Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Corrie

(39 Posts)
Samie Fri 12-May-17 11:22:30

I'm just wondering if it's only me, or are other people struggling - with all the characters now on the programme I'm finding it difficult to remember who lives where, who has currently moved in with who, who has left who, who is married/has been married to who, who knows what and who doesn't, who is related to who, and as for all the children I hope they know where they belong cause it would take me a while to work it out. It must be difficult being the story writers but as for me I think I'm losing the 'plot'.

paddyann Fri 12-May-17 11:36:09

I used to watch it because it was quite lighthearted ,too much murder and affairs nowadays ,nobody is happy for more than ten minutes before disaster happens.I might give it a break for a while and see if it improves when I go back to it.Its become more Eastenders style and I stopped watching that years ago

Liz46 Fri 12-May-17 11:39:57

I just watch it out of habit now but don't worry if I miss some episodes.

Moocow Fri 12-May-17 11:47:04

I stopped watching it years ago because I felt it was having to compete with certain other soaps and so yes everyone has slept with everyone else and mixed up families so much there are no happy episodes anymore, from the bits I've seen. Soaps ain't what they used to be! Shame as I stuck with it far longer than I should because of it being the memory of happy times with my mum, when we would have the dishes washed and put away and settle down to watch Corrie. It was my youngest who kept saying she didn't like it that made me Wonder why I was still maintaining the habit.

angelab Fri 12-May-17 12:10:47

Sad, isn't it? I feel the same - have it on auto-record but lots of unwatched back-recordings are unwatched.

I still remember with great fondness the episode where all the Barlows went to an AA meeting to support Peter - it was absolutely brilliant with superb comic acting.

Alima Fri 12-May-17 12:21:53

Don't watch Corrie anymore, used to love Raquel for comedy, but have the same trouble with 'Enders, wot I watch. A good way of reminding yourself who did what to whom in a soap is to look up the character in Wikipedia, they give in-depth info on there.

trisher Fri 12-May-17 12:27:11

I stopped watching it some time ago. It had the best comedy moments and comic actors in the past, but then it went the way of the rest of the soaps and began to rely on drama and intrigue. Vera and Jack, Hilda and Stan couples who really knew how to act, they are much missed and all the extreme drama doesn't compensate for the lack of good writing and acting that gave an exaggerated picture of life in the north but held onto the humour and comedy that comes from there.

glammanana Fri 12-May-17 12:32:29

All the stories seem to be running along the same lines with the main 2 soaps mums with babies to different partners they are with at the moment all very confusing,no comedy as such as we used to see with Blanch and her one liners and the plot with the builder seems to have lost its way somewhere along the way.?? Both Eastenders and Corrie needs a big shake up and possibly new writers.

angelab Fri 12-May-17 13:22:39

They all seem to feel they must import loads of youg characters like Hollyoaks has, the oldies are allowed to leave/die off so left with really pretty poor acting in a lot of cases.

Christinefrance Fri 12-May-17 14:11:25

I loved Blanche and her comments, Hilda with her malapropisms. I think Mary and Norris provide a good comic element though. Some story lines drag on and become tedious.
I think I continue watching because its like a comfort blanket.

grannymouse303 Wed 24-May-17 14:26:53

You're not on your own here - I stopped watching it for a few weeks, and when I picked up again I really struggled. Lots of new characters have entered recently and I just don't think it's as good as it used to be. Lots of the established characters have left and I don't think it's the same.

suzied Wed 24-May-17 14:55:24

I think the Bethany / grooming storyline is quite a good one and will hopefully raise awareness. I missed a few episodes and have no idea what has happened with the Ken Barlow attack story, a bit too complicated. I do like Sally /Tim/ Rosie/Sophie and the Eva/ Maria / boyfriend whose name I can't remember triangle.

BlueBelle Tue 30-May-17 06:44:38

Aiden, Suzied
I do still enjoy Corrie but I think it would be easy to get confused if you missed a couple of episodes I think the Bethany story is good and a good eye opener I also think Tim is playing a good part and coming out as quite a comical but thoughtful character
I m not sure where Pat has got to or when he will have his comeuppance all those murders and crime and it's all gone quiet
I m presuming David and the girl ( can't remember her name) will fall for each other but how come she looks about 20 but has a son in the nick
It's all very intertwined
I can't remember half their names now there's an awful lot of characters to keep up with

downsized Tue 30-May-17 07:12:20

I used to love Corrie but am getting bored with it. The storylines drag on for so long and seem to be becoming more like EastEnders, which I gave up watching years ago.

