Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

King Charles III

(67 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 11-May-17 00:15:32

I had been looking forward to this but didn't enjoy it at all. I wonder what the Royal family thought of it? None of them was shown in a good light at all, and for them to show Diana appearing to them was in very poor taste and most unpleasant for Wills and Harry. Kate was shown to be ruthless, Harry was feckless. I can imagine the Queen looking at it and pulling 'that face' when she disapproves of something. I think it's wrong - they can't answer back, they just have to put up with this stuff.
How different from the Crown which was much better and showed Elizabeth in a much more sympathetic way.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-May-17 00:26:49

I enjoyed the drama, but just as a drama, IYSWIM. It was an interesting scenario - should the public support a monarch trying to block a threat to free speech, or should they support the elected government trying to push it through? I also enjoyed the quasi-Macbeth scenario. It was well written and wcted, I thought. I doubt the Royal family enjoyed it though smile.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-May-17 00:28:04

acted, not wcted!

whitewave Thu 11-May-17 07:28:56

Have only seen half an hour of it so far as DH came in in the middle from his wood club and was yakking on about his evening.

What I did see I thought was of the highest quality, pity there isn't more stuff like it.

AyjayF Thu 11-May-17 07:42:47

It was riveting.
Great bit of imaginative writing.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 11-May-17 07:47:40

Agreed, it was quality stuff - we're so fortunate with our broadcasting services here in UK. The licence is worth every penny!

Pittcity Thu 11-May-17 08:30:00

I really enjoyed it. Very Shakespearean in style and totally fictional (as are Shakespeare's so called histories).

merlotgran Thu 11-May-17 08:39:32

Should entertainment be at other people's expense though?

I thought it was tasteless but then I suppose the anti Charles brigade who want the crown to pass to William will have loved it.

And before anyone points it out, I do realise it was fiction.

Karanlouise Thu 11-May-17 11:21:59

I really enjoyed it and thought it was well written and acted but at the same time I did feel it was very harsh on the current Royal family. But as other posters have said it is fiction. Would love to know what the Royal family think.

henetha Thu 11-May-17 11:27:10

I enjoyed it very much even though I was a bit shocked.
Mixed feelings about whether this sort of thing should be shown, but then we are a free country. I have some sympathy for the Royals having to put up with it though, - but couldn't bring myself to switch it off as I found it compelling. Also, the quality of writing and acting were excellent I thought.

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 11:36:18

I tried to watch it for about 20 minutes and was so bored I turned it off.

I love Drama and Shakespeare but this just didn't gel with me. each to their own I guess.

NfkDumpling Thu 11-May-17 12:11:46

I didn't think I'd like it, but found it completely compulsive viewing. Even the DH, who's very picky and doesn't like Shakespeare enjoyed it. I too wondered what the Royals would think of it, perhaps it was run by them first?

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 13:06:27

if they dont like how they're seen then maybe they should all just get REAL jobs.I'm sure Kate could well be ruthless,she changed University so she could be at the same one as her target prince and by heavens she bagged him....so no sympathy from me for her or any of them .It makes a change from all the gushing nonsense we see and read about them .

HildaW Thu 11-May-17 14:10:14

Such beautiful writing....Shakespearian in style so it had an added richness that lent much to the atmosphere. It was a work of fiction of course and few of us will ever know how truthful it was. However as a decent theatrical treat on TV I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Deedaa Thu 11-May-17 18:05:34

It shows how lucky we are to live here. You wouldn't get away with it in North Korea.

GillT57 Thu 11-May-17 19:01:32

Extremely well written and Shakespearean in style, I loved it. Tim Piggot-Smith gave a blinding final performance. Funnily enough (pedant alert) there was one thing I commented on which I thought was wrong; Charles poured tea from a pot into a cup...no tea strainer, surely he doesn't use teabags? I would think he uses only decent fresh leaf tea ( as do I)grin

kittylester Thu 11-May-17 19:05:06

I spotted that gillT!

I really enjoyed it and hope, but doubt, that Charles takes the hint!

GrandmaMoira Thu 11-May-17 19:46:22

I really enjoyed it. There's not many dramas that really get me interested but this did. The theatrical style added to it. I especially liked Charles and William.

MawBroon Thu 11-May-17 19:51:00

What makes you say Kate changed university so that she could "bag" William, paddyann
It's that sort of sniping that could turn me into a royalist. hmm
BTW Paw and I met at St Andrews too.

mcem Thu 11-May-17 20:06:45

Switched from where to go to St A?

Elegran Thu 11-May-17 20:22:37

Apparently she had been accepted at Edinburgh, and accepted her place, then cancelled it and applied to St Andrews. She and William had met by then.

Theere could have been any reason for this, not necessarily following William. And he wasn't exactly running away from her, was he? He could have persuaded her? Or avoided her?

As they say, a man chases a girl until she catches him.

mcem Thu 11-May-17 20:48:53

Well St A was my first choice and Edinburgh second.
(I know there are 3 St A graduates on GN.
Wonder if any uni can claim more).
Sorry - nonsequitur!

paddyann Thu 11-May-17 20:57:03

common knowledge mawbroon when it was announced William was going to St Andrews her mother arranged for her place at another university to be cancelled and enrolled her at St Andrews ,apparently with instructions on how to catch his eye...remember the see through dress at the St Andrews fashion show? Shades of Diana there !

Anniebach Thu 11-May-17 21:33:55

So who informed the public Mrs Middleton gave her daughter instructions on how to catch his eye? I think that is a most unkind thing to say , more so because it could be a great big porkie

Anniebach Thu 11-May-17 21:39:37

Seems thst allegation was from a book written by the Royal corespondent of --------The Daily Mail !