Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Old movies

(69 Posts)
Jayh Mon 29-Aug-16 17:41:51

Old black and white movies are my guilty pleasure. I have just watched 'Now, Voyager' starring Bette Davies and even though I have seen it many times over the years it still reduces me to tears. Two people, much in love, who can't be together because of the strict moral code of the time. It wouldn't happen today.
I like these old movies for the social history as much as anything else. Anyone else a fan?

chloe1984 Mon 29-Aug-16 17:59:52

I sat and watched that as well has to be one of my favourites. I always love the way he lights two cigarettes - such an intimate gesture.

Moviemad Mon 29-Aug-16 18:02:43

Its a bit odd that nobody seems interested in films. Yes I am a film fan from since I was small. I have put a thread up on which to date one person has looked at which is strange seeing that the Archers got over 400 ? Anyway, try a few doors down at my thread on old films which will take you to my website Google -- www.takeoneinplease.com
Try the page on British films and see if you agree.

Jayh Mon 29-Aug-16 18:17:38

Yes, lighting the two cigarettes is so romantic in that film. They probably didn't live a long and healthy life though.

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 18:33:04

Will do moviemad I love old films . Sunday afternoon at home with Mum when I was a teenager ,there was always a good b*w film on . `The Good Earth` was a favourite or anything with Fred Astaire or Jimmy Cagney

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 19:11:10

I love old movies too! One of my favourites - a complete load of old tosh - is ”I know where I’m going" with Roger Livesey and Wendy Hiller; I could watch it forever. Best though for me was always The Prisoner of Zenda, the 1937 version, with Ronald Coleman, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, David Niven and C. Aubrey Smith. Upper lips have never been so stiff and lots of swash and buckle for good measure.

Teetime Mon 29-Aug-16 19:26:17

I love that film but its Random Harvest that get to me.

gettingonabit Mon 29-Aug-16 19:51:46

I love:

Seance on a Wet Afternoon.
Brighton Rock.
Brief Encounter.
Psycho.
Birds.
Gaslight.
Mrs Miniver.
Baby Jane.
Double Indemnity.
Notorious.
Marnie.
Reach for the Sky.
Dambusters.
Spiral Staircase.
Not all, but most, Hitchcock.

I don't like musicals or romances.
Oh, and not so old, but The Exorcist.

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-16 20:29:54

Casablanca, anyone? Philadelphia Story! Maltese Falcon! Somebody stop me NOW! (No that's not a film).

Anniebach Mon 29-Aug-16 20:34:02

The Third Man - camera work brilliant

Citizen Kane. - deserves being top film by critics

Billy Budd. - great acting and when I first fell for Terrence Stamp

All Hitchcock films

Gone With The Wind

The Night of the Hunter - Mitchum is so wicked

Cape Fear. - same reason

To Kill a Mocking Bird.

All Grrgory Peck films

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Aug-16 20:37:39

I watched "It happened one Night" with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert recently. I found it on Netflix and added it to my list. We used to watch the old films when the BBC ran them on a Sunday afternoon.

Jayh Mon 29-Aug-16 22:13:10

I looked at your site moviemad. Lots of information there, thanks.
I used to find Norman Wisdom films very funny. I wonder if I still do? I will try to find one to watch.
I still laugh at Some Like It Hot and The Importance Of Being Ernest despite having watched them numerous times. Some humour just stands the test of time.

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Aug-16 23:01:35

I recorded Now, Voyager this morning, when I happened to notice it was on. I'm looking forward to watching it again, but just find there is so much on the television now that I want to see that it's hard to fit it all in. We're very spoilt these days. I used to watch all the old films on the TV back in my teens, and loved most of the above. White Heat, Meet Me in St Louis, Father of the Bride, Friendly Persuasion, Father Goose were other favourites. And all the old hammy Hammer Horrors, that I used to catch when I got in off the last bus on a Saturday night. Oh, and The Nun's Story, which made me want to take the veil for at least a month grin

Eloethan Mon 29-Aug-16 23:44:36

My favourite old black and white Christmas film is The Shop around the Corner - every character is so finely drawn.

