Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gunpowder

(64 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 21-Oct-17 22:15:42

Dark and mumbly.

Nothing changes.

Deedaa Mon 23-Oct-17 21:35:12

The point was to cut the victim down while he was still alive before they disembowelled him.

Pressing to death was the penalty for refusing to plead.

I didn't have too much problem with the sound, it seemed better than usual to me.

Willow500 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:54:09

I thought it was very good - grisly stuff doesn't bother me but had not heard of being pressed to death before which was a new revelation. The quartering was sometimes done by fastening four horses to the limbs and making them gallop off in different directions - literally ripping them apart. If you've not watched GoT this was very tame in comparison - in particular the Red Wedding scenes!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Oct-17 04:32:35

What’s GoT ?
I don’t like cruelty and gore for the sake of it but if it’s showing something real I think we owe to the victims to watch and learn
I d not heard of the Pressing penalty either Willow

Greyduster Tue 24-Oct-17 06:28:00

Game of Thrones. I have read all the books but refuse to watch the tv series, preferring to leave the violence to the imagination!

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 17:13:09

I went on holiday to York and did the Ghost tour. It was more of a history lesson than frightening and I learnt about Margaret Clitherow, thank goodness things have changed in Britain. I found it hard to tell the difference between the characters and it was mumbly which is a shame as it's important history and an interesting story.

Deedaa Tue 24-Oct-17 20:02:02

I did wonder whether pressing to death was done in public. As the defendant refused to plead there wouldn't be a proper trial and I thought that, like torture, the pressing was done out of sight. But I suppose they wouldn't have passed up an opportunity for a good spectacle.

Tegan2 Wed 25-Oct-17 00:15:04

I'm ok with the torture scenes [the only torture scenes I've ever struggled with are the ones in Outlander; GoT's and Vikings etc are fine by me]. However, I can't stand scenes where someone is hidden and they are being searched for. They totally freak me out shock.

Tegan2 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:28:55

..still watching it [yawn]. Trouble is, with Liv Tyler being in it I keep expecting her to whip up some Elve'ish magic...

callgirl1 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:43:47

We`ve just watched episode 1, and thought that it was excellently done, no problems with sound. It was very gruesome, yes, but that is how things were then, it wouldn`t be true drama if they papered over all the nasty bits. I`m looking forward to episode 2.

Maggiemaybe Sat 28-Oct-17 13:47:19

We’ve just watched it and thought it was very good, and not nearly as mumbly and dark as we were led to believe. The execution scenes were harrowing, but necessary for us to realise how grim the times were.

I must admit to chuckling to myself inappropriately a couple of times, as I’d read that the Radio Times reviewer had misheard the word popery as pot pourri. “This house reeks of pot pourri” brings a whole new slant to the plot.

grumppa Sun 05-Nov-17 18:56:30

Interesting to see the west towers of Westminster Abbey in the background in the final episode, a mere 140 years before Hawksmoor built them.

MawBroon Sun 05-Nov-17 18:59:37

gringrin

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Nov-17 19:16:19

Thanks Grumppa. I’d wondered about that. Really enjoyed the last episode. Although due to DD1s sitting room lighting (we were babysitting) we had to watch it in the dark.