Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Things which annoy or puzzle you on telly or in films

(146 Posts)
Daddima Tue 01-Aug-17 15:38:49

I find it strange how people can always phone others ( even their enemies) with about two pushes of the buttons.

They say, " I'll meet you tonight". There is no mention of where or when, but, as if by magic, both people turn up.

They can also decide to leave ( usually in Eastenders), and are in the black taxi the next day ( or even the same day!)

I know, I need to get out more!

Grannyknot Tue 08-Aug-17 18:58:17

"In a corridor"...

Daddima Wed 09-Aug-17 07:45:20

Watching the Royle Family, why don't Dave & Denise have a key for Jim & Barbara's house?

varian Wed 09-Aug-17 08:41:11

I've been watching Coronation Street on and off for years and I can't remember when, if ever, there was a family consisting of parents who were faithfull to each other living with their own natural children.

pensionpat Wed 09-Aug-17 08:49:31

Varian. Or who needed a job or a home for very long. Jobs are found in the street. Houses contain many people. And Ken Barlow can teach someone to read in record time. And I was really annoyed by the way that Leanne portrayed being pregnant. From fairly early in pregnancy she couldn't walk properly. She waddled! I still watch it though

pensionpat Wed 09-Aug-17 09:01:39

And why when a newsreader talks about a court case do we have to have an artists impression of what it might look like. I don't need a picture. Just tell me.

And just how realistic is it that a forensic scientist gets involved with the case to the point of being in danger themselves and then solving the case.

illtellhim Wed 09-Aug-17 09:56:55

Well I like to be entertained, so I don't want the mundane stuff like not having anywhere to park the car (Boring).

I like sex and violence and a good laugh which brings me on to the InBetweeners , now I'm 66 and the things that go on in that series makes me wonder what the lads at school and later in work were talking about.

Eloethan Wed 09-Aug-17 15:54:46

The hairdresser scenes in Coronation Street always make me laugh. Not one of the supposed hairdressers look as if they have any clue whatsoever about hairdressing.

Although I have watched and enjoyed Coronation Street for many years, I am reluctantly finding myself in agreement with some recent posters who said it is becoming more and more ridiculous. The characters of Brian and Kathy I find extremely annoying and unconvincing - and some of the plots relating to them quite absurd. Ditto Rosie and her sister doing a window cleaning round and Norris and Mary planning a fake wedding in order to enter a competition. I am starting to lose patience.

As someone else said up-thread, why can't soaps be more reflective of real life? The boring bits can still be cut out, but have people watch telly, go on holiday, get jobs outside the neighbourhood and commute, have (believable) disputes with neighbours, argue about politics and religion, etc. etc. Or perhaps that would be too controversial and it would be hard to achieve balance?

nancan Wed 09-Aug-17 17:41:05

No 2 characters have the same name eh? What about Corrie? There was Bet, Betty and Liz wasn't there in the Rovers? Then there's words we (well here in the North) like bathing pronounced bathe- ing and once even heard someone on Corrie ask for a Savaloy for goodness sake, we don't have them up here!

nancan Wed 09-Aug-17 17:52:00

Why can no-one be 53 years old instead of 53 years of age any more? Why, when someone goes to the hospital and they are about to get bad news does the consultant come out and tell relatives in the corridor or at the coffee machine instead of a consulting room? Why does no-one ever have hiccups, urine infections, or high blood pressure? How do they get instant passports and never have to wait long in a queue?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 09-Aug-17 19:22:01

Haven't listened to The Archers for years, so it may not be the same, but they always started thinking about the Christmas pantomime in November, including writing it, as I remember. I found that unbelievable as well as annoying as our local am-dram play staggered on rehearsing from a ready-written script from August to March!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 09-Aug-17 19:23:56

Also I agree with those who mentioned news reporters who have to be sent to wherever they are reporting about, even if they aren't interviewing anyone. We know what Number 10 looks like, so couldn't they just report from the studio? I'm sure it would be cheaper.

varian Wed 09-Aug-17 20:56:52

My hearing is not that bad but I can't stand having muzak playing at the same time someone is speaking on tv or radio.

What it is like for anyone with hearing problems I can't imagine.

Why do they do it? I can't imagine anyone complaining if there was no muzak.

suzied Wed 09-Aug-17 21:08:21

Could Todd and Adam run a solicitors? ( are they qualified?) would they employ a window cleaner as a p.a.?

Wheniwasyourage Tue 22-Aug-17 18:33:40

Just thought of another two!

1. Historians who use the present tense. It doesn't make what you are saying more immediate. We know it was in the past, the clue being that you are a (or should that be 'an'?) historian.

2. Presenters who pretend they are just meeting the person they are talking to for the first time. No you're not. Do you think we don't realise that you had to meet before to set the whole thing up? (I remember my father complaining about Gerald Durrell doing that in black and white,so I don't suppose it's going to change now.) grin

callgirl1 Tue 22-Aug-17 22:16:13

I was reminded today about the Quick Quid advert where the lad tells his mother there`s no hot water again. She tells him he`ll have to smell for today, but she`ll get someone out to it. Haven`t they heard of boiling a kettle for some hot water, doesn`t he know how to have a strip wash?

MissAdventure Wed 23-Aug-17 15:47:27

People in soap operas never spend an evening in front of the telly watching soap operas.
Nobody ever gets their sleeve caught up on a door handle
People move in and out of each others' houses without ever having to inform the council, or fill in any forms.
They never come out of the loo and say "well, I wouldn't go in there for 5 minutes".

goose1964 Wed 23-Aug-17 15:51:04

Why do waters always go first followed by intense pain whenever anyone has a baby

Christinefrance Wed 23-Aug-17 17:36:25

And who looks after all the babies and young children whilst their parents are in the pub/cafe or having sex.

Jane10 Wed 23-Aug-17 17:41:57

The houses in Walford must be massive. Lots of people seem to be acommodated in each house in Albert Square. The same in Corrie. No queuing for the bathroom ever either!

pollyperkins Wed 23-Aug-17 17:59:50

When people are interviewed in detective dramas people always use the correct rank eg 'Come in Chief inspector', or 'Ive no idea, constable', etc. How do they know? I wouldn't !
Talking of repeating what you've already seen, I find it infuriating that in every documentary series you get almost exactly the same lengthy introduction showing you everything you have seen and then all the best bits that you are about to see with the presenter saying:'I'll be talking to so and so about whatever' and 'I'll find out that....' etc. After this lengthy introduction we see it all again in the actual programme. Sometimes it's repeated again after adverts. It infuriates me!!!