Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Child Genius

(35 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 09:54:40

I haven't watched it all but the bits I have seen have made me feel VERY uncomfortable The parents all seem to be living through their clever kids The pressure seems absolutely unacceptable for young people
Maybe it's just me but I don't like it at all

merlotgran Sat 19-Aug-17 09:59:38

Would Richard Osman have put his own children through such torment I wonder?

I've just seen a clip for tonight's final. I won't be watching.

ninathenana Sat 19-Aug-17 10:06:13

I don't see the entertainment value in watching children embarassed and upset.
Not that they should feel embarassed for not knowing an answer.

rascal Sat 19-Aug-17 10:08:26

Yes it's just horrendous putting these poor children through so much stress. Seems to be only for their parents ego. Just awful! shock

goldengirl Sat 19-Aug-17 10:41:25

There's enough pressure on children today without adding to it unnecessarily. I've read about it but haven't - and won't - watched it. [bad grammar there so I wouldn't even qualify!]

mumofmadboys Sat 19-Aug-17 10:54:30

I have watched each episode and will watch the final tonight. I think it is very interesting. I agree the children are put under incredible pressure and the parents mainly as so intense to to be verging on abusive. The children are remarkably clever. The spelling round is incredible. A lot of the words I haven't heard of. Their mental arithmetic is amazing and their ability to memorize packs of cards. It must be difficult having kids who are so very bright and helping them channel their abilities in a helpful way. You worry about how they would fit in socially although some of the kids are charming as well!

Luckygirl Sat 19-Aug-17 11:02:01

I don't watch it, but have unfortunately caught the occasional trailer.

I have a GS who would do well on it, but his parents, quite rightly, would not dream of doing it. I think it is abusive.

Eloethan Sat 19-Aug-17 14:54:05

I have made a point of not watching it. I think there is already far too much competition between people in this world and pressure put on children.

nigglynellie Sat 19-Aug-17 18:17:48

I've not watched it, but it sounds quite awful bordering on child abuse.

Ana Sat 19-Aug-17 18:21:04

I watched a couple of episodes of one of the previous series and was horrified by some of the parents' attitudes. There were a couple of children who actually wanted to take part, but most appeared to be under considerable stress.

I haven't watched since.

glammanana Sat 19-Aug-17 19:08:34

I have watched some of the series this time,I have always shyed away from it in previous years as I don't like this kind of pressure on youngsters they have enough to contend with.
There is one parent inparticular who looks as if he will need a difibulator (SP) if his child doesn't win tonight,I will have to watch it now just to see the outcome.

mumofmadboys Sat 19-Aug-17 19:21:11

I agree if Rahul doesn't win his dad will be devastated! Having said that Rahul is quite a character and seems to be enjoying the process!

lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 19:30:52

Have watched it in the recent past, and feel the same as Ana the parents deserve six of the best!

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 19:46:46

I see an old man in a child's body in Rahul
I saw a trailer and a little girl asked if she could please leave as she couldn't answer the questions she was sobbing and so embarrassed I do think it's abusive I m glad I m not the only one that thinks like that

Deedaa Sat 19-Aug-17 20:44:32

GS1 has been watching it and apparently isn't impressed by most of the parents. He thinks the competition puts too much importance on memory and thinks problem solving ability is more important. Of course he has got an exceptionally good memory himself and may think it's something we can all do quite easily.

I don't think it's any more abusive than any other contest involving children. DD put up with a lot of criticism, which many might have considered abuse, from the age of eight when she was a gymnast. And of course devastating disappointments when things went wrong, but she would have been appalled if we'd suggested giving up.

Obviously some of the parents are complete basket cases, the American and Asian ones always seem to be the worst. The Brits seem to be a bit more laid back. I'm not convinced that pushing their child's intelligence is necessarily going to make them more successful in life. I've known some very clever people who have really been very functional as adults.

wot Sat 19-Aug-17 20:58:52

Rahuls father is unbearably smug.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 21:01:37

Can't bear him he brings out the worst in me Just switched on out of curiosity and saw his look every time the other little boy scored a point uggg

mumofmadboys Sat 19-Aug-17 21:05:03

I am not surprised Rahul won. His dad's behaviour is awful. He even took the trophy off his son and hekd it up as if he had won it.

glammanana Sun 20-Aug-17 10:36:10

How I'd hate to work in his fathers (Rahuls) office next week and be one of his collegues smugg does not discribe the man.Well done to the little girl who stated that she was the "only girl" child genius who got into the final such a well grounded child.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Aug-17 11:01:10

Poor little Rahul, he is his fathers robotic clone and will grow into his double more s the pity, diabolical pushy man

Deedaa Sun 20-Aug-17 20:30:17

I liked the one who entered himself. I would love to have seen his answer to the question about "What's it like living with a gifted child"

Imperfect27 Mon 21-Aug-17 16:37:22

My first quiet day after a two week holiday filled with time away and then lots of family visits ... Today I have had an absolute doss day (LOVELY!!!) and caught up with this programme and then also watched a couple of episodes of series 2 (series 1 doesn't seem available) on 4OD.

To me this really is a fascinating study in parenting and how people view 'success'. Interestingly, in the earlier series, families are followed up and there seemed a bit more concern (for the camera?) about children's well-being.

As for Rahul and family ... sigh ... I thought it very sad that he did not seek to interact and make friendships with the other children, regarding them as 'opposition'. I couldn't decide if it would be a blessing if he lost the final - a chance for him to grow more as a 'whole' person through dealing with defeat, or if his father would have made him feel an abject failure...

devongirl Mon 21-Aug-17 16:40:26

I agree with a lot of this but TBH previous series have had much more obnoxious parent, and children too! Personally I'm not keen on the girl who reached the final because she was horrible to the 2 Asian sisters when they were having problems - smacked of racism to me...

grannyticktock Tue 22-Aug-17 11:24:45

I so wanted nice Joshua to win - he seemed such a pleasant lad, and was dressed like a normal boy. Poor little Rahul is being turned into a performing seal, a little automated mannikin devoid of normal social skills or reactions. I know which one I think will end up a happy, well adjusted, successful adult!

Lindylo Tue 22-Aug-17 12:02:10

Here Here. I think Rahul will end up as a very lonely adult and perhaps not a very nice one.