Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dick Strawbridge - Escape to the Chateau

(59 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 05-Jun-16 21:03:47

Did anyone else watch this tonight? I'm looking forward to seeing how his wife-to-be furnishes it.

I guess he won't be voting Brexit!

Lillie Sun 05-Jun-16 21:16:12

Yes, lovely property, but you need to be a bit eccentric or mad to take on such a project - and be filmed doing it!
I hope he's not going to bring all his workers over from the UK.

Lona Mon 06-Jun-16 08:56:19

I loved the chateau but they must be mad, it's a money pit!
They have already spent their cash!?
It seemed a bit romanticised to me envy but I'll be watching every episode.

TerriBull Mon 06-Jun-16 09:03:41

Fabulous, fairy tale property. He will need a more than a million to put it right, it's a long term project I imagine. Good luck to them though.

loopylou Mon 06-Jun-16 13:28:42

I'm quite envious, I'd love to have the money to take on somewhere like that.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

merlotgran Mon 06-Jun-16 13:36:51

I often wonder just how much celebs get paid for these projects. They are bound to go way over budget and miraculously, the money will be 'found' in the nick of time. hmm

They've moved to France, Lock, Stock and Barrel and already used up all their savings but no mention as to whether or not he's sold his house in Cornwall which featured in 'It's Not Easy Being Green'

AyjayF Mon 06-Jun-16 13:41:33

Yes merlotgran I wonder how the money works. The narrator will say all money has been used up then miraculously electrics, water is being sorted out.

HildaW Mon 06-Jun-16 14:56:50

The concept annoys me a bit. I liked his 'Its not easy being green' series with his (1st)wife and family....it all seemed rather charmingly and genuinely slap dashed but well intentioned....this has got all the air of a midlife crisis relationship that needs funding!....or am I just being a tad too cynical?

merlotgran Mon 06-Jun-16 15:07:22

angeladoree.co.uk/The-Vintage-Patisserie/

Not a bad leg up for her business either.

TriciaF Mon 06-Jun-16 17:28:21

I haven't seen the programmes, but chateaux in France are relatively cheap, if you have a house to sell in SE England.
It's a shame because they're beautiful .
There's a small one in our village but it's now all covered with brambles, you couldn't give it away.
What people don't realise when they start these projects is that if they do succeed in making it habitable they will be lumbered with huge property taxes, and the costs of maintenance.
And it will be difficult to sell.

Deedaa Tue 07-Jun-16 20:24:58

I hate to sound like my own granny but I kept worrying about how they would manage two small children with all that water. And where do these men find these women? His wife was a little odd with her thing about fairies, and so far this one's mani talent seems to be getting in the way.

tiredoldwoman Wed 08-Jun-16 06:22:12

I loved this programme but was constantly distracted by Angel Adoree , she reminded me of Matt Lucas' Little Britain characters .

Lillie Tue 14-Jun-16 22:40:37

Angel is definitely very artistic. I loved the way she ran the braiding down the wallpaper triangles.

merlotgran Tue 14-Jun-16 22:43:44

I loved the kitchen tiles.

tiredoldwoman Wed 15-Jun-16 17:53:31

Have just watched last night's programme , I'm beginning to adore Angel Adoree ! Looking forward to next week's episode .

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 20:28:39

I must be very grumpy

His last project was on the telly, with first wife and first family.

Now he has a new wife-to-be and a new family and a new project - on the telly.

Is it just me? Can't stand him.
Angel Adoree? I suppose no-one can help their name.
What happened to the last lot - have they been mentioned?

What an old misery I must be.

Deedaa Wed 15-Jun-16 21:38:04

He did a TV series sailing round England and cooking with one of his sons and they wrote some good self sufficiency books together.

I see the in laws have been brought in to mind the children smile I did love the way she had decorated the turret with that wall paper. And what a find the paper was! The kitchen tiles were good too, I shall be interested to see how they stand up to the heat and steam in a kitchen.

Still think it all looks a bit mid life crisis though!

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 23:38:38

It must be me

Mrs J. Grumpy
smile

Lona Thu 16-Jun-16 08:26:17

It all looks too unrealistic to me. The windows are leaking and falling out and she's fannying about with bits of wallpaper! (Yes, I loved the effect in the turret room too)
Not to mention the helter-skelter! ?

merlotgran Thu 16-Jun-16 08:42:26

I thought the turret room was ghastly shock

I loved the individual rolls of wallpaper and agree it was a shame to waste them but put together in that diamond pattern?

Headache!

As usual all the money will be found in time to complete the project - I wonder what Dick's mysterious 'job abroad' was.....Popping off to bank Channel 4's cheque?

TriciaF Thu 16-Jun-16 08:58:46

We watched the first 2 episodes last night (recorded.) Then I looked up on the internet. One bit was his commentary on the repairs and how they funded it. He said he had to take off March to ?Oct. last year and did some programmes for the National Geographic, to earn some money.
It seems they've only tackled a few rooms, and use the orangerie for wedding meals. Heating is gas, must be propane because I can't see them getting town gas there. There's quite a bit more info online, just google his name.
I used to belong to the forum "It's good to be Green" following his early series.
I agree with Jalima - he doesn't appeal to me at all. Except as husband says he'll have a good pension from the army.

Deedaa Thu 16-Jun-16 16:01:49

Didn't he win Celebrity Masterchef? Could be useful if you were looking for a husband grin

If DH and I were doing something like this and I suddenly demanding a helter skelter instead of fitting the kitchen I think he'd have chucked the whole thing and buggered off back to England. I'm obviously lacking the Wrapping a Man Round my Little Finger gene!

Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 19:55:15

Me too Deedaa - and I'd settle for a new kitchen!

Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 19:57:06

Except as husband says he'll have a good pension from the army.
Not that good probably! At least, not living in the manor (or chateau) to which he has become accustomed!

He sold his Cornish home for quite a bit, but I suppose he had to split that with his ex-wife.

Jalima Thu 16-Jun-16 20:04:34

He did 22 years in the Army, apparently, rank on leaving Lieutenant Colonel so comparable with Commander in the RN or Wing Commander in the RAF.

So a good pension but not riches