Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Howard's End

(130 Posts)
Deedaa Mon 13-Nov-17 21:05:51

Any one watching? I nearly didn't bother but I really enjoyed the first part. It's years since I last read the book so don't remember much of the story.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 21:28:56

Same here, Deedaa. I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it, but now the story is starting to come back, it's getting more interesting.

SueDonim Mon 13-Nov-17 21:45:25

I enjoyed it! I haven't read the book and have totally forgotten the film so it feels new to me. I do have House envy, though. envy

Greyduster Mon 13-Nov-17 21:47:00

Enjoyed the first episode (not sure DH did) so will continue to watch.

TerriBull Mon 13-Nov-17 21:53:40

I really enjoyed it, thought it was beautifully shot, I remember seeing the film a while back. Yes I've got house envy too SueDonim not only for "Howard's End" but the Schlegel's London home that's double envy envy

Jomarie Mon 13-Nov-17 22:36:02

Me too

hildajenniJ Mon 13-Nov-17 22:38:29

I wasn't going to watch it. I haven't read the book or seen the film, but I surprised myself. I really enjoyed the first episode. I don't think DH would enjoy it though, so it's just as well he's often out at work on a Sunday evening.

Tegan2 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:52:25

I was only half watching it and got very confused with all the darting backwards and forwards in time. So I was going to give up on it until I realised that the wonderful Matthew Macfadyen appeared [still miss Ripper Street] so I'm going to have to rewatch it.Tracy Ullman was good, too [although I kept expecting her to switch to doing an impersonation of Ms Merkel at any moment].

merlotgran Mon 13-Nov-17 22:56:29

Tracy Ullman is so brilliant DH thought she was Judi Dench which made me laugh, 'She IS Judi Dench!'

I wish they hadn't given so many spoilers for next week. I haven't read the book but I remember DD2 reading it at 6th form.

annodomini Mon 13-Nov-17 22:59:55

I found the characters well portrayed and true to Forster's intentions. It's a long time since I read the book - 50-odd years? But the plot kept coming back to me... and the urge to slap Helen!

SueDonim Mon 13-Nov-17 23:26:27

Oh yes, Terribull, I'm not choosy, either of those houses or the London flat would suit me just fine! grin

I loved the boy with Man Flu. V funny.

AsarahG Mon 13-Nov-17 23:37:00

I read this for 'o' level in the late 60's. We analysed it quite closely. It is as relevant today as it ever was. The three different types of people are still around today! Seems like yesterday.

AsarahG Mon 13-Nov-17 23:43:02

The Howard's End theme of 'Only Connect' is worth looking up on the internet if anyone is interested.

Grandma2213 Mon 13-Nov-17 23:55:24

I read it at school more than once and analysed it too. How strange that so many of us do not remember the story. It felt totally new to me. Maybe some memories will resurface later. I'm sure I still have a copy of the book somewhere so must read it again!

silverlining48 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:26:19

Am i the only one who had to put the subtitles on?
Apart from that i look forward to next week.

Tegan2 Tue 14-Nov-17 09:06:55

I have subtitles on for everything these days sad....

cornergran Tue 14-Nov-17 09:16:39

Mr C thought it would be Howard’s Way reincarnated - if you remember that. Think he was disappointed but I enjoyed it and I think he did, once he accepted the difference grin.

ninathenana Tue 14-Nov-17 10:04:31

I loved it.
Not read the book or seen the film, so all new to me.
When I met H his family lived in a small square of houses the same as the Schlegal's London house. Their's was in Islington, all very grand and the road at the back of their house still had the old gas street lights and was often used for film and TV locations.

Oh, did I say, they only rented the second floor flat grin

pollyperkins Tue 14-Nov-17 14:08:09

I enjoyed it too. I remember not especially enjoying th book or the film but this version has really got me hooked. Beautifully filmed and cast too.

Fennel Tue 14-Nov-17 14:36:29

Howard's End was one of our set books for A level, and I remember enjoying it. It was the social class aspect that intrigued me most, because at the time I was becoming aware of the implcations.
Our year at GS was such a mixture, though I don't think we had any really wealthy people.
Hoping to watch it, not sure if it will be husband's cup of tea though.

Lona Tue 14-Nov-17 14:48:00

I loved it! I've seen the film a couple of times but not read the book, so i didn't bother on Sunday night. Watched it yesterday on catch up and I think, so far, that this is better than the original film.

SueDonim Tue 14-Nov-17 17:42:15

I've been intrigued about the use, or otherwise, of an apostrophe in the title. It seems that there is no apostrophe in the original book, looking on Amazon.

I wonder why that is? Maybe EM Forster simply never got grips with apostrophes! grin

Deedaa Tue 14-Nov-17 21:53:03

Strange how books affect you differently at different ages. I read this about 50 years ago and wasn't very impressed, but I tried again a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I hated The Great Gatsby as a teenager, but I saw the Leonardo Di Caprio film and enjoyed it so I tried again and thought the book was magnificent. I've read Gone With The Wind several times over the years and each time I've felt differently about it.

mostlyharmless Tue 14-Nov-17 22:03:39

Very true deedaa. Books feel very different when you reread them.
Reflects all sorts of things I suppose - your experiences in life as well as changes in society. Going back to a much-loved book you expect it to be very familiar but somehow it's a different book!

DanniRae Thu 16-Nov-17 09:09:32

Just watched it after reading this thread and I loved it. So thank you - I have something to look forward to watching on Sunday! smile