Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dick Strawbridge - Escape to the Chateau

(60 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 05-Jun-16 21:03:47

Did anyone else watch this tonight? I'm looking forward to seeing how his wife-to-be furnishes it.

I guess he won't be voting Brexit!

Deedaa Sun 29-Apr-18 21:58:52

I'm enjoying the afternoon ones. All that lovely sun and scenery!

merlotgran Sun 29-Apr-18 19:36:10

I'm enjoying the afternoon programmes about other Brits renovating their chateaux. They are living in stunning buildings in wonderful settings even if it means sailing close to the wind at times.

merlotgran Sun 29-Apr-18 19:26:28

confused

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:59:19

Yes that was bizarre and a bit control freakery for my liking. MsAdoree thinks she comes across as all smiley and cuddly. I think she looks like a right bitch!

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:55:19

I agree. Self promoting and smug is how they appear.

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:52:22

Exactly but I love how she steers others to pick wedding flowers from their meadows then has a hissy fit over her wedding bouquet! Double standards methinks.

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:50:26

Nope!

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:49:37

Don’t forget his army pension

Snoosie Sat 28-Apr-18 01:48:13

Yes!!!! I thought so too! Only gay in the village etc!

Deedaa Thu 08-Dec-16 20:34:47

It's a stunning building isn't it?

gulligranny Thu 08-Dec-16 18:20:53

We are loving this - Dick and Angel are gloriously bonkers but very hard-working, and they have brought that lovely building back to glamorous life. And their little boy is totally adorable!

Deedaa Tue 06-Dec-16 21:57:49

I started off thinking she was very silly and irritating, but she really is very clever and has some lovely design ideas. The bathroom tiles she made were perfect.

Luckygirl Mon 05-Dec-16 20:25:40

I have only seen this once (last night)and I thought they were both nuts, but it was lovely to see people smiling and being optimistic - there is not a lot of that in this house!

TriciaF Mon 05-Dec-16 15:45:06

Exactly Lillie. (endear him to the locals.)
The workers who come over from the UK will be seen by the locals as working "on the black" ie not being registered and not paying their dues in France.
He will have realised that keeping to the french regs. is more carefully checked. Especially if he ever wants to sell the place.

Lillie Mon 05-Dec-16 14:06:01

not to abide by!

Lillie Mon 05-Dec-16 14:04:51

That's a good point merlotgran. I know there's a tough law in France about fencing in swimming pools or providing a sensor alarm if you are letting rooms or holiday properties. Would have thought the same should apply to the lake.

Dick does seem to go out of his way to abide by French regulations in terms of building, electrics etc. Even the carp man came over from the UK. Surely that doesn't endear him to the locals, at least Peter Mayle (A Year in Provence) employed all French artisans.

merlotgran Mon 05-Dec-16 13:43:23

I think Angel's parents are looking after the children.

DH has said right from the beginning that their biggest money spinner will be carp fishing in the moat but I do wish they'd fence it off - at least until the children are older and can swim.

TriciaF Mon 05-Dec-16 11:39:42

So do I - very entertaining, though a lot of things seem to be unexplained and unrealistic.
eg who looks after the two little children while they're doing all this work? Entertaining wedding guests etc? They must have a nanny, or several.
And how does she find the time to colour her hair, put on all that makeup, choose her clothes?

Lona Mon 05-Dec-16 10:18:49

I do love it though grin

Lona Mon 05-Dec-16 10:17:54

This makes my blood pressure rise!
She has him wrapped around her little finger. I can't wait to see the lift in working order and I wonder what she will think of next.
Shysal The moustache is bad enough but he could have a family of mice in that beard! How could she?
?

merlotgran Sun 04-Dec-16 23:37:58

I was crying with laughter when he proudly showed off the prototype model of the lift and demonstrated Angel going up in it. grin

Lillie Sun 04-Dec-16 23:17:14

Mon Dieu, it's back! That bathroom wouldn't have been my choice, but I can see what she was trying to achieve.
Will that lift be safe, and if it only fits one person in it, what about your suitcases etc.? Crazy!

shysal Fri 25-Nov-16 10:19:08

Looking forward to it!

tiredoldwoman Wed 23-Nov-16 16:10:36

Yes, I saw it advertised and got all excited . I loved the last series - can't wait !

merlotgran Wed 23-Nov-16 15:21:56

There's a new series starting on Channel 4 this coming Sunday at 8pm.

Really enjoyed the last one so looking forward to it.