitely one of her finer 'bovered' clips Alea. Thanks for that link, it was absolutely hilarious.
I wish I'd known Nan was on - I loved that character, so outrageous.
And I love Mrs Brown, I love the way she speaks to camera. Cracks me up grin

Jane10 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:01:29

Brilliant. She's a clever actress. I do love Nan though. I suppose its the shock factor. Refreshing to see an old woman on TV who isn't the stereotyped sweet old lady that is usually how we are all portrayed. Lots of people like Nan in real life though! Obviously not on Gransnet of course grin

Alea Sun 10-Jan-16 18:39:54

youtu.be/zV1zK8zRCPo

As a Languages teacher I always enjoyed this, as did my MFL colleagues!

feetlebaum Sun 10-Jan-16 18:05:00

There is no such thing as 'bad language' - and in Mrs Brown the language is appropriate (believe me!)

On t'other hand, after her stint in Doctor Who I came to admire Catherine Tate - but in her comedy shows the characters seem to be merely irritating - not people I'd want to share my life with in any way. The schoolgirl with the gob could do with a smacked arse if you ask me...

Pittcity Sun 10-Jan-16 18:03:27

Nan and Mrs Brown are completely different types of humour.
Mrs Brown is old fashioned panto type humour , innuendo and slapstick. Not foul mouthed like Nan.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 10-Jan-16 17:53:02

I watched Catherine Tates Nan too for about 15 minutes. Foul mouthed and unfunny. Not my thing at all. Feel the same about Mrs Brown's Boys. I just don't understand why it's so popular. I don't think I'm a prude but don't see why bad language is considered funny. Rant over!

rosesarered Fri 01-Jan-16 23:32:32

I like a few mins of 'nan' but not much more than that.I have known types very much like her though, perhaps not quite as outrageous.?

Deedaa Fri 01-Jan-16 21:51:28

She always reminds me of my in laws. They would never have used that sort of language but the attitude was just the same. Moaning about people as soon as they'd left.

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Jan-16 08:31:10

Saw a few minutes of Nan, not my humour.

However, I'm a great fan of Mrs Brown but was greatly disappointed in De Movie last night. The theme was much too different from the series and sadly missing it's usual homeliness.

Jane10 Fri 01-Jan-16 07:03:47

I know. A character is either funny or just not. I just don't get 'Mrs Browns Boys'. Can't stand it but quite a sensible friend just loves it. Nan should be the last prog I'd enjoy but somehow I can't help laughing. Takes all sorts.

ninathenana Thu 31-Dec-15 22:54:04

Gets on my nerves, not my humour at all.

Pittcity Thu 31-Dec-15 21:42:25

Ì had imagined that we were all like that!

Ana Thu 31-Dec-15 20:52:39

Oh, I meant to watch that, then forgot about it! Cross now...

Jane10 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:50:42

Catherine Tate's Nan is absolutely appalling. I love her! Even though you know what she's like its still stunning when she lets rip. A good role model for Marelli and the other Grans who shrink from swearing in public. I think I laugh more from shock than anything else.