Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

How to spend less.

(10 Posts)
Eloethan Fri 18-Mar-16 12:54:58

I watched most of the first one and thought it was a pointless programme - an insult to people who are really struggling. The people featured on it were stupidly extravagant and I really couldn't have cared less how much money they saved. Won't bother to watch it again.

annodomini Fri 18-Mar-16 12:50:41

I'd like to know the charity shop where the good designer items were found. Do I think they will stick to the spending principles the presenters demonstrated? No, not a bit of it.

Jalima Fri 18-Mar-16 11:35:41

I doubt they'll pay in full, and I wonder if they own their own home or are moaning that they can't afford to buy a house?
(sorry, not allowed to say that grin
But I did)

Charleygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 22:09:03

I also watched it- were they earning so much money that they could afford to spend so much? I noticed that everything was paid for by credit card- I wonder if they do what I do and pay in full each month or does the interest accumulate?

Jalima Thu 17-Mar-16 22:08:11

I started to watch it but could feel myself getting enraged at the cost of the toddler's clothes, so I switched off!

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 22:05:24

I watched this programme in amazement, shopping was a hobby!

Deedaa Thu 17-Mar-16 21:58:54

I watched last week's programme. The toddler had a wardrobe full of expensive clothes, many of which hadn't even been worn. I kept wondering if they were buying any books or toys for her and where were the scruffy clothes for painting and cooking in?

Teetime Thu 17-Mar-16 14:44:12

Oh Yes DH had something to say about tools and keeping them properly in the shed/garage. As I get older I have bought more expensive clothes but I want them to last and be classics - I don't turn them over as often as I did when I was younger I suppose we are less and less fashion victims as we grow to love quality and classics.

pompa Thu 17-Mar-16 09:41:24

I was amazed at what they were spending and that they had no idea if they actually needed what they bought.

I probably buy more expensive clothes etc now , than I used to, simply because I can afford them. But I only buy what I need.

The only thing I would take the programme to task over was tools. Generally with tools you get what you pay for. Good tools are a pleasure to use. they perform faster and better. That awful mower was a good example.

Teetime Thu 17-Mar-16 08:37:02

Did anyone else see this programme last night? I tuned it because I thought it might be a Martin Lewis kind of thing where he advised on money management but it wasn't. It was about excessive shopping for consumer goods and how to do it for less. Strangely I was more surprised at the Father's spending patterns than the woman and their daughter. DH rarely buys clothes in fact he would be naked if I didn't buy them and as for after shave if Father Xmas didn't bring it he would be au naturel. My father was the same. I thought most men were like this. Oh well another stereotype gone then. smile