Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

HOLBY City

(30 Posts)
farview Thu 07-Dec-17 21:00:36

OMG deserves an award for that two parter!! Brilliant!

Christinefrance Thu 07-Dec-17 21:27:50

Yes really had me gripped, poor Hansen, Holby will be different now. It was edge of the seat stuff I agree farview

Atqui Thu 07-Dec-17 21:59:23

Gripping. Now Dom will blame himself , and Sozia will say Ollie should have gone with her.(I know, it's only a story!)

paddyann Thu 07-Dec-17 22:09:17

Poor Raf..poor Essie ...wonder what Joe will do next.He's been good in everything I've seen him in

Friday Thu 07-Dec-17 22:31:31

It’s not real folks!

Nelliemoser Thu 07-Dec-17 23:16:27

What a load of B*****s. I rarely watch Holby City. sometomes it is on as something to knit to.

The story lines are just so contrived. I am sure the NHS does not have patient's relatives hanging around the wards all day and the staff having emotional dramas going on. Patients children hanging around the wards all the time. etc.
I am sure it must be possible to create a hospital drama that has some contact with reality.

kittylester Fri 08-Dec-17 07:33:44

Raf will go on the Strictly Tour!!!

I can't decide whether it was good or dreadful but it opens the way for new characters. I presume Jac will survive.

ninathenana Fri 08-Dec-17 08:02:32

Loved it.
I was shocked to see who the gunman was.
I'm sad and surprised that Raf has gone.

Nellie I know there is very little factual content but it's a drama made to entertain, which in my opinion it does.

Christinefrance Fri 08-Dec-17 08:46:42

I agree ninathenana it's good entertainment as far as I am concerned. If I want factual I will watch a documentary, though probably not one produced by the BBC.
It will be interesting to see the shift in the story lines now these characters have gone. What will happen to Valentine ?

Alima Fri 08-Dec-17 09:33:59

I haven’t watched Holly for years but have been intrigued by the trailers. Watched last night’s without having a clue who anyone was unless they used to be / are in casualty. Luckily DD2 filled me in this morning but didn’t know why Freddie did what he did. Could anyone tell me why he did?

Alima Fri 08-Dec-17 09:36:47

Actually that should read “Holby”. Blooming auto correct!

kittylester Fri 08-Dec-17 09:43:07

Fredrick was peed off that he didn't get a job - which went to Dom instead I think. Hansenn was instrumental in it not going to his son - possibly!!

Wonder whether Fletch will have a relationship with Eassie,or Jac or is that a dead end? Are Ric and Donna going to get together?

Welshwife Fri 08-Dec-17 12:21:36

Frederik had some trouble back in Sweden and became a disgraced surgeon - Hansen went over there for a while to try and sort it out. When Frederik got to Holby he expected his father to help him but he treated him the same as the others and knew his son was devious - as with trying to make it look as if Dom was still on the steroids - which he was not. Frederik was trying to punish his father and get his own back on those he thought were working against him.
Will be interesting to see what happens to the characters.

annodomini Fri 08-Dec-17 12:47:35

Now we know why Joe McFadden has had plenty of time to train for his wonderful Strictly routines! I suppose the shooting of Ollie and his probable brain damage must surely be a way of brining Sorcha (spelling?) back into the show. Poor old Ollie has had a fraught time, losing a twin sister and his Chinese wife, then Sorcha buzzing off across the Atlantic and now brain damage. Even for a soap, this is a lot for any character to put up with.

Alima Fri 08-Dec-17 12:59:16

Thank you for the info on Frederick, can explain it to DD2 now.

mcem Fri 08-Dec-17 13:38:21

Was aware that Joe Mc F was nowhere to be seen but didn't connect that to the early gunshots. Surprised to see who the culprit was!
I agree that Joe has put his spare time to good use - hope he wins the Glitterball.
Frankly Nellie I have enough gritty NHS reality in my life and don't need it in escapist drama. Think of all the unrealistic dramas set in schools or police stations and how popular they can be.
Maybe judicious use of your off-switch rather than rudely dismissing anything that's not to your taste as b******s?

kittylester Fri 08-Dec-17 15:10:23

I think Nellie said she rarely watches it. Her opinion is valid though!

goldengirl Fri 08-Dec-17 15:36:34

Mr de Lucca was one of my favourite characters - the other being Mr Hanssen. Can't believe Joe McF is out of it - it was a real shock. I guessed who the gunslinger was though and I'm so glad he didn't shoot 'his father' that would have been the last straw! I know it's not real but it's a great series I think and I prefer it to Casualty.

Christinefrance Fri 08-Dec-17 15:40:31

I agree goldengirl the acting in Casualty is often a bit leaden, Holby is better. I still watch Casualty though, I like medical dramas. Love Grey's Anatomy.

Welshwife Fri 08-Dec-17 16:14:11

It always amazes me that there is not more crossover of the characters - although I noticed Ian was in it last night.

Jane10 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:18:08

I never rated Joe Mc Fadden as an actor. He always sounded as though he was reading the script. Essie overacting as usual.
Poor Henrik. Poor Olli (even though he did steal his sister's exam results in an early and unconvincing episode. Holby geek? Moi?!)
Things will be different now in Holby.

farview Fri 08-Dec-17 17:49:19

Glad we all enjoyed it then!smile

NotAGran55 Sat 09-Dec-17 06:07:41

I love -- Nic Griffin -- Holby City

NotAGran55 Sat 09-Dec-17 06:08:13

Oh !! The score through didn't work !

goldengirl Sat 09-Dec-17 11:10:10

The actor who plays Nic Griffin read at the Saturday evening Remembrance event. He's got a gorgeous voice and presence. He's a Shakespearean actor I believe.

Casualty is recorded in Cardiff and Holby City in Borehamwood so to get actors sharing in A&E or hospital activities must mean considerable travel!!!