Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Street

(42 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 29-Oct-17 13:23:18

Can someone please tell me what is happening in Coronation Street? I don't watch it but I overheard a conversation today where a lady said she won't watch it anymore and another said that it shouldn't be on before the watershed. They felt that the content was inappropriate for children and 'no wonder they grow up knowing too much too soon'.

My mind has gone into overdrive as to what could be happening. The last time I watched Coronation Street, Gail was married to the man who tried to kill the entire family by driving into the canal so you can see I'm totally out of touch with it grin

Jane10 Mon 30-Oct-17 06:36:05

He's back don't worry. He was the first who had to leave to be investigated for carrying on inappropriately.

tanith Mon 30-Oct-17 15:01:04

The actor playing Todd has now been charged with sexual assault x2 .

humptydumpty Mon 30-Oct-17 15:32:15

Still, doesn't mean he did it, surely he should have been suspended until after trial?

Bridgeit Mon 30-Oct-17 18:44:21

Agree with other posters the Phelan thing has gone into overdrive now, I reackon they are desperate to get Best Soap Award ?

Christinefrance Mon 30-Oct-17 18:56:01

I saw Todd G on the news today too, I suppose even charges bring the show into disrepute but I thought maybe he would have been suspended pending a verdict. I don't know if the soap actors have clauses in their contracts to say they will be sacked for this sort of publicity.
Perhaps he will run off with the dreadful Phelan.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:54:48

I have watched this since 1960. I am addicted so there is little help for me. I dropped East Enders years ago and haven’t bothered with later soaps. However, my addiction doesn’t stop me ridiculing the plots and finding some of the characters really annoying. Last night Michelle laying on the hospital bed with Robert after he had come back from surgery had me shaking my head with disbelief. Also her eye rolling drives me mad.

Jane10 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:20:14

I agree. Her overacting is ridiculous!

gillybob Fri 01-Dec-17 09:41:15

The Mary story line is getting on my nerves at the minute. First she's a funny and harmless and now she's granny from hell ! I suspect baby George is alergic to pollen but why not jump in with the police and social services first eh? Grrrrr

BlueBelle Fri 01-Dec-17 10:34:55

I haven’t seen it much lately but popped in the other day and found it had all gone into overdrive with Anna accused of trying to kill Seb Gary fathering a new child and Pat Mary Dev Sally and sister all gone totally mad and when did Robert go white with a very tan skin what happened there one minute he had dark hair the next he was looking like Philips Schofield brother I m totally lost now think I ll have to jack it in

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Dec-17 10:43:40

I don't think I could ever forsake Corrie, we go back a long, long way, but some of the recent stories have been way over the top. I have a lot of trouble remembering who fathered whom and what all their relationships are to each other. I still find a lot in it to make me laugh out loud though, and there are some characters I root for. I must say it's about time the local police station and hospital relocated to the street, to save a lot of travelling time. Every time there's a knock on a door it's a fifty-fifty bet that there'll be a (spectacularly inefficient) pair of police officers on the end of it.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Dec-17 10:47:10

Oh, yes, gillybob, the Social Services hub would do well to move there as well. I think you're right about baby George's allergy.

suzied Fri 01-Dec-17 10:47:59

I too couldn’t understand how Robert had been in prison then came back all tanned and fit with completely different hair colour.

Bellasnana Fri 01-Dec-17 10:57:52

I'm a lifelong watcher too, but am absolutely sick of it recently. I have been watching the Classic Coronation Street episodes from about 1986, and am thoroughly enjoying them.

henetha Fri 01-Dec-17 11:03:14

Must admit I have been surprised by some of the things Pat Phelan gets up to, especially that shooting. It won't stop me watching it though. I love it, warts and all.

humptydumpty Fri 01-Dec-17 11:07:13

Harking back to earlier discussion that young people prefer to watch Hollyoaks, my daughter and I watched a really good plotline a while back where a serial killer ended up killing his own daughter by mistake! Less gory / unsuitable for children thatn Corrie/EE??

Willow500 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:14:50

I miss Brookside - bodies under the patio, infidelity with neighbours, gay friends and murder attempts - totally believable storylines just like Corrie - not grin I do love Corrie but the writers sometimes seem to have lost the ability to extricate some characters from their ludicrous situations - same with Emmerdale. Still we'd be lost without them smile