I also like Rebecca, Brief Encounter and Whistle down the Wind.

I loved Norman Wisdom too. I have looked at a few clips on You Tube but they don't seem very funny to me now and I'm not sure if NW would appeal to my grandchildren.

PRINTMISS Tue 30-Aug-16 08:09:12

It will always be "Brief Encounter" for me, and although "I know where I'm going" is indeed a load of rubbish it is the song that haunts.

Falconbird Tue 30-Aug-16 08:20:03

I love The Thirty Nine Steps - any version - but my absolute favourite is the one with Kenneth Moore in the starring role.

I also love Genevieve with Kenneth Moore and Brief Encounter with all that pent up emotion.

The stars in the old films used to seem really ancient to me but now I'm nearly 70 I see them as attractive young people confused

Greyduster Tue 30-Aug-16 09:00:10

My d-i-l was visiting me one wet Saturday afternoon, and Rebecca was on tv so we watched it together (her idea, not mine, though I could watch it till the cows came home). She had heard of it but never seen it and she thought it was wonderful. What a great cast! George Sanders - the archetypal cad - and the wonderfully sinister Judith Anderson; bumbling Nigel Bruce, and another appearance by C. Aubrey Smith. David Niven has some wonderful anecdotes in his book "the Moon's a Baloon" about this core of British stalwarts of Hollywood casting.

Elegran Tue 30-Aug-16 09:29:03

Blazing Saddles - I was reminded of that today when I read that Gene Wilder has just died (He was Willy wonka too)

Blazing Saddles is a hoot from start to finish, taking the piss out of Westerns, racists, movie cliches - the lot.

Lupin Tue 30-Aug-16 11:35:48

Oh this thread gave me nostalgic memories of the family grouped around the tele on a Sunday afternoon for the film.
I loved anything with Cary Grant - Bringing Up Baby (although Katherine Hepburn irritates me now) and Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House ( I think).
We all used to love a good Western. The ones that stay in the mind are Stagecoach and High Noon. Gary Cooper was so tortured and Grace Kelly was so beautiful in the latter.
I know it wasn't black and white but I love She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with John Wayne.
There's something more revealing about black and white photography and cinematography. I can't define it. Perhaps it captures mood more.

kooklafan Tue 30-Aug-16 12:01:48

We watched Now Voyager too, my favorites include Rebecca, Brief Encounter and Marnie as previously mentioned, The Enchanted Cottage. Beloved Infidel, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, A Star is Born, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, I just love all kinds of movies to be honest and musicals too, Gene Kelly in Brigadoon, Show Boat, love Ava Gardner, Carousel, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers etc etc etc smile

Humbertbear Tue 30-Aug-16 12:03:00

I love Now Voyager and used to watch it on a triple bill with An Affair to Remember and Notorious. I also love Roman Holiday. I am gradually introducing my GD to old musicals. She loves Judy Garland and Doris Day!

kooklafan Tue 30-Aug-16 12:03:24

oh, and Penny Serenade XX

LuckyDucky Tue 30-Aug-16 12:30:17

Gonna be negative; we pay a colossal amount to Sky and expect new or newish programmes, films etc., so I don't
watch them - generally.

I do admit the photography is better and the scripts are fleshed out properly.

OTOH I prefer fast paced films or series, be they humorous
rom-coms.

Could watch Romancing the stone over and over: It has everything = humour, adventure etc., particularly the one where the heroine slides down a hill ( say no more grin

missdeke Tue 30-Aug-16 12:40:33

My guilty pleasure is The Railway Children, if it comes on tv I drop everything to watch it. 'Daddy, my Daddy'gets me every time.

rosesarered Tue 30-Aug-16 12:46:54

I do enjoy some old films, but it's like today, as in some films are excellent, some quite good, some so-so and others are turkeys.
When a child ( about 11, when we first got a tv) I came to equate 'Up Periscope' with wet and boring Sunday afternoons, it was on so often.
The only difference between then and now is that back then they made many more films, and most people went to the cinema every week.