Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

how to live longer with Angela Rippon

(22 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 21-Sep-17 08:32:00

Love these sort of programs but how do they pick the pick to try out the experiments?

I find it always interesting to see on a screen the difference exercise, or food changes can make to your body.

It also can be a bit worrying as you get older and maybe loose the motivation to 'get up and go' and maybe indulge in food you really shouldnt eat!!!

wildswan16 Thu 21-Sep-17 09:17:33

I haven't seen this one, but I quite enjoy this type of programme for a bit of "easy watching", but I wish they would always go back six months or a year later and do a follow-up. It is much easier to transform whilst a camera crew is following you around - but do they keep it up afterwards???

lemongrove Thu 21-Sep-17 09:24:59

What if you don't want to live longer with Angela Rippon??Have always found her annoying.

lemongrove Thu 21-Sep-17 09:26:52

Food is part of life though, I wish we could enjoy it here as much as say, the French and Italians do, instead of continually feeling guilty.

S001 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:21:33

It was an interesting program - but I was irritated to see that many of the recommendations on diet we already do - and I am still over weight. Also felt that some attention could have been given to those of us less able to run! (in my case, a serious infection following hip op has left me damaged)

MawBroon Thu 21-Sep-17 11:22:53

Hear hear lemongrove wouldn't want to live with her at all. hmm

M0nica Thu 21-Sep-17 14:55:55

I started to watch this, but got bored and turned off half way through. It seemed to be the same old same old that we see so much of on television these days.

They always choose people who have absolutely terrible life styles and test them and show their horror at their results and then put them on an exercise and diet programme and a few months later, lo and behold pleasure and delight when it works, yawn, yawn.

What I would like them to include are those who faced with the horror of their lifestyle then fall off the exercise and diet programme and look into the hows and whys and also a some very ordinary people ( not food and exercise zealots) whose tests are right for their age/height/shoe size and show how ordinary people manage to eat a healthy diet and get exercise with out making a song and dance about it. And what about those who obey the rules and do not get thinner or fitter - the S001 conundrum?

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Sep-17 22:20:50

I hate running, always have done and always will!!

Newquay Thu 21-Sep-17 23:35:33

How to live longer. . . . .mmm. . . . I would prefer how to live fitter!

Grandma2213 Fri 22-Sep-17 00:50:15

All my life I have had a reasonably healthy diet and exercised. It just takes a week or two eating 'normally' and exercising less, like most of my friends and my weight rockets and I start to suffer aches and pains!

Now I am retired I find that to lose weight and maintain it I have to go to the gym for at least 1 1/2 hours three or four times a week, swim at least twice a week, walk at least 3 miles most days, go to zumba classes weekly and do stretch exercises every night. All this on top of a limited calories and looking after grandchildren for almost half the week!

After an eye operation, the development of cluster migraines and a foot injury I have not been able to do all of this recently and find I am really feeling my 70 years. I am trying to become 'remotivated' after this programme. Wish me luck!!! hmm

Tegan2 Fri 22-Sep-17 00:59:29

I'm the same; if I ate as much as most people do (healthily I might add) I'd weigh 20 stone. Put it down to dieting like mad in my youth and ruining my metabolism. Miss the gym for a while and my thighs (which are huge to start off with even though I'm quite small) will gain inches.

Grandma2213 Fri 22-Sep-17 01:50:32

Tegan2 I am convinced that some of us have evolved to survive in a world where there are limited food resources. You and me both!!

Serkeen Fri 22-Sep-17 02:37:02

The French are allowed to enjoy their food because it is usually healthy however here in the UK it is a very different story we are known for fish and chips and pies and cakes etc

Nelliemoser Fri 22-Sep-17 23:53:12

I saw that program on Wednesday and decided to do a brisk walk to the hairdressers for 9am. However my "brisk walk" was really too much for my back joints and it hurt like hell for the rest of the afternoon .
It would be good if there were similar programs for those with specific mobilty issues. I am going on holiday next Friday and have an opportunity to walk modest distances. I dont know how much I will manage. My back has been getting worse over many years now following a fall downstairs about 38 yrs ago where I landed heavily onto one leg . (I didn't want to drop my one yr old )

Grandma2213 Sat 23-Sep-17 01:01:41

Enjoy your holiday Nelliemoser. Just walk till it hurts and stop. I found swimming on holiday was good though it does have to be very warm!!! My doctor has recently told me 'Keep exercising but use pain killers.' Hmm not so sure. I can see the logic but then the painkillers wear off and I wake up in the morning like a 90 year old!

By the way when I fell downstairs I was trying to save the hoover!

BBbevan Sat 23-Sep-17 07:09:12

I don't want to live with Angela Rippon thank you

goldengirl Sat 23-Sep-17 12:03:53

Likewise Grandma2213!!! I've been paying the price for a few years now!!! I now have a vac upstairs and one downstairs - a steep learning curve!

GillT57 Sat 23-Sep-17 12:54:17

But surely, we shouldnt have to exercise for 2 or 3 hours a day, eat nuts/fruit/no nice stuff? Surely we should have a balance? I too would like to see the participants in six months time, see if they have transformed their lives permanently. We all know that eating take aways every night is not a good idea, sitting on your arse all day is bad for you.....maybe a few suggestions for small changes would be helpful? We don't all have the ability or wish to do park runs. Angela Rippon gets on my nerves with her bright, hectoring tones, and who the hell chooses her wardrobe? That floral polyester tunic? The naff flower thing in the hair? Is this what living longer means, losing your sense of style grin?

Menopaws Sat 23-Sep-17 19:30:03

When is she moving in? No one told me

GrandmaMoira Sat 23-Sep-17 22:18:37

Gill - I do agree that we shouldn't have to do lots of exercise daily and eat very little. I wonder how many of us who are over 60 can maintain our weight or even lose any without doing that? I lost a lot of weight like that but want to slow down now, do a bit less exercise and have a few treats but am gaining weight again, though I don't eat sweets, chips or takeaways.

grannyqueenie Sat 23-Sep-17 22:55:48

I'm all for living, longer and fitter but living with Angel Rippon would put years on me overnight!

BBbevan Sun 24-Sep-17 07:10:35

Exactly granniequeenie