Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cuckoo's calling!

(66 Posts)
HildaW Mon 28-Aug-17 15:29:06

Anyone else developing a soft spot for Cormoran Strike?

Greyduster Mon 28-Aug-17 15:37:40

I was until he pee'd into that cup and then emptied it out of the window! [ grin]

Niobe Mon 28-Aug-17 15:45:23

Love the books and am really liking the series so far. Fortunately the casting of the two leads is exactly as I pictured Cormoran and Robin. I wonder when the next book is coming out!

HildaW Mon 28-Aug-17 16:26:08

Ho ho Greyduster.....I think it was at that point I realised my 'soft spot' was more of the maternal variety that you know what!

BlueBelle Mon 28-Aug-17 16:31:25

I found him strangely endearing I didn't mind too much about the pee I though it was funny

Charleygirl Mon 28-Aug-17 16:59:28

I enjoyed last night's episode. My brain being the state that it is in has forgotten the book contents. I am pleased that Cormoran did not allow Robin to remove his cup of "tea" but I also thought it funny that he disposed of it out of the window.

kittylester Mon 28-Aug-17 17:03:11

I loved it despite not expecting to. I loved Cormoran in The Musketeers - he's git a lovely smile.

tanith Mon 28-Aug-17 17:14:23

I liked it too thought the shot with his prosthetic leg off was very well done. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Waveney Mon 28-Aug-17 19:55:19

I really enjoyed it too - and have liked Tom Burke since watching him as Athos. They seem to be keeping very close to the feeling of the book, which is great!

Morgana Mon 28-Aug-17 23:39:30

Enjoying it too. Got a bit muddled with the characters though!

Eloethan Mon 28-Aug-17 23:51:06

I kept falling asleep tonight and completely lost track of what was going on.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Aug-17 08:12:58

I was not impressed by his acting - it seemed a bit wooden. And I think JK gets the prize for the silliest character name!

The jury is out for me - not sure whether I like it or not.

Niobe Tue 29-Aug-17 09:13:39

I have enjoyed this very much and have started to re-read the book. I will miss the last episode but will catch up when I get back.

pollyperkins Tue 29-Aug-17 09:25:50

Im glad I read the book(s) first or I would have gound it difficult to follow. The Tv version is good but the book is oh so much better! A lot of nuances are necessarily left out in the TV version. I love all 3 Strike books.

cazthebookworm Tue 29-Aug-17 09:37:06

He has solve the murder mystery apparently....I haven't, has anyone on GN ?? confused

Juggernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 10:36:07

kittylester
Our DS is a taller, better looking (well, we think so anyway) slimmer version of Tom Burke! He has a gorgeous smile too!

kittylester Tue 29-Aug-17 10:40:24

Lucky you! blush

goldengirl Tue 29-Aug-17 12:48:30

I'm enjoying it. It's just that little bit different. I don't think I'd like to be a girl alone in that dim and dingy office. I'd not heard of Tom Burke before - I like his quiet persistence. And so he's not really got a prosthetic? It's really well done though after a while I thought I noticed that you see him and then the shot of his leg separately. Can't wait to find out who the person in the CCTV is. I've not read the book -yet!

Treebee Tue 29-Aug-17 19:55:32

Loved the books and am enjoying Strike. But, is it just me, and I hesitate to say it, but is the actor playing Cormoran mumbling a bit?

BlueBelle Tue 29-Aug-17 20:43:54

I d never heard of Tom Burke either golden girl. I m guessing he's had an op for cleft palette when he was young but I find him quite interesting not sure why and quite enjoying the story I ve never read the books I didn't even realise Rowling wrote adult books

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 21:04:26

Watched this for twenty minutes and then turned tv off.
Thought it hackneyed, cliched, and boring.How many times are there dishevelled PI's with a tormented back story who like the booze and are born rebels.Too many.He had a missing leg which made him slightly different, but no charm to speak of.

TerriBull Wed 30-Aug-17 08:40:46

Have read all 3 books and enjoyed them. I thought the two main leads were well cast. I need to rewatch the last one though, 9 pm's my nodding off time.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:27:16

I've seen both episodes and think Tom Burke is fine in the role, but the name is absurd and the downtrodden private dick is becoming a bit of a cliche, reminding me too much of Columbo and (dare I say it) Humphrey B playing Philip Marlowe in "The Big Sleep".

Perhaps I should give up the TV serial and read the book(s).........

Auntieflo Wed 30-Aug-17 22:16:51

I've read only the first book, saving the other two in my stash. Like Treebee I definitely thought there was a bit of Cormoran mumbling going on, and I'm hoping he will get less wooden .

maryeliza54 Wed 30-Aug-17 22:18:43

Columbo wasn't a private detective but a police officer