Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Celebrity Big Brother

(283 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 05-Jan-18 14:11:52

I confess, I am watching it. Someone phoned me Monday night and told me Anne Widdie and Rachel Johnson were in there. I think Widdie is great , met her once when she was here canvassing.

It has been women only to celebrate 100 years of women given the vote, sadly men are going in tonight.

Devorgilla Mon 08-Jan-18 16:20:09

rafichagran, I think we comment on Ann because she is a strong personality who will not be cowed into changing her mind. I also think she likes a good, well reasoned argument rather than a knee jerk reaction which you can get from others.
I enjoyed her exchange with Shane/Courtnay too. I think he is an intelligent and pleasant young man who knows not everyone will hold his views but at least likes you to defend yours reasonably. I think he was a bit surprised that Ann voted for gay rights and understood perfectly that for her it was about consenting adults, even if it did not sit easily with her beliefs. Something like the role of marriage in history and culture is much more controversial. I am sure we will hear more debates about it, and perhaps even the occasional hissy fit.

Penygirl Mon 08-Jan-18 19:39:59

Quite right Devorgilla Ann has strong opinions and can explain them clearly (when given the chance!) and I enjoyed the conversation with Shane too. I hope she isn’t one of the first to leave.
India is not coming across well at all, eg Trying to have private conversations and signalling to others not to discuss things in front of other housemates.

Anniebach Mon 08-Jan-18 19:46:01

I like Anne because ,agree with her or not on some things, she doesn't try to please, is polite, has her principles and sticks with them, and she does have a sense of humour, I hope she isn't voted out early.

Anniebach Mon 08-Jan-18 21:57:10

India , please SHUT UP

wot Mon 08-Jan-18 21:59:52

India HAS to go. The snivelling bitch.

wot Mon 08-Jan-18 22:02:48

Sorry, but she's really annoyed me!?

rafichagran Mon 08-Jan-18 22:15:09

India was sitting there waiting to be offended.

The rest of the housemates were having fun. India is one dreary moaney old cow. I hope she goes as she puts a real downer on the house with her one topic of conversation me, me, me. Its boring now.

I also noticed when Malika and the rest of the women in the bedroom were speaking they were saying the same thing. Ann remarked about her being obsessed.
I am fed up with her flouncing and diva like behaviour it's so boring now.

Anniebach Mon 08-Jan-18 22:21:07

She was unhappy as a man and is unhappy as a woman

Nannylovesshopping Mon 08-Jan-18 22:29:49

Great show tonight, India is just one of those people who sucks all the joy out of the room, I really hope she is voted out quickly, she needs some help

wot Mon 08-Jan-18 22:30:55

True. She needs to look within

wot Mon 08-Jan-18 22:32:49

I am quite a miserable old baggage but don't blame others for it like she does. (I hope)

Devorgilla Mon 08-Jan-18 22:40:08

Well, we certainly got the hissy fit tonight. Boring.

Eloethan Tue 09-Jan-18 00:24:28

I have only seen some of CBB. What is this about men in pain from childbirth? Is this yet another sadistic "trial" as per I'm a Celebrity?

I recorded and watched about 10 minutes of this evening's programme and felt uncomfortable with the explicitly sexual conversation. That sort of personal information doesn't interest me - I was hoping for more interesting debates.

I don't think I'll watch any more.

Ailsa43 Tue 09-Jan-18 02:19:21

I agree with everyone about India, I was all for giving her a chance as someone who had the opportunity of winning, but I soon changed my mind. She's singularly the most attention seeking spoiled moaning diva in there, and brings nothing to the house but misery. Everyone is having to tip-toe around her in case it upsets her sensitivities.

I know rachel is trying to pull on Ann strings to get some controversial statement from her..although she has eased off this last day or so... but I have to say thus far my clear winner has got to be Courtney/ Shane J ..what a lovely polite, intelligent, thoughtful and fun young man he is... I hope CBB is a huge boost to his career .

DanniRae Tue 09-Jan-18 09:10:17

I can't believe how much India likes to dominate everything in the house - is she not aware that when she starts the "Wow is me" conversations people start to leave the room? She has no self awareness at all. The sad thing is that she spent a large part of her life feeling that she needed to become a woman and now she is she is far from happy. I just hope that she is the first to go!!

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 09:18:02

Didn't like last nights showing, pity it turned crude

TerriBull Tue 09-Jan-18 09:28:23

Watched a few snippets yesterday from a couple of nights ago, Shane/Courtney comes across as a thoroughly nice young person and based on his present performance, a potential overall winner.

Lynnebo Tue 09-Jan-18 10:08:37

India is proving to be quite a talking point and I wouldn't be surprised if she is kept in as long as possible. There's no such thing as bad publicity!! grin

Devorgilla Tue 09-Jan-18 10:37:47

I agree that India will not be the first to go. So far, with us, the main people talked about are Ann, India and Shane. India will be kept in because of the way she behaves as long as possible as she winds us all up, and the housemates. Ann will be kept in because CBB probably know she will reach boiling point on the trite and sexually explicit conversation. I don't think Ann is a prude. I just think she sees those topics as inappropriate and unnecessary in such a group. If we as a responding group are anything to go by I think people are fed up with stupid sex talk and yearn for something more. Perhaps the 'something more' is inflicting pain. Hopefully it will be intelligent debate and conversation. Programmes like CBB know the public have a short attention span and have to work harder for that 'Wow' factor to keep their rating.
India is a mischief maker, constantly on the lookout to make others feel 'wrong' or bad about themselves and then to present herself as the victim. I think most of the inmates are fed up with her.
I will continue to watch until Ann is out and only after if worthwhile. I will watch the final though and hope Shane carries the prize. But early days, he could still blot his copybook.
BTW any other Gransnetters remember the BBC early 1970s programme - 'This is the year of the Sex Olympics - Sex Olympic year'? It was a taste of things to come in reality shows, sadly destroyed by the BBC to be seen no more. But just look what it spawned.

TerriBull Tue 09-Jan-18 11:00:34

I think Channel 5 have been manipulative in bringing India in. I have been following the argument over on MN, interested to hear what a younger demographic have to say on the matter, because in many ways the blurred lines we have around gender issues affects them more, being the ones who will have to carry forward the issues surrounding gender reassignment and how it may affect not only their lives, but their female offspring. The consensus there is emphatic. India is NOT a woman, but a transwoman and a very bad ambassador for that group of people. Occasionally a poster will pop up, possibly from the trans community who will state that India is most certainly a woman ending their post with the usual "end of" assertion, which is red rag to a bull because that phrase alone will guarantee the post will be shot down in flames. India is a parody of a woman in the same way as drag queens are, possibly as Courtney is when he is in female mode. He doesn't suffer any of the angst or conflict that seemingly India does and appears to be comfortable with his male and female persona without the "in your face agression" that India displays. India's vociferous assertions of "I am a woman" only serve to draw up the battle lines further and paradoxically reinforce a male stereotype the very thing he/she doesn't want.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 09-Jan-18 12:31:34

When Andrew aka Betty took himself to the garden clearly angry with India, his outbursts, rightly so in mho, showed very conclusively in his choice of expletives, that India is most definitely not a woman in his eyesgrin

wot Tue 09-Jan-18 21:03:33

Here we go!!

wot Tue 09-Jan-18 21:13:39

The men are awful!

wot Tue 09-Jan-18 21:27:29

I'm hoping she will 'go off on one' cos it's more fun!

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 21:52:58

India is phobia free