Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

One Night in 2012

(9 Posts)
Badenkate Mon 18-Jul-16 12:23:39

Don't know if anyone saw this last (Sunday) night. It was on after the late news on BBC1. DH and I saw part of it and then recorded the rest (easier than catch-up) because it was so interesting but didn't finish until after midnight and we had to get up early. It was about the setting up and rehearsals for the Olympic Opening Ceremony - which I thought was absolutely fantastic. Just seeing how they coped with all the volunteers - getting them dancing, playing drums (actually buckets because they couldn't afford that many drums), practising the movements in and out of the arena. And in the middle of it all Danny Boyle looking as though he was having the time of his life. Really can recommend it if you didn't catch it.

gettingonabit Mon 18-Jul-16 12:36:11

Thanks badenkate for reminding me to watch it. Will catch up later.

merlotgran Mon 18-Jul-16 12:38:05

We enjoyed it as well. Amazing how it all came together on the night and seeing Giles Coren squirming over his (early) negative review was an added treat.

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 12:58:32

I watched some of it but it made me very sad thinking of what it was like then and how things are now sad. The opening ceremony was truly amazing.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Jul-16 13:15:24

Can't believe it's been four years. I was a gamesmaker and it was the best, best summer

glammanana Mon 18-Jul-16 13:32:04

It was amazing seeing how it all came to-gether what a fabulous job all those people did.

gettingonabit Mon 18-Jul-16 14:26:20

Watching it now. So memorable. What a triumph. And yes, a fab summer. Brings a lump to the throat.sad.

Joelsnan Mon 18-Jul-16 14:51:51

When I see all of the negativity towards UK in the media at the moment, it was so uplifting to relive that olympics opening night and to see what a wonderful nation we are and will continue to be despite the professional doom mongering. The innovation, cooperation,imagination, teamwork and damned hard work in staging that event was truly remarkable.

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 15:04:11

I went into the garden one afternoon for a short while and jokingly said to the S.O. 'I suppose we've won another gold medal while I've been away' and, guess what? We had #itmighthavebeentwoaswell Even the weather obliged....