Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Paul Hollywood: A Baker's Life (Channel 4)

(10 Posts)
jura2 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:20:04

Friends in Canterbury say that he has never ever paid the massive debts he left to local trades people there- when he went bankrupt. I find that shameful has he is now a multi-millionaire- surely he should have the decency to pay people he left so badly in the lurch now he can afford it.

So I really don't like him.

Christinefrance Tue 12-Dec-17 08:34:19

He doesn't really need any fans on here as he loves himself enough for all of us. ☺

Grannyknot Tue 12-Dec-17 07:37:54

merlot as is so often the case, no one knows (or will ever know) the whole story. People fall out of love all the time.

merlotgran Mon 11-Dec-17 22:30:15

Paul Hollywood, loyal?

His wife might beg to differ. hmm

Grannyknot Mon 11-Dec-17 22:07:36

washerwoman you've summarised the qualities that made me warm to him watching this show, perfectly. I also don't find him smug. I think people who have done well have a right to be proud of their achievements.

Washerwoman Mon 11-Dec-17 20:33:11

Thought I'd give this a try even though I've never been a Paul Hollywood fan.I don't find him smug,just think he's a very driven,ambitious man and he certainly has worked hard from the very start of his career.I think it speaks volumes that he's so loyal and relaxed with his oldest friends despite huge success,and his closeness to his family has made me respect him more.And I definitely prefer his simple no nonsense demonstration of recipes to Nigella's gushy style.I used to like her programmes but find I can't watch her anymore.

Marydoll Thu 07-Dec-17 16:01:42

I did watch it and he is so smug! I like the recipes, but I can't take to him at all.

merlotgran Thu 07-Dec-17 15:38:13

I really can't bear him so I won't be watching it either.

DanniRae Thu 07-Dec-17 14:31:06

I wouldn't watch it because I do not like him - Sorry!

Grannyknot Wed 06-Dec-17 17:02:10

I don't really watch GBBO but idly started watching this show and I'm so enjoying it. It's relaxed, friendly, and Paul and his family (mum, brother) come across as being so nice!

It feels authentic and includes recipes. Knocks spots off the Nigella show.

Highly recommended. And the twinkle in the blue eyes are a bonus. smile