Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Victoria and Abdul

(19 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-17 05:38:29

Anyone seen this Judy Dench film yet I watched it yesterday I wondered what you thought ?

Liz46 Sun 17-Sep-17 07:47:51

I'm planning on going later this week with one of my daughters.

kittylester Sun 17-Sep-17 08:00:02

I'm hoping to see it so would be interested in comments.

Serkeen Sun 17-Sep-17 08:38:36

I really would like to go watch this too, love true stories .

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Sep-17 08:50:51

If my cough improves I'd like to see it but currently think I might spoil the experience for others :-(

Christinefrance Sun 17-Sep-17 08:56:59

I want to see that too, I like most things Judy Dench does. I enjoyed her last portrayal of Victoria.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Sep-17 09:09:31

I have seen the trailers and am sure it will be brilliant; although it does seem to be a bit of a re-run of her previous Queen Vic film (can't remember the name!), even down to her gatecrashing his family for tea.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-17 11:54:57

Ok I ll reserve my comments until you ve all been

Morgana Sun 17-Sep-17 12:02:50

Saw it being reviewed last night. Kermode recommended it! We were going to go yesterday but were too tired after gardening. Have to try next week.

starbird Sun 17-Sep-17 12:57:12

I have mixed feelings about this type of film. These are real historical people and it is surely impossible for anyone to understand everything they thought, felt, said and did, and yet most people watching it will take away what they've seen as though it was some sort of reality program. Historical events are one thing, but I think the private side of a person's life is different, unless it affects others. Is this what will happen to all the royal family after they are dead (or before)? Will my grandchildren watch pseudo real life films about Kate and William, and Harry and Meghan, and so on?

Sparklefizz Sun 17-Sep-17 13:58:20

"Pseudo real life films ...." starbird .... it's already happening with "The Crown".

starbird Sun 17-Sep-17 14:57:12

I know, but I assume (most) people realize that's a comedy ...

Katek Sun 17-Sep-17 18:36:37

Went to see this on Friday......DH appears in it! grin

BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-17 19:42:50

No one ever knows anything about anyone's life except what they imagine or piece together I m sure there ll be bits of my life my kids will wish they asked me about or presume they know and may be wrong Royals are no different The film is based on diaries and letters so I suppose that gives a reasonable idea that it is built on facts but if course with any film there is not only the interpretations of the film maker but of each individual watching it too You can watch a war film which is built on fact but will have fictitious additional situations I don't see why it's any different for the Royals
Not sure what that means Katek a bit cryptic for me

Greenfinch Sun 17-Sep-17 19:58:50

We saw this film yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.It is only loosely based on fact but it is based on fact.It is humorous and quite touching and Judi Dench is magnificent as the somewhat rotund queen in her latter years. We were lucky to have visited Osborne House last week where much of the action was filmed and where the costumes are currently on display.

mcem Sun 17-Sep-17 20:18:45

Entertaining and amusing but very loosely based on fact I think. Sad and thought-provoking at times.
Eddie Izzard as fairly hateful Bertie.
Courtiers all nasty sycophants.
The buildings were the stars!
Judi Dench looked so old !!

willsmadnan Sun 17-Sep-17 20:22:24

starbird,do you really imagine present day audiences are so thick? And as for future generations, why don't you sit down with your grandchildren and give them the real facts? I love talking about 20th century happenings with my GS ..... even my daughter didn't understand the Duke of Windsor abdication until I explained it . Haven't watched The Crown for the simple reason it sounds be a load of fantasy crap.
However, Q. Victoria's fascination with all things Indian ( as Empress of India) is well documented as is her friendship with 'The Munshi' and John Brown.

Liz46 Sun 24-Sep-17 06:25:44

My daughter and I went to see this yesterday. It is a gentle, humorous film and we both enjoyed it.

TerriBull Sun 24-Sep-17 09:36:08

Went to see it a couple of days ago, having read a bit about "The Munshi", enjoyed it very much. We were reminded of our visit a couple of years ago to Osborne House in the Isle of Wight which featured in the film.