Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Festive season viewing.

(81 Posts)
shysal Mon 18-Dec-17 14:07:00

I have looked through the double edition of the Radio Times to see if there is anything I particularly want to watch or record. I have to say it seems like a load of cr*p! The only programme I will definitely see is the Cornley Polytechnic Society's A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong. Last year's Peter Pan Goes Wrong was brilliant, I laughed until I cried!
Is there anything you are looking forward to watching?

BBbevan Mon 18-Dec-17 14:12:45

Probably record The Minimalist and Little Women . The family will be here then so DH and I can watch them when they have gone.

BBbevan Mon 18-Dec-17 15:00:41

Senior moment !!!!!!
The Minatuarist ?

Greyduster Mon 18-Dec-17 15:16:13

I have never seen such a load of dross. The only good thing is it will give us a chance to record some of the stuff we lost when our freesat box died. Little Women is the only thing that stands out for me.

whitewave Mon 18-Dec-17 15:29:32

This is definately the time to treat yourself to a box set or two!

annsixty Mon 18-Dec-17 15:29:46

If Christmas Carol is as funny as Peter Pan, that will be my holiday viewing made.
It was so very funny.

whitewave Mon 18-Dec-17 15:30:36

We have series 5 of GoT and Netflix Crown. That should sort out our Christmas viewing

whitewave Mon 18-Dec-17 15:31:42

Agree about the play. Brilliant.

We are booked to see “The play that went wrong” at Chichester in January

TerriBull Mon 18-Dec-17 16:39:20

I'll record Little Women and The Minuaturist on Boxing Day as we will be entertaining family. I read the latter recently, a very good book, but not a happy story for Christmas. Still catching up with the last of Witnesses, and watched the first instalment of the Joan Crawford, Betty Davis biopic of the "Whatever happened to Baby Jane" which was good so have more episodes of that. Also recorded an Agatha Christie from last night "Crooked House", plus another French series on All4, "Vanished by the Lake". My son has kindly set up his Netflix account on our tv so we can watch the second series of "The Crown", we loved the first one and I gather this one is just as good. Quite a lot of viewing hours, should take us into 2018 grin

wildswan16 Mon 18-Dec-17 16:51:25

I will confess that I shall watch all the Harry Potter movies. Little Women sounds good, but apart from that it will just be the Carols from Kings and the 3p.m. Queen.

TerriBull Mon 18-Dec-17 17:18:56

Worth recording for the younger members of the family, Julia Donaldson's "The Highway Rat" on Christmas Day, our grandchildren have loved the two "Gruffalos", "Room on The Broom" my little grandson adores "Stick Man" I'm sure this new one will be up to the excellent standard of the others.

Anniebach Mon 18-Dec-17 17:54:45

Box sets, Ballykissngel and Larkrise to Candleford plus a Denzil Washington film and When Harry met Sally, both recorded .

lemongrove Mon 18-Dec-17 18:19:11

shysal thanks for mentioning that, I loved Peter Pan Goes Wrong, brilliantly funny.
Is A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong on BBC?

Chewbacca Mon 18-Dec-17 18:29:40

League of Gentlemen. I've been waiting years for another run if this.

Alima Mon 18-Dec-17 18:41:09

Not seen the listings yet but it doesn’t sound good. Noticed that iPlayer have some good stuff on. For example, the first series of Line of Duty which I missed the first time. Reckon box sets and streaming are the way to go.
Having said that, will take a look at League of Gentlemen.

DanniRae Mon 18-Dec-17 18:58:03

Loads for me to watch and record...........but I just LOVE telly!! tchgrin

shysal Mon 18-Dec-17 19:57:23

lemongrove, it is on BBC1 on December 30th.

Welshwife Mon 18-Dec-17 21:02:38

Row an Atkinson as Maigret - a surprising choice to play the detective but he was very good in the previous two stories.

lemongrove Mon 18-Dec-17 21:05:55

Thanks shysal tchsmile

Upstart Crow on Christmas Day ( evening) and The Highway Rat, also Christmas Day, must see both!

grumppa Mon 18-Dec-17 21:17:06

Upstart Crow looks good, but I was marked for life in about 1960 when the BBC showed Top Hat on Christmas Day. I have all the Astaire/Rogers films on dvd or Freeview recordings, but Christmas is not complete without some of their movies being broadcast. At least Darcey Bussell is presenting a programme on Fred, and that cannot overlook Ginger.

lemongrove Mon 18-Dec-17 21:21:35

When young I would have laughed if asked to watch a Fred Astaire/ Ginger Rogers movie, but I first watched one about ten years ago and was mesmerized by their dancing.
They must be considered as the very best, and it all looks so effortless!

BBbevan Tue 19-Dec-17 07:09:11

And as was always said,,Ginger did it all backwards and in high heels

travelsafar Tue 19-Dec-17 08:08:35

Victoria, The Midwives, Xmas Bake off, Little Women i love the look of these programmes.

Also love the radio too but haven't checked what is on there yet.

We will probably watch a film as my husband not keen on TV progs, so i will watch the above progs on play back after Xmas when he retreats back into his Den!!!! lol

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Dec-17 08:34:55

I haven't seen the listings yet, but even from the comments above I'm already looking forward to League of Gentlemen, Call the Midwife, Victoria, Little Women, The Miniaturist. Plus Dr Who. I'll be giving Bake Off and Whatever It Is That Goes Wrong a miss though, and Maigret, to me the most predictable, plodding and dull series for a long time. We enjoyed the University Challenge Alumni series last Christmas, so I hope they're doing that again.

As ever, there'll be something for all tastes and plenty for everyone. It was only when I lived abroad that I appreciated how very fortunate we are in the UK as regards TV. Any trips we take now just reinforce that!

Teetime Tue 19-Dec-17 09:10:37

It all looks dire to me too. Am I the only person who cannot abide Call the Midwife- I do not want to go into sympathetic labour especially on Christmas Day and as for endless Harry Potter words fail me. I expect we shall be Netflixing and watching things we have recorded