Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Diana, 7 days and the walk behind the coffin

(166 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 13:49:59

There is a lot about Princess Diana and the 20th anniversary in the press atm. I think it is good that her sons have been able to talk so openly - hopefully it will help them in their grieving, but I think there is a sense of being swamped by media coverage of it all now.

Came across this 'news' article today and Prince Harry's change of stance over the collective decision for him to walk behind the coffin at his mother's funeral. I do wonder if he has been advised to 'say differently':

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41017659

For the record, I find myself wanting to say to "Harry, you were right the first time - it should not have been expected of you." And I remember watching the funeral on TV (I was of an age with Princess Diana) and thinking how awful for those boys to make that walk. I wouldn't have expected it of them. It did not 'comfort' me in any way that they were there - I find that a very strange thought - I remember I just felt immense sorrow for them. They were children and it was not necessary to put them under so much media attention. I think Diana herself would have hated the idea of it!

Anniebach Wed 23-Aug-17 14:04:11

The thought of Diana hating media attention ? She loved media attention . And sorry I can't see why them being there should or shouldn't have given you comfort Imperfect , did you need comforting ? This has always puzzled me . The press and the crowds telling the queen they wanted her in London, ridiculous , I felt so sorry for queenie and she had to sit in the abby and listen to Charles Spencer , that woman had dignity

MissAdventure Wed 23-Aug-17 14:14:45

I loved Charles Spencer's speech. It was perfectly put, I think.

wildswan16 Wed 23-Aug-17 14:16:16

I can't imagine any mother wanting her children to be in such prominent view at her funeral. I'm sure it must have complicated the grief process for them.

I also think the family were quite correct to remain where they were and for the Queen to quietly spend time with her son and grandsons. Whatever the marital situation - a mother, a wife, a daughter, and a sister had been tragically lost.

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 14:26:55

No matter how hard I try I just can't feel sorry for "queenie" Anniebach and I think that whoever (Tony Blair??) persuaded her to go to London did the royals a service.

I do think it was a bit much to expect 2 young boys to follow their mothers coffin through the streets lined with people.

merlotgran Wed 23-Aug-17 14:36:13

I hope that after the 31st August we can finally move on from Princess Diana's death.

We've had a month of it.

Enough!

Anniebach Wed 23-Aug-17 14:37:34

Gilly, why did queenie being in London make any difference ? This I just don't understand

Alima Wed 23-Aug-17 14:40:19

Agree completely with Merlot. Just wish Diana was left to rest in peace.

nigglynellie Wed 23-Aug-17 14:41:25

I can't believe that this is all being dragged up again! FGS it was 20 years ago. Yes it was a tragedy, no she wasn't a saint and certainly wasn't adverse to playing the media! yes Earl Spencer behaved very badly by embarrassing the royal family, particularly bearing in mind his own shameful treatment of his first wife! Yes that marriage was ill fated with fault on all sides, and frankly I can't understand Princes William and Harry wanting to 're run this whole sorry saga in public particularly as it will, and has caused the P of W to yet again be public enemy no 1. They must have been aware of this and should be ashamed of themselves and I certainly won't be watching or even listening to these self indulgent young men who frankly need to learn some decorum.

Anniebach Wed 23-Aug-17 14:43:16

Not when there is money and publicity to gain Alima

merlotgran Wed 23-Aug-17 14:43:46

Well said, niggly

Anniebach Wed 23-Aug-17 14:44:04

Well said niggly

Alima Wed 23-Aug-17 14:48:01

Oh I know Annie. Enough now please!

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 15:20:36

Well no matter what you or I (or anyone else) might think Annie Diana was hugely popular. She did some amazing charity work and was clearly loved/adored by millions. By staying away the queen seemed to show disregard for both Diana's tragic, untimely death and the public outcry of grief. Whoever advised her to return to buck house did her a huge favour.

willsmadnan Wed 23-Aug-17 15:29:46

Spot on niggly. WHEN are we going to get a 'like' clicker, GNHQ(for the zillionth time) hmm

nigglynellie Wed 23-Aug-17 15:55:56

Oh yes Diana was hugely popular, she was very beautiful, photogenic, very tragic, subsequently very manipulative. The P of W on the other hand was/is(?!) dull, boring, not photogenic! (some of us aren't!) and generally not media attractive! However, he too has, and does, do fantastic work for charity and is, I believe a good man, troubled and anxious no doubt, and certainly not without fault, but, he really doesn't deserve yet more bad press, nor yet does his wife. Enough is enough.
The Queen, let's face it, couldn't do right for doing wrong! Her young grandsons had lost their mother and quite frankly their welfare was her prime concern, and the general public should have been able to recognise, understand and been prepared just for once not to expect to take centre stage in her life.
Yes it was badly handled, but the public behaved badly too castigating this poor woman for doing what any caring grandmother would do, i.e. protect her grandsons as best she could from this, for them, terrible tragedy. Apparently she was very hurt at the selfish reaction of Joe soap public. I too felt sorry for her.

Anniebach Wed 23-Aug-17 16:06:25

But Gilly, what difference would it have made to you if she had raced back to London and been tucked away in Buck .House. What many seem to forget is the feelings of queening, she knew Diana from birth, regardless of the troubles in latter years queenie must have been saddened . She put her family before the demands of being queen,

Smithy Wed 23-Aug-17 16:07:49

Agree Merlot and Alima, after the anniversary we should draw a line under and leave the sons to remember their mother in private and in peace. Nobody really knows what happened except those involved anyway.

paddyann Wed 23-Aug-17 16:07:52

honestly I'm sick to death hearing about Diana,she'sall over the news and FB and her sons are using her in the same way she herself used the media ..its shocking.She died because she didn't wear a seatbelt ..end of story..sall this rubbish blaming evryone else BUT her has to stop.In fact stop reporting it all as if its news..she died 20 years ago..even if her sons are still grieving and I'm sure they are,then please let them do it in private and not whip up thois mass mourning nonsense again.People lose parents ..its hardly unusual whatever you thought of her ,they need to come to terms with it like the rest of us do when we lose a mother or father and stop blaming the press/paparrazi ...remember SHE encouraged the photographers when it suited her.Just like her sons do

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 16:13:51

It would have made no difference to me (personally) whatever she did Annie as I make no apologies for my dislike of the whole royal family and everything they stand for.

Nanny27 Wed 23-Aug-17 16:23:41

I'm so disappointed in Princes William and Harry. I thought they were better than this. Can't they see that it was Diana's obsession with the media that led to her tragic death. They now seem to be following in her footsteps.

nigglynellie Wed 23-Aug-17 16:43:04

I can't quite understand how anyone can dislike a whole family that they have never met, and on a personal level know absolutely nothing about. I can understand disapproving of royalty as an institution, but to dislike people because of who they are seems a bit sweeping and smacks of prejudice!

MissAdventure Wed 23-Aug-17 16:49:06

Nobody here actually knew Diana. Is that not the same thing?

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 16:55:36

Okay niggly I will correct my statement to:

I make no apologies for my dislike of everything I know about the royal family, together with everything they stand for

We can only know what we hear/read/see via the media.

nigglynellie Wed 23-Aug-17 16:57:02

Diana was indiscreet, she played the media and public opinion, she made sure we all knew her!!