Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What worth watching on telly at the moment?

(64 Posts)
granoffour Thu 05-May-16 16:33:36

I'm suffering from a Downton/Night Manager withdrawal...

KatyK Fri 06-May-16 11:14:50

I love The Durrells and I also love Peaky Blindeers. I have a lot of stuff recorded to watch including The Secret and The Club. We are also enjoying The Hairy Bikers Pub thing. It has been fascinating and informative.

Sauron3010 Fri 06-May-16 11:32:52

Try more 4 for foreign dramas. Can recommend thicker than water.

grandMattie Fri 06-May-16 12:05:20

love all the scandi-noir and even the welsh noir. Don't mind sub-titles.

I agree that there are now so many that the stories are starting to blend. "Line of Duty" was fantastic; and am enjoying "The Tunnel", and "Thicker than Water" - gave up on "Blue Eyes" - too much political corruption, reinforcing the image of politicians as chancers and on the make...

Yes, absolutely, we have been spoiled recently. Long may it last and make paying the fee worth it. Much less yoof stuff.

missdeke Fri 06-May-16 12:07:52

Sunday nights for me. The Durrells, then Indian Summers, then Home Fires on Ch 4+1 then back to BBC for Undercover on catchup. Thank goodness for modern TV!

Cosafina Fri 06-May-16 12:29:03

Line of Duty, Happy Valley - oh I miss them both!
Marcella is OK and I'm recording The Secret but haven't had time to watch yet.
Have also recorded (but not watched) Undercover.
I'm enjoying the series on the Tube in London and still love First Dates (got loads of them recorded)

Cagsy Fri 06-May-16 12:34:36

I seem to have missed out on some of the programmes mentioned, don't know how that happened. I love food/cookery programmes so have been following Masterchef keenly, last one tonight though. Also Rick Stein's foodie weekends, I'm sure I could do that - getting paid for having a few days away eating and drinking!

We've enjoyed Boomers too and the daft slapstick of 'I want my wife back', very like 'The worst week of my life' a few years ago. Looking forward to another series of Last Tango, brilliant writing and acting. I think Happy Valley and Night Manager were two of the best things on TV for years, very dark but so engaging.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't take the ads, commercial TV and radio is not for me - I even paid for a special app so I could watch Downton without ads.

Summer scheduling almost here so guess there won't be much to look forward to till about September - except a glass of wine in the garden, if the rain holds off wine

Jaxie Fri 06-May-16 12:46:08

"Kabul Kitchen" on Channel 4 Walter Presents catch up. As engaging as " Breaking Bad".

Kittye Fri 06-May-16 13:28:57

Watched Peaky Blinders last night found it all a bit confusing... is this the second or third series?? I think I'll need to watch previous episodes to find out who's who and what the plot is? Rather violent thoughshock
Loving "Home Fires"and enjoying "The Durrells"and "In the Club". Last "Masterchef" this eveningsad

granfromafar Fri 06-May-16 13:42:16

I agree, merlotgran, that In The Club was complicated, and even though I watched the first series I'd forgotten how the characters were connected. Definitely worth watching though, as is anything by the brilliant Kay Mellor. (Especially as it's got Jonathan Kerrigan in it!)

Bellanonna Fri 06-May-16 13:43:36

Durrells series is excellent. Also Home Fires. Enjoyed Paul Merton's request stop programme about remote railway stations. I was disappointed in Kay Mellor's new series, think it's called In the Club. A mum gives birth in the lift. Apart from that scene, the rest was ok though. Not much else apart from repeats of Mock the Week. I love Hugh Denis's impersonations of Cameron, the Queen, Prince Charles et al.

kazgran Fri 06-May-16 13:54:21

I have been enjoying Masterchef for several weeks. such a nice bunch of people,

Line of Duty was, in my opinion, one of the best series ever. I also love Home Fires and Steve Blackshaw's series "Fierce". The massive spider had me hiding behind my hands........

Enjoying Ben Fogle in Africa and The Durrells too.

Enjoyed "Boomers" for its silly humour and wonderful actors.

merlotgran Fri 06-May-16 14:01:12

Saturday night TV is rubbish but I'm afraid Britain's Got Talent is my guilty secret blush

petra Fri 06-May-16 14:19:19

morethan2 Do you mean how do you watch Netflix or how do you get it.
Do you have a Smart TV, if yes, it's already on there. Just follow the instructions to sign up, it's very simple. If you haven't, go to Currys or some other electrical outlet and they will advise.
Do you have any games consoles? You can access it through them.
You could always watch it on your laptop or tablet.

Cath9 Fri 06-May-16 14:34:08

Does anyone remember the first drama about the Durrell family in Corfu, it must have been on many years ago? So for me, this one is just another repeat.

So many loved Upstairs, Downstairs, which was repeated often, so no doubt one will get a repeat of Downtown Abbey. My DL in NZ, also loved the drama and so did her sisters. What did you think of the latest drama written by Julian Fellows?

LullyDully Fri 06-May-16 14:46:51

We watched Gareth Malone getting the choir sorted for the Invictus Games. What a moving programme. The choir members were so strong, lacking self pity. He was so good at dealing with their fears...and his own. It is so easy to forget the wounded service people.

SewAddict Fri 06-May-16 15:14:38

We have to have Sky as we can't get a normal television signal so I watch
The Five on Sky, a good thriller and it's British. I also love Blindspot on Sky living, another cracking thriller, it's American but really well written.
I sew so I am looking forward to The Sewing Bee starting soon. I also love Masterchef but that is about to finish. sad

Sheilasue Fri 06-May-16 15:18:48

Loving marcella at the mo. Like Midsomer murders, also been watching west wing again. Undercover really gripping and have recorded perky blinders.

Sheilasue Fri 06-May-16 15:20:02

Sorry peeky blinders

cavaliermum Fri 06-May-16 15:46:28

Teatime
You mentioned Netflix
What kind of stuff is on , is it all movies ?
Thanks
X

adrisco Fri 06-May-16 16:17:19

The Durrells, Home Fires, Hinterland and In the Club. Really looking forward to new series of Last Tango in Halifax .. whenever that may be! Also looking forward to The Doctor Blake Mysteries and A Place to Call Home.

Hepopal Fri 06-May-16 16:24:10

Agree that lots of the dramas have been fantastic.
However I have just watched Grayson Perry 's first programme from channel 4 last night. Very moving and as many of us are grandparents of boys ,very thought provoking.
A bonus is that his art is sensational.

NanKate Fri 06-May-16 16:46:46

I might give GP a whirl and I do realise he is a talented artist, but his appearance as a pantomime dame just sickens me.

I am open to all shades of sexuality but there is something about GP that gives me the shivers. I bet he wouldn't think too much to me either grin

jeberdes83 Fri 06-May-16 16:56:29

We watched the first episode of "Peaky Blinders "" last night. Have never seen or heard of it before,(lived abroad) . Don't even know what the title means and found the language sadly lacking!! We are not prissy, but found the use of the "F" word in every sentence really offputting!
Watched the trailer of "The Club" but I don't think I would like it,didn't like the voices!

Ana Fri 06-May-16 17:05:16

NanKate, I agree with you about Grayson Perry. He may be a talented artist, but that 'little girl' dressing-up is very creepy...

Pittcity Fri 06-May-16 17:07:24

Excellent documentary series about the Silk Road on BBC4. Recommended to me by GMA at the Norfolk meetup and well worth watching.