Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shetland

(70 Posts)
jusnoneed Wed 14-Feb-18 08:54:09

How good to have Shetland back, after the disappointing new ones of Endeavour and Silent Witness.
What an ending to first of the series!
And Tosh is staying, was sorry when they made it look as if she was going to be leaving at the end of the last series.

J52 Wed 21-Mar-18 08:02:29

The actor that played Thomas was