Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Child in Time

(41 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sun 24-Sep-17 22:33:53

Oh dear

Grannyknot Mon 25-Sep-17 12:05:59

kitty we have a 20 minute rule - if after 20 minutes the story line/acting doesn't grab us, we look at each other and say "It's on the list" (meaning the ditch list).

At the moment, the list is l-o-n-g. ... Outlander just went on the list, it became way too samy (sex and lingering looks).

annsixty Mon 25-Sep-17 12:39:31

The DT television critic gave it 5 stars out of 5.
I am just not intellectual enough, but I always knew that.

grannyticktock Mon 25-Sep-17 12:55:40

I had read the book, many years ago, so I knew not to expect a fast-moving plot or a totally happy ending. I enjoyed it and thought the screenplay and acting very good. I must return to the book again, and see what they left out.

Of course there are nitpicky things, like Cumberbatch's mother appearing to be only about ten years older than him, but overall it was pretty well done.

There's a film coming out, I think, of McEwan's "On Chesil Beach". That will have to do a lot to win me round, as I found the book disappointing. The whole story hinges on one blundering attempt by newlyweds at having sex; not only will the details of this be hard to film, but I found the consequences
of the blundering stretched my credulity. I will say no more, for the sake of others who might want yo read it or watch it.

trisher Mon 25-Sep-17 13:36:34

I read it years ago and thought this was an excellent production and very moving. If you don't understand that sometimes characters are there as metaphorical figures I suppose the actions of Charles wouldn't be understandable. The story was about the loss of a specific child but also about the loss of childhood in general and the responsibility of authority in promoting the loss. Yes there were some things that wouldn't happen now- the school being an example. but the emotions portrayed, the loss, the hope and the unexplained coincidences or events that sometimes happen in life were brilliant.
I agree with you about "On Chesil Beach" grannyticktock

Kittye Mon 25-Sep-17 14:40:19

Phew! Glad someone else enjoyed it. I shed a tear at the end, but then I always do when watching "Long lost Family". ?

BlueBelle Mon 25-Sep-17 14:57:23

That's me Kittye cry at everything but that didn't move a muscle for me I was just glad it was over and I could go to bed

Welshwife Mon 25-Sep-17 18:46:57

I agree trisher - I thought it was quite deep with the character of the high flying friend who hung himself - a terrible childhood where he was not allowed to be child - sent him mad really.
I thought it showed the hope that parents never really give up on a child - like many mothers who were forced by one thing or another to give up a baby. I thought the wife had almost become devoid of feeling as her grief was so overwhelming.
The book is on our book club list for December - my copy arrived last week - looking forward to reading it and hopefully seeing the thoughts of the characters.
On Chesil Beach could be a hard one to dramatise.

grannyactivist Mon 25-Sep-17 19:33:43

I watched it today on iPlayer and thought it was wonderfully acted and a very moving story. I did have to concentrate quite hard (not easy at the moment), but found it worth the effort. Written pre-McCann it shows how times have changed; the ease with which access to a classroom and delivery room was gained seems quite shocking now.

NanaandGrampy Mon 25-Sep-17 22:06:37

We recorded it and watched it tonight and we're surprised that actually we quite enjoyed it .

Anniebach Mon 25-Sep-17 22:17:02

I thought it so moving, was Charles searching for his childhood?

maryeliza54 Mon 25-Sep-17 22:41:55

Well it seems the range of opinions on here reflect exactly the feedback out there - seems to be a marmite programme. I understood what it was trying to do trisher but too much got in the way for me. I still think the most florid overwrought aspect was the whole Charles story

Grandma2213 Tue 26-Sep-17 02:34:21

Well I enjoyed watching it too and understood the message to be about lost childhood. When his mother spoke about seeing him through the pub window it gave me quite a start because when my DGS was a baby I had a strange vision of him walking towards me smiling, down my hallway at about age 14. I will never forget it and have never had another such experience. He is now 10 so I have 4 years to go to see if it had any meaning!!

Welshwife Tue 26-Sep-17 07:51:17

That is amazing Grandma I told DH about that incident in the story and we discussed how strange it was.
I could understand how they never stopped looking for the child. The parents of Madeline McCann and Ben Needham must be the same - every face they see.

Greyduster Tue 26-Sep-17 09:00:15

I am another who found "On Chesil Beach" rather stretched my credibility. It will be interesting to see how they dramatise that.

seacliff Tue 26-Sep-17 21:27:49

I really enjoyed it, much more than I'd expected, having read some of the comments here. It was quite compelling. I agree the thing about his friend was s bit weird.

I did have to sit and concentrate, usually I'm doing more than one thing when watching TV. Very pleased I watched, just goes to show we're all different. I often quite enjoy the things the critics pan too.