Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

[sad]

(48 Posts)
morethan2 Sun 31-Jan-16 09:07:12

Oh Terry Wogan has died. I listen to him for most of my working life. I've had many a chuckle. Thanks Terry and R.I.P sad

JaxKerr Mon 01-Feb-16 11:42:58

I listened to Terry, Paulie, Dedley & Fran in the 90's on my way to work. Cheered me up for the day & brilliant music including Eva Cassidy. The TOGS stuff was great & the Janet & John stories hilarious. Glad I heard him and them flowers

portiatrue Mon 01-Feb-16 12:01:03

Terry was in the background of most of my adult life, and I often was in fits of laughter over his Janet and John sketches on radio 2.

Don't understand why I have been in tears ever time I hear a tribute to him today, he obviously got into my phyche more than I thought. RIP Sir Terry, a very sad loss.

seadragon Mon 01-Feb-16 12:16:16

Proud to be a TOGG. Terry saw me through many difficult times over more than 40 years.......

Mi60Mi Mon 01-Feb-16 12:19:42

Now I'm crying too.....

Skweek1 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:22:39

I was really shocked. I loved his R2 morning. Remember when DD1 was about 7 and they were looking for a new Dr Who. She suggested that Tel would be perfect, so we wrote to him because we thought he would be amused. Sure enough, a few days later he announced that he'd heard from DH that she'd suggested this and what an astute and observant young lady she obviously was. She was thrilled. Bless him, he will be missed.sad

Phoebes Mon 01-Feb-16 13:21:24

We loved Terry and we will miss him! The Janet and John stories were inspirational, if bonkers and a bit rude! Still, as they say, 'It's all in the mind!' Condolences to Helen and the family - life will never be the same without him!

chrissyh Mon 01-Feb-16 13:24:46

I didn't know he was ill as the reason given for not doing Children in Need was because he has a bad back. Never once mention of an illness. Really missed him when he left his daily show on Radio 2. One of the few chat shows I liked and loved sense of humour. RIP Terry.

ladybird9 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:43:13

As a Great Fan of Terry's for his natural humour, his attitude towards the 'man in the street', always a jolly outlook on life, he will be sorely missed, if his home life generated on these same qualities, what a miss he will be within his family. God Bless You Terry, up you go to entertain those who have gone before, please save a seat for me in your heavenly audience.

Thank you for your contribution to this planet XXXXX

lilian1 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:43:28

I agree with all the lovely comments here what a fine man could not believe the sad news yesterday morning loved his banter a national treasure indeed he and Dave Allen were my favourites you will be sorely missed Sir Terry x

adaunas Mon 01-Feb-16 13:53:10

Thanks Terry for many years of entertainment and gentle humour. How good to read all the lovely, well deserved things people have said about you. What a treasure the TOG shirt will be as a reminder of being one of your devotees. Thanks for sharing your time with us. RIP

gulligranny Mon 01-Feb-16 13:54:39

He was the soundtrack to my mornings and even when I was having a very bad time, I always knew I'd spend at least part of my day laughing. The whole Togmeister/Dr Paulie/Deadly Alancoat thing was inspirational and when you added in the Janet & John stories and the contributions from the TOGs, it was the stuff of surreal hysteria!

Like others I've been in surprised tears; he was unique and irreplaceable and I'm very glad to have been one of his loyal listeners for many years.
RIP Sir Terry, and thank you so much.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 01-Feb-16 15:08:55

I don't believe Terry has died. He's on the radio all day!!

Alima Mon 01-Feb-16 15:14:40

I know, it has been lovely.

Clematisa Mon 01-Feb-16 16:05:57

He kept me smiling every morning on my drive to school, even though I knew I was about to have a h***** day at work and for that I'll always be thankful! His Janet and John stories almost had me stopping the car as I was so convulsed with laughter. May they all be enjoying his banter now wherever he may be!

LizRhodes Mon 01-Feb-16 17:03:27

I'm sad because Terry was always there and now he isn't.

Cath9 Mon 01-Feb-16 18:06:09

Such a shock, but I expect he didn't want a lot of fuss while he was fighting the condition.

I remember telling him about my experiences when he was a youth in the west of Eire. Has anyone else had experiences of the then lovely wild west of Eire 66 to 56 years ago?

All the donkeys with baskets on each side carrying turf for electricity. The old celtic houses with chickens running around and ladies dressed like a hippy with long skirts and a scarf round their head. Connemara, where we used to catch so many prawns, was such a wild place in those days.

Aepgirl Mon 01-Feb-16 18:35:24

He was a true gentleman. His wit was always quick but never cruel, and he laughed at himself on many occasions.

I remember his banter with Ray Moore - laughing uncontrollably at 8 in the morning . Nobody else comes even close.

He will be sadly missed.

Granjan44 Mon 01-Feb-16 19:54:53

Terry Wogan RIP. He will never be equaled. A man of wit, intelligence, but above all humility. He made our mornings bearable no matter what might be sad in our lives, and seemed to promise better times ahead. Greatly missed x

Gaggi3 Mon 01-Feb-16 21:54:38

I wonder if anyone else remembers his suggested Dallas game. Anyone watching had to be one of the characters and every time he/she had a drink you had to as well. Winner was the one still conscious at the end of the episode. No-one was allowed to be John-Ross. Lots of laughs and always kindly.

TwiceAsNice Mon 01-Feb-16 22:49:56

I loved listening to his radio 2 programme driving to work in the morning, I've nearly had an accident laughing at Janet and John. I watched the tribute to him tonight on the One Show. I'm afraid for me Chris Evans doesn't even come close. I feel very sad for his family RIP Terry you were the best!

grannybuy Mon 01-Feb-16 23:34:36

So sad. Turning on Radio two after he'd left was no pleasure - so raucous after the gentle, soothing of Terry's show. I often sat in the car park listening to Janet and John before going in to work - with a lighter step. He also 'introduced' DH and myself to Eva Cassidy.

AlgeswifeVal Tue 02-Feb-16 18:47:47

One very handsome guy. Even as an oder man. RIP Terry Wogan. I understand Frank Findlay dies the same day. RIP Frank Findlay.