Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Last Tango in Halifax

(84 Posts)
Gagagran Sat 10-Dec-16 21:23:13

Hurrah! There is a 2-part special scheduled for 19 December BBC1 (part 1). Absolutely loved this drama series and can't believe it's 2 years since the last (series 3) when we were promised there would be a series 4. It never happened!

We lived in that area for 40 years so know it well and recognise a lot of the locations used. Really looking forward to it.

Teetime Sun 11-Dec-16 06:42:11

That is good news I have just re watched the first 6episodes on Drama.

Iceskater Sun 11-Dec-16 15:23:00

Delighted to hear that 'Last tango in Halifax' is showing on the 19th Dec. It was a brilliant series

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Dec-16 00:08:18

Oo-er, there's definitely something nasty in the woodshed barn 😱😱😱

Shanma Tue 20-Dec-16 00:16:46

The last time I watched TV was to see Last tango, so two? years ago, I can hardly believe that has flown by so fast.

We thought it was probably past it's best, but decided to give it a go this evening. I could have sat there and watched another 5 hours of it, brilliant as ever, we both really enjoyed it,can't wait for tomorrow now grin

Day6 Tue 20-Dec-16 01:17:29

I watched the series and tonight's offering and again, couldn't help feeling that if the only company I had was Caroline's and Gillian's I'd run for the hills. There is a gloom which pervades the whole thing...and that's just the dialogue. It's set in old, crumbling, badly-lit houses too. It should have been entitled "It's Grim Up North" I reckon.

Yes, it's well written and well-acted but several times tonight, in several scenes I thought to myself "FFS,either cheer up woman or go and see a doctor about your misery and mood swings". Basically, it's a drama about miserable, pessimistic women who can hardly raise a smile.

Ann Reid and Derek Jacobi aren't the focus now. It's no longer about finding love late in life. They were in 'comedian and her stooge' roles tonight. There is nothing worse than being stuck with someone forever jolly, but pleasant and warm interactions wouldn't have gone amiss tonight. The haunted house, haunted barn and Ann Reid playing Madame Arcati felt a little forced. I'll continue watching but it's lost lots of credibility.

rubylady Tue 20-Dec-16 03:21:18

Day6 I have it recorded and will record part two to save for another day. Maybe I shouldn't bother saving it for special viewing? The title of the programme was the whole point, wasn't it? I am a Northerner, and we are not all like that, far from it. I am very funny! tchgrin

Alima Tue 20-Dec-16 06:22:39

I was in seventh heaven watching last night's episode, utterly brilliant. Cannot wait for tonight. Now I have realised it is only a two-part special and not a whole series, oh bum! I will just have to watch it from the beginning again.
Regarding the two year gap, wasn't that because Derek Jacobi had a fall quite a while ago and they needed to wait for him to recover?

Greyduster Tue 20-Dec-16 08:44:32

We watched it and I thought it was brilliant, with some genuinely funny moments. Only one more, what a great pity!

BlueBelle Tue 20-Dec-16 08:57:03

I thought it was brilliant and love the the two daughters interaction Life is miserable for a lot but I love their way of dealing with it I don't find either of them depressed or depressing just very funny and very normal
So sorry it's only two nights

Teetime Tue 20-Dec-16 09:38:42

I went to sleep - will try again this afternoon!!

MargaretX Tue 20-Dec-16 14:38:36

A little bit of Gillian goes a long way in my opinion.
Caroline's daughter is an unnaturally well behaved child
the actress has put on weight so we no longer have her nice jackets to look at
In other words I won't be watching the second part tonight.

merlotgran Tue 20-Dec-16 14:51:57

I agree about Gillian. Nicola Walker is overacting IMO

And I do miss Caroline's lovely house.

Ana Tue 20-Dec-16 15:12:48

I didn't notice Caroline had put on weight, but I think Gillian's lost some, and it makes her look a bit haggard IMO.

Wonder why that barn's suddenly become 'haunted' - it must be years since Gillian killed her husband in there!

Luckygirl Tue 20-Dec-16 15:15:14

I watched and it was OK, but a bit overdone on the "grim up north" aspect; and the play seemed a bit of a lightweight addition.

But.......I could hear it! This is the first time I have watched it with my new hearing aids and it was great. A lot of whispered exchanges in this programme passed me by before.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:25:05

I think the play was introduced as a way of keeping Alan and Celia more in the picture as their Last Tango seems to have settled into marital humdrum bliss.
Though why on earth they would want to live with Caroline beats me - newly weds, even elderly ones, not just living in the granny annexe but actually now living in the same grotty house?
How come Caroline's sensible older son who went off to uni has turned into such a drip?

However, I will continue to watch it, Derek Jacobi is, as usual, a delight and I think I mentioned on another thread the classic line which must be one of the best so far when Celia is trying to persuade Alan to take a part in Blythe Spirit:
'Me act? I can't act'
grin Wonderful!

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 15:26:55

I think her dead husband has only come back to haunt the barn since she married the policeman Ana.
I'm not sure where he was in the meantime wink

Charleygirl Tue 20-Dec-16 15:26:56

I recorded last night's and intend to do the same tonight. I have never seen it before, is it worth my while and would I have a clue what is going on?

BlueBelle Tue 20-Dec-16 16:09:27

I didn't think Caroline had put any weight on she looked the same to me I must admit I was a bit unsure about the dead husband in the barn but
Charleygirl I don't actually think it would mean much without the previous storyline

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 16:28:19

Charleygirl the whole point of the original Last Tango was the romance between two elderly widowed people who had known one another when they were at school and met again in old age.

It was lovely watching it all develop and the relationships between their two families; the storylines about the family members developed slowly. These two episodes seem more about their daughters.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 16:30:34

But if you get a chance to watch Series 1 and 2 (were there just 2?) then I think you may enjoy them to while away a few cold winters' evenings tchsmile

Christinefrance Tue 20-Dec-16 16:49:42

Think it's difficult to find story lines for Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi now they have married. I did think Caroline hit the nail on the head when she said to Gillian " why are they shuttling between our houses ".
Sarah Lancashire has put on some weight but is still attractive.
I agree Gillian has become a depressing character but then some people are.
Despite it losing some of the original sparkle I enjoyed it and will watch tonight's episode.

ninathenana Tue 20-Dec-16 17:04:12

H asked if Sarah Lancashire is pregnant tchshock I didn't think she looked that different.
Yes, Celia and Alan living with Caroline is a daft plot, isn't that new house dark and oppresive.
I believe there is a new series next year.

GrandmaL Tue 20-Dec-16 17:18:28

I agree you'd probably enjoy it more if you'd watched the first 2 series. DH had but still kept saying "who's she" ( wine delivery person) and who's he (drippy son) !
I loved it, even though I agree there are some odd points this time around. Maybe they have tried to cram too much into just 2 episodes. But really look forward to it again tonight. This and Midwife are probably the 2 programmes I've looked forward to this Christmas ( oh and the Bear Hunt!)

GrandmaL Tue 20-Dec-16 17:19:49

Actually I think there were 3 series!