Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

La La Land

(50 Posts)
Rigby46 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:37:28

I went to see this, somewhat unwillingly, last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And Ryan Gosling is rather lovely - as well as a good actor.

TerriBull Tue 24-Jan-17 16:19:36

I read today that La La Land has received 14 Oscar nominations, in my opinion it was ok, I liked some of the song and dance routines, but 14 Oscar nominations REALLY! it just wasn't THAT good. I don't think some of the all time greats got that many. Yes it's over hyped I'm afraid. Ryan Gosling is a good actor for sure, but Casey Afleck turned in an outstanding performance in Manchester By The Sea, now that is a film that deserves it acolades.

Anniebach Tue 24-Jan-17 16:20:11

It has been nominated for 14 Oscars

Ana Tue 24-Jan-17 16:33:06

I've been distinctly underwhelmed by the numbers from this film that they've played on the radio, and as I couldn't see what all the fuss was about when I eventually watched Mama Mia I doubt that La La Land would appeal to me.

NanKate Tue 24-Jan-17 19:40:46

LOVED IT grin

Emma Stone was a particularly good poignant actress. Ryan Gosling was good too. Their clothes were fab.

It was a pleasure to watch a romance as opposed to overt sex, I'm a bit old fashioned.

Kitty I couldn't stand Les Miserable either, so dark an depressing. I too was underwhelmed with Mamma Mia.

West Side Story, I went to see the premiere in Birmingham (I am sure there was one in London too) and the audience applauded at the end. I think I know every dance step and all the script. Fabulous.

We Will rock you, was good. I've forgotten my other favourite about the Hunch Back of N D, I'm sure someone will remind me.

Cunco Tue 24-Jan-17 20:04:15

Forgotten? It was called The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a musical which followed the film I understand.

Agree about Mamma Mia but disagree about Les Mis. I also liked Sunset Boulevard which seems to have disappeared from the radar.

kittylester Tue 24-Jan-17 20:06:51

West Side Story is my very favourite musical ever - I might have mention that before. blush

Craicon Tue 24-Jan-17 20:31:11

Definitely underwhelmed by La La Land. I couldn't wait for it to finish.

Floradora9 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:01:14

we did not wait for it to finish just gave up and went home early .

Badenkate Wed 25-Jan-17 08:42:44

There seems to be a big gap between those of us that really enjoyed LaLa Land and those that didn't. I wonder if it's because of our attitude to musicals generally? I'm not a musical lover generally, but the ones I do like tend to be out of the general trend: Rocky Horror, Blues Brothers, Grease, Moulin Rouge. Maybe those of you who didn't enjoy it prefer the more accepted musical form. By the way - I love Fred Astaire films ?

trendygran Wed 25-Jan-17 10:04:33

Saw this last week and the friend I went with and I both really enjoyed it as a lively escapist film. We've been surprised at other friends,and general comments on here and Facebook, how many did not enjoy it. Not quite sure what they were expecting.

Craicon Wed 25-Jan-17 10:21:44

Definitely a marmite film.

I love Rocky Horror, Blues Bros, Grease etc. Not overly keen on mainstream musicals but really disliked this one though.

Oh, and she's far too skinny in it. Her sticky out breast bones were crying out for some extra flesh.

I would have walked out but went with friends so felt obliged to wait until the end and pretend to enjoy it. They both loved it.

knspol Wed 25-Jan-17 13:31:28

Was expecting something along the lines of the old Fred Astaire/ Ginger Rogers movies but thought this fell far short. Seen better dancing on Strictly, the opening scene which I'd heard so much about was a big disappointment and it was only the trumpet and sax players and the last 5 mins or so of the story that was worth the visit - thank goodness the tickets were free!

NanKate Wed 25-Jan-17 15:56:58

Cunco I was trying to remember Phantom of the Opera, another classic.

Gigi was good, don't know if I would find that a bit too sugary now hmm

Cunco Wed 25-Jan-17 17:50:20

NanKate: Glad you found the answer.

I don't think the divergence of views on La La Land is a liking or not for musicals. Maybe, the people who liked it were so taken by the romance that the slow story, weak dancing and, compared with the best, simple music provided a pleasant background. Whatever else, they had much better value for their money, those who paid that is. smile

Thebeeb Wed 25-Jan-17 20:25:17

Didn't do anything for me.

Day6 Tue 31-Jan-17 02:05:18

Given how the critics are raving about the number of awards this film could collect I went expecting to be bowled over by something completely amazing. I felt seriously cheated because I thought it was OK and nothing more. I really cannot understand the hype and felt the opening sequence of traffic jam, dancing and singing was cheesy and well, boring. I wondered then if the whole thing was going to be as bad. It was OK, a love story and little else and why it's been hyped up is beyond me. Not a bad film, but disappointing in that it was much less than I imagined it to be.

NanKate Tue 31-Jan-17 07:36:43

Craicon you thought Emma Stone was too skinny, I disagree I thought it was lovely to see someone who was slim as the majority of women looked in the 1940s and 1950s. I think women in those times were more physical so used up the calories that way. I loved her dresses smile

So what is the next film we can review, good to see all the differing views ?

Iam64 Tue 31-Jan-17 08:51:38

I'm with you NanKate, I saw Emma Stone as having a good body shape. Anyone dancing as she does is unlikely to carry any spare weight. I also appreciated the fact her breasts hadn't been surgically enhanced or padded. She's the kind of shape most healthy and very active young women are. Her muscles were defined and she wasn't either anorexic or overweight, or surgically improved - progress!
The film is over hyped but so are many films. This film has arrived at a time when most of us need a bit of La La land to take our minds off other things going on in the US.

Cunco Tue 31-Jan-17 09:10:42

I saw 'Lion' yesterday, a very powerful story if a little dragged out towards the end.

It was in the smallest cinema of the complex and poorly attended. I hope it doesn't disappear without trace because I think it is one of the best films I have seen for quite some time. Quite a contrast to the 'La la Land' in every respect.

Izabella Tue 31-Jan-17 10:21:54

Totally agree Cunco. Raised all sorts of ethical issues surrounding adoption and the difficulties some face. Powerful stuff. I also loved the fact it was part based in Tasmania one of my fave places. I inadvertantly went when it was a special screening for Alzheimer's sufferers and their families, carers etc. Wonderful to see this happening and it was quite well attended too.

Beammeupscottie Sun 12-Feb-17 11:29:49

Very over-rated film. Pleasant - but somewhat redeemed by realistic non-romantic ending. Can't remember one song or feeling impressed by dancing.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Feb-17 11:53:34

On leaving the cinema, I overhead one lady say to her companion, "that was like asking for a cappuccino and discovering you got no coffee, only froth". Summed it up for me.

campodol Mon 13-Feb-17 14:05:59

If La La Land deserved the awards they got then in my mind the rest must have been rubbish

rosesarered Mon 13-Feb-17 14:15:22

I haven't seen it, but was with friends over the last few days who had seen it, like musicals,and actually thought about walking out of it, but didn't.In their view it was just about ok but no more than that.