Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Yanks

(14 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 14-Oct-16 20:27:25

Help! Help! Help!

We recorded Yanks. Watched it to the bit where Matt's friend and the Clippie get married and Jean goes home alone and then, omg, the film stopped.

Does anyone know how it ends? Does Matt come back for Jean? Does the Clippie's husband come back? What happens between Helen and the American Commanding Officer?

I'm praying someone can help us because I'm dying to know how it ends.

Jane10 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:58:12

What channel was it on? Could you find it on catch up,

Ana Fri 14-Oct-16 22:09:01

If you google the film you can usually find a precis.

vampirequeen Fri 14-Oct-16 22:22:56

It wasn't on a channel with catch up and the summaries online don't tell you the end of the film.

sad

Deedaa Sat 15-Oct-16 20:00:23

I went to see this with by mother and my best friend when it first came out. My mother loved it because she said Richard Gere was just like the young GIs she remembered. My friend enjoyed it because her mother had been a GI bride. Sadly I can't remember how it all panned out so I'm not much use to you at all.
I do remember my mother commenting on how dark the beginning of the film was and then saying "Oh God! It's the blackout isn't it!" and she was the one who'd lived through it!

vampirequeen Sun 16-Oct-16 15:37:27

It's such a lovely gentle film but I wish I knew the ending lol

shysal Sun 16-Oct-16 16:10:14

You can purchase a copy on Ebay for a fiver!. You could buy it then sell it on again.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yanks-DVD-/331638358528?hash=item4d372fc200:m:moCVz5IAifOg-52UyC7_Miw

BBbevan Sun 16-Oct-16 16:24:08

It ends at York railway station. Jean's mother dies. Jean has to chase through the town when all the 'Yanks' are shipped out. She manages to see Richard Gere. All will end happily we are led to believe. Helen and the American Co. part and he goes away.

DH loves this film so he has told me what happens. However there is so much more. Do buy it if you can

vampirequeen Sun 16-Oct-16 16:45:01

Ah so we never see if he comes back. We just hope he does.

Thanks.

Your DH is right. It's a lovely film.

Deedaa Sun 16-Oct-16 21:23:59

Sadly, I imagine that he probably wouldn't come back.

BBbevan Mon 17-Oct-16 05:53:55

Deedaa of course he came back, and they all lived happily thereafter

vampirequeen Mon 17-Oct-16 12:22:13

I've decided to write my own ending.

Matt came back for Jean. Together they build a chain of motels across the US and lived happily ever after.

The clippie's husband sent for her and she went to live in the US. He opened a garage, they had six children and lived happily ever after.

Helen's husband was killed. The Yank commanding officer went back to the US but soon realised that his marriage was over so got a divorce. He continued to live in the US until 1974 when he returned to the UK for the 30th anniversary of D Day, visited where the base had been and met Helen by chance. They realised they still had feelings for each other, got married and ...yes you've guessed it....lived happily ever after.

I love a happy ending lol.

BBbevan Mon 17-Oct-16 18:18:06

When do you start filmingvampire It should be a box office hit.Put me down for two tickets please smile

vampirequeen Mon 17-Oct-16 20:33:44

grin