Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

trauma

(36 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 13-Feb-18 07:35:21

If you watched this new drama last night how did you feel about it?I am feeling the father of the son is a bit over the top at the moment, hopefully it is for the reasons he believes. He is just coming across to me as a not very nice person looking for someone to blame for everything wrong in his life, apart from the tragic death of his son.

Washerwoman Tue 13-Feb-18 08:10:25

We chose to watch this over Collateral which John Simmons-an actor I usually highly rated-was in on BBC at the same time.Wish we had watched that now,will catch up on I player.
The scene where the grieving father interrogates the surgeon on his own seems very implausible, surely someone from management would also be there.As for the surgeon attending the funeral?Found the whole thing clunky.But it's the same writer as Doctor Foster and I felt that -especially the 2nd series -was a load of overblown tosh with characters I couldn't really care about.
Will watch the lovely Douglas Henshall back in Shetland tonight instead of episode 2 of this .

Washerwoman Tue 13-Feb-18 08:10:53

Sorry John Simm I mean !

Smithy Tue 13-Feb-18 09:29:56

You have to remember its fiction so anything can happen. There has been so much drama on TV lately though, with endings left up in the air, I feel loath to get into another series. I watched Collateral on BBC2, then Trauma on ITV+1 last night, not sure if I want to follow either of them up.

Kateykrunch Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:13

It was a load of boll** (complete tosh)!

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Feb-18 10:07:54

Oh dear, I’ve been sucked into yet another drama series that could well disappoint! The father’s a self-centred oaf, and his wandering into the operating theatre and confronting the surgeon at the hospital later were just not credible. At least it’s only three episodes, and of course once started, I need to know how it finishes!

glammanana Tue 13-Feb-18 10:29:09

I do think the surgeon's daughter will become involved in a bigger way ?? lets wait and see.
I watched it on +1 after Collateral and can't make my mind up as to watch it to-night or not.

Auntieflo Tue 13-Feb-18 10:37:24

We watched Collateral and recorded Trauma, just because John Simm is in both, and being dozy I could well confuse the two plots and get a completely different story altogether.
hmm

silverlining48 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:07:38

Out tv suddenly stopped working last night, it wouldn't switch on, so I didn’t get to watch either. Its on the floor in front of me, its back removed with all the screws carefully placed and its inner bits on display. Am hoping dh will be able to fix it. Actually feeling a bit worried as i have already planned what i wanted to watch tonight.....

silverlining48 Tue 13-Feb-18 12:56:32

News update, my clever dh looked on utube and found someone on there with advice, and he HAS FIXED IT.

TerriBull Tue 13-Feb-18 13:17:59

Nope watched Collateral, recorded it but I'm wondering if I can be bothered. John Simm a good actor but clearly the acting equivalent of a bus, nothing for ages then two at once!

Washerwoman Tue 13-Feb-18 13:55:03

Agree Maggie may. Having grumbled may well watch on Catch up later,not tonight. DH is out a couple of evenings and he's not bothered.Sort of want to know the outcome.Gave up onto the other drama Next of kin recently though so will depend what else is on.I don't watch any of the soaps ,and thEuropean sooty lines can be bonkers,so how bad can it be ?!

Charleygirl Tue 13-Feb-18 14:39:04

I agree with what has been said re Trauma and a lot of it is not credible but it was easy watching, I could hear and understand what was said so I will watch it again tonight.

Moocow Tue 13-Feb-18 14:51:42

It was a let down so won't bother to watch rest.

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Feb-18 19:12:13

I am just in awe of a DH who can fix a television, silverlining. My old man thinks that anything can be mended by a firm tap with a hammer, so we'd have been out buying a new one this afternoon.

travelsafar Tue 13-Feb-18 21:40:25

Started watching the 2nd part of this series and have just turned it off as it is so far fetched!!!

BlueBelle Tue 13-Feb-18 22:03:47

I m really enjoying this one perhaps I m a simple person.although I found some of it far fetched at least the story had a ring of truth unlike that silly girlfriends that was so far fetched it was like a grins fairy tale
I’m looking forward to the final one tomorrow

Charleygirl Tue 13-Feb-18 22:09:13

I agree, tonight's was so far fetched.

Smithy Tue 13-Feb-18 22:57:32

Switched it off three quarters of way through - load of c--p!
And I'm no prude, but is it necessary to refer to sex by the Anglo Saxon term in every programme now.

supernannyjane Wed 14-Feb-18 18:05:32

I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief, but there were holes in the plot you could drive an emergency ambulance through.... How did the father gain access to a locked operating theatre (when the trauma consultant had to press a button to unlock the door to exit)? Why didn't the consultant tell him the reason he didn't come back in 'five minutes' was because he (and several other people) was trying to save his son? Why hasn't someone asked the parents why they aren't remotely interested in who stabbed their son? How did the father know to enter the lecture theatre at exactly the time the consultant and co. were discussing his son's case? I lost interest at this point only to have my husband insist on telling me the rest of the plot of episode 2 this morning (in excruciating detail and with even more bonkers loopholes). Give me Shetland anyday (notwithstanding vigilantes!)...

BlueBelle Wed 14-Feb-18 19:37:02

It’s fiction not factual supernanny

BlueBelle Thu 15-Feb-18 08:44:07

Well after defending it so heartily it fizzled out into a nothing ending oh dear what a dissointin* ending AGAINB

Granny23 Thu 15-Feb-18 09:39:39

I think the writer was trying to write a fable about the Haves and the Have nots. He did not succeed. This was no 'Cathy come home' or 'The full Monty'. The 'characters', changed character from scene to scene.

Is/was it just me who found it unbelievable, that at no time did the Father make any reference to the fact that the Surgeon was Black?

Mapleleaf Thu 15-Feb-18 11:30:43

I didn't watch it, the trailer advertising it put me off. Seems as if I might have been right?

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Feb-18 17:37:35

I thought the truth the surgeon was hiding from the father, “for his own good”, might be that his very delicate micro-surgery went to pot when he was distracted by a ranting intruder bursting into the sterile operating theatre demanding to know what was going on!