Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What worth watching on telly at the moment?

(64 Posts)
granoffour Thu 05-May-16 16:33:36

I'm suffering from a Downton/Night Manager withdrawal...

TerriBull Fri 06-May-16 17:31:12

jeberdes83 - "Peaky Blinders" the name came about because that particular gang, who did exist apparently, had razors sewn into the peaks of their caps in order to damage the eyesight of enemies, presumably when headbutting them - doesn't bear thinking about personally I'm squeamish about eyes shock

Having said that picked up series 3 last night having missed half of series 1 and all of series 2, wished I hadn't now, very innovative and stylish, even if they have taken historical liberties. Love the way a modern soundtrack has been woven in.

Not a lot on at the moment quite like The Durrells and Home Fires, not riveting but good. I also quite like Marcella although it's been panned and some of the threads are confusing. I'm missing BBC 4 Scandi, liked the recent "Follow The Money" All the really good tv Line of Duty and Happy Valley, The Night Manager have finished. In The Club , The Kay Mellor drama, disappointing.

Alima Fri 06-May-16 17:34:06

I think the title Peaky Blinders refers to the blades they wore in their caps to injure their enemies. Don't take my word on that, not seen it yet.

adaunas Fri 06-May-16 21:29:15

I like The Big Bang Theory. Masterchef has been great especially with the mum of 4, but for background TV when I'm marking/planning I love Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta. The repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys are on again but I wish she/he would use reckon instead of xxxxxxx. I laugh every time I am tempted to say "That's nice"

bartonlady Fri 06-May-16 21:37:27

The Durrells
Indian Summers
Home Fires
The new Peaky Blinders (loved the previous series!)
Question Time
The Chase....find Bradley so funny!

Missing Prue and Tim West on their canal journeys, Mr Selfridge and Downton of course!!

rubylady Sat 07-May-16 01:52:01

I agree with you Ana about Grayson Perry and under other circumstances I do wonder if he would be seen in a very different light. If he was living in social housing, claiming benefits, dossing, seen going out to the pub/betting shop and walking about the streets in his little girl get ups, then what would happen to him then? I don't think society would be accepting of him like they are just because he is apparently an artist. Not my kind of man at all. Very disturbing behaviour from a grown up, imo.

Other than that, I enjoyed the first episode of The Club back this week. It was a little confusing working out who had been with whom, how old the babies were now and how much time had passed, who was now pregnant again. It was a little corny, the baby being born in the lift though. And quite obvious that the "found baby" was the woman's with the teenage daughter. Big red arrows all over it but still enjoyable for the actresses and actors in it. smile

tiredoldwoman Sat 07-May-16 03:36:09

Thicker than Water finished on Thursday night , I wonder what will replace it . I like all that Scandi stuff .

suzied Sat 07-May-16 03:44:58

Cavalier mum- Netflix isn't all movies, there's lots of tv box sets and they now commission their own series like House of Cards with Kevin Spacey and Orange is the New Black.

nathansgran47 Sat 07-May-16 20:40:24

Really enjoyed Line of Duty. Also the A word. Think we have been rather spoiled recently. Anyone else enjoyed Grantchester?

HannahLoisLuke Sat 07-May-16 22:26:00

I'm watching The Secret too but it's giving me the creeps. I heard James Nesbitt talking about it on Saturday Live a couple of weeks ago and was intrigued. I'm a fan of Nesbitt anyway but I much prefer him in his "Jack the Lad" roles like Cold Feet and Monroe. In this he is really evil and quite scary. The sign of a good actor I suppose. I'm glad it's only three episodes, it's gripping but very unsettling especially being a true story.

Bbnan Sun 08-May-16 00:01:43

Have taken to watching sky as tv is so bad
Watched some great series lately
Billions
Scandal
Line of duty
Madame secretary
A lot need to be downloaded
Worth buying last tango in Halifax

f77ms Sun 08-May-16 06:56:55

I am enjoying The Secret with James Nesbit , very creepy !
The Durrells is good especially now she has hooked up with the gorgeous neighbour .
I do enjoy a good British drama , not so keen on all the American imports we get though .

Marmark1 Sun 08-May-16 08:22:36

Me too Hannah,but it's too late now I'm hooked.
Love the Durrells and home fires.

carerof123 Sun 08-May-16 09:18:43

I am watching The Durrells, Home Fires, and Indian Summer.

Also love Normal in Norfolk one of those fly on the wall progs about upper class people in there large house trying to find ways to raise cash to keep the estate running.

I love University challenge as i am amazed that anyone can even understand some of the questions let alone answer them!! I think i am brainy if i can answer one question so its a bit of a challenge for myself when watching. lol.

I also loved A Place Called Home when it was on in the afternoons during the winter, it was set in Australia and about a nurse returning after the second world war. Just hoping that it returns later in the year as we have been left hanging not knowing the outcome of several story lines.