Emmerdale is going the same way. They all seem to copy each other with their storylines. Preferred the old days.😞

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-May-17 08:06:46

I won't be giving up on Corrie any time soon, but some of the plots are too convoluted, and dragging on far too long. I think the grooming plot is excellent, and could well raise awareness where it's badly needed. The Ken down the stairs saga descended quickly into farce, with the comical Corrie police turning up every other day to arrest and stare sternly at every Barlow except Eccles (usually in full view of the rest of the street). This week's episodes should be worth watching though - I'm hoping to see the back of some of the dead wood.

There are still flashes of comedy genius, especially with Tim and Mary, who have some great one liners.

Luckylegs9 Tue 30-May-17 08:21:49

Loved, Blanche, Hilda and loads of the old characters. Life Morris and a couple of characters, but fed up with Toyah, Michelle, Nick and the one that had the abortion, This lot are all sleeping with each other, can't work out who is related to who anymore and switched over last night as can't watch tge Bethant storyline know it's based on real life, but so sordid.

Leonora47 Fri 02-Jun-17 13:38:14

Having watched Corrie from the very first episode, I am about to give up and desert from the ranks of fans.
What do the script writers think they are doing? We have had five characters in life- threatening situations in one episode.
When I was in infant school, we had a new box of Plasticine at the start of every term, and all the colours were bright and clean. Now, the lives of the Corrie characters are like that Plasticine at the end of every term; all mixed up and a gloomy muddy brown colour.
It seems that immediately any character who,finds them self temporally at odds, or apart from their usual partner,is impelled to impregnate/become impregnated by, any passing member of the opposite sex. (Unless they are gay, in which case, they pounce upon anyone who looks as if they could possibly be, 'turned'.
No one ever brings anyone new onto,'the street' from outside the half-square mile area; because no one works more than 100 yards from home.
This lot have become as inbred as the hillbilly communities of the deep-south of America. Their motto seems to be, 'if it's got a pulse, it's available.

gretel Fri 02-Jun-17 14:13:07

It's highly unlikely that Ken Barlow with all his wives/girlfriends would have stayed in the same house for 70+ years. Surely one of them would have said they wanted to move. It seems only Audrey is allowed to live away from the street. No one is on benefits and everyone finds a job on the Street. I know soaps don't reflect real life but the number of people crammed into each house is ridiculous.

Charleygirl Fri 02-Jun-17 14:15:03

I am also at the stage where I have to put on sub titles because I cannot always understand the mumblings of the younger ones. There is very little gentle comedy or one liners any more. It is death and destruction every week now.

I used to love the one liners from Roy's mother, cannot remember her name, she was in Tenko, I am showing my age!

I agree, I also have forgotten who has slept with who and who is the father of which baby/child. It needs a re-write,

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:20:54

I can't get over how incredibly rich Ken seems to be. All on his teacher's pension and odd newspaper articles that he wrote ages ago.
I like the comic characters though. Brian is a gem. Eileen used to be good fun. Gemma's stylist should get a special award for the awful outfits she turns up in.
The Bethany story is sickening but probably worth doing. Horrible to think that it may reflect reality.
I like that Steve fluctuates between comedy and being serious. Quote like real life.

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:21:12

Quite!

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 14:24:47

Thank goodness the awful Nick's b*ggered off! Can't believe Leanne was going to take him back yet again, he's such a prat...

Norris and Rita are still funny, although we don't see enough of them these days.

Ilovecheese Fri 02-Jun-17 14:27:17

I'm loving Corrie at the moment.
The relationship between Norris and Mary is lovely.
Mary is a riot.
Gemma is great.
Always been a big fan of Steve.

angelab Fri 02-Jun-17 14:35:45

Agree, massive fan of Steve, I've always thought he's a really talented actor, just chose to spend his career in a soap.

Leonora47 Sun 11-Jun-17 10:23:07

I seem to remember that,several years ago, Ken,& Deirdre re-mortgaged their house to pay for Tracy's defence counsel when she was accused of murdering her husband. Ken is probably still making repayments on his second mortgage; and as he hasn't worked for many years he will have very little, 'put by' for his loving family to inherit.