Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Things which annoy or puzzle you on telly or in films

(146 Posts)
Daddima Tue 01-Aug-17 15:38:49

I find it strange how people can always phone others ( even their enemies) with about two pushes of the buttons.

They say, " I'll meet you tonight". There is no mention of where or when, but, as if by magic, both people turn up.

They can also decide to leave ( usually in Eastenders), and are in the black taxi the next day ( or even the same day!)

I know, I need to get out more!

meadowgran Tue 01-Aug-17 22:21:57

In dramas they very often dash out of a scene without picking up their bag or briefcase and are then shown with it in a later scene! Also why is it that in the more gritty UK cop dramas whenever the police go to talk to someone, usually in a remote farm or a garage, that person either carries on with what they are doing or walks away from the policeman or policewoman. In real life you would surely stop what you are doing to talk to a copper. Or am I just too law abiding. Oh and don't get me started on coppers rushing off on their own without informing colleagues etc. Then there is the not very convincing drinking tea and coffee from what are actually empty cups.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Aug-17 22:45:30

Where do all the jobs come from as soon as someone moves in a place they get a job Corrie is terrible for that Underworld must be a tardus no one ever leaves but every new cast member gets a job at underworld as soon as they arrive
Liz walks straight into a reception job as soon as she leaves the pub SarahLouise came home from Spain and walked straight into a barmaids job Daniel becomes a waiter overnight NO ONE is ever unemployed and on the dole

sunseeker Wed 02-Aug-17 07:24:44

In all police dramas/films whilst the police are still some distance from a suspect they call out to them making him/her aware of their presence and he/she can then run away.

J52 Wed 02-Aug-17 07:55:21

Anything filmed in London, muddles up all the locations and characters move from East/ West / North /South and central, all in a matter of minutes.
Journeys that would take mere mortals, most of the day. Even using the underground.

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 08:01:35

Not quite to the point, but have noticed that there seem to be a lot of dramas with the word ' dark' or 'lake' in them and everybody seems emotionally overwrought ...

Shortlegs Wed 02-Aug-17 09:34:32

When arson is committed on a soap the arsonist always has a fully fuelled Zippo lighter in their pocket, this is regardless of whether they are a smoker or not.

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:36:41

Enjoyed The Handmaids Tale, marred by the fact most of it was filmed in the dark!! Why? Lots of programmes filmed this way, so often don't bother with watching them, will have to up my carrot intake! Also actors now tend to babble their words, so have to replay to work out what they've said... Complex stories with let done endings... Rant over for now!!!

Jaycee5 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:44:17

Daddima I agree about the meeting thing. That always annoys me. How much longer would it take to say '9.30 at the corner' or something.
People decide to buy a house and move in the next week or can't pay the rent one week and are on the street the next.
There's also the way they speak to people on the phone. Ian rings his solicitor and says something like 'get it done now' before slamming down the phone and the solicitor turns up at his house or the pub in 20 minutes. Try that in real life and you'll get a bill and a letter asking where you want your files sent.

Lilyflower Wed 02-Aug-17 09:45:44

Characeters in dramas are unbelievably rude ad say what no one in real life wouold say without causing unimaginable offence and lifetime feuds.

Kim19 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:45:45

Daddina, your last comment says it all. We DO need to get out more. Last night I persevered with the final part of a drama called 'In the dark' on BBC1. What an appropriate title because that's where I ended up - or pretty much was from start to finish. The female lead was so heavily pregnant that I'm amazed she could get out of a chair far less mingle with the criminal and frightening element of society. The plot was so far fetched I found myself wondering 'is it me?' And yet (yes you're all correct!) I continued to watch. Decision...... I will go out today and the sooner the better!!

Jaycee5 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:48:43

sunseeker. That's another one that annoys me. Too far to grab them but close enough to catch them after a short chase. It's such a cliché.
Also - women screaming when they find a dead body. It's not going to wake up and you wouldn't want to let the murderer know you were there if he might still be around. I can see someone making a loud gasp or saying 'oh God' or something but I don't think most people would start screaming.

devongirl Wed 02-Aug-17 09:50:59

Jane10 I was just thinking that the other night, Bex in Eastenders always grabs a cushion, sits on the sofa and holds it on her lap, I was thinking, has she got no skirt on?? hiding something??

devongirl Wed 02-Aug-17 09:52:24

How come everyone seems to know how to sew a pair of knickers/pull a pint??

Jaycee5 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:54:50

Kim19 You did better than me. I watched the first episode but only managed a few minutes into the second but found I was drifting away from it and gave up. It was very far fetched.

J52 The opening sequence of Only Fools and Horses included film of a take away sandwich bar that was on the corner of Kingsway and High Holborn. It just seemed completely random.

Peardrop50 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:55:26

Why do we have to see vomit in glorious technicolour? Surely we are not so stupid that we can't imagine what happens next when someone puts a hand over mouth and dashes off.

Nanny27 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:00:03

It's always so obvious that the coffee cup they are drinking from is empty. Why can't they put a dark coloured cold drink in there to make drinking look more realistic?

strawberrinan Wed 02-Aug-17 10:02:37

If you forget the fires, murders and tram crashes, Coronation Street is a great place to live! Social Services on tap to come to your door at a second's notice, only people who live on street frequent the ever-empty medical centre so same day appointments can be made even in the afternoon and if you're in a low-paid job you always have a few thousand pounds saved to lend or invest.

annemarg Wed 02-Aug-17 10:03:29

Often in tv plays you hear the character say (as they go to leave) "I'll see myself out"! Nobody that I know ever says this as they leave !!!

pollyperkins Wed 02-Aug-17 10:05:16

And it annoys me when they drive off at speed without doing up their seat belt and also get out of the car without removing the key orlocking the door. DH gets crosswith m for shouting 'Do uo your belt' 'hechasnt locked the door' etc.

Nanny27 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:15:36

It's the amount of money they all have that amazes me. A few hours work in a factory, cafe or bar and hey presto, meals out, breakfast in the cafe, rent. Its all affordable....apparently.

Aepgirl Wed 02-Aug-17 10:19:11

Why do so few characters wear glasses? Surely the residents of Eastenders and Coronation Street can't afford laser eye surgery or contact lenses.

Megs36 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:24:41

Have to agree with all these comments, how about all the airline tickets that are booked (especially Eastenders) and not used, where do they get the money when most of them are skint! Also, Holby and Casualty, staff leave overnight - no three months notice - and new ones start the next day; I could go on forever and I spend a lot of time shouting at the screen - but still keep watching!!!!

sue421 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:31:12

I gave up the soaps as they were just sleeping with each other and still live in the same village as their previous partners. Also they all go to the pub but who is looking after the kids? Watched one episode of Emmerdale the other night and they have swapped partners again!

allule Wed 02-Aug-17 10:31:43

Although our hearing is normally ok, we do struggle to follow some American accents, and less clear voices, and quite often turn on subtitles. We can ignore them most of the time, but they are there if we find something unclear.

BPJ Wed 02-Aug-17 10:49:27

Gestures made by reporters, takes my concentration away from what is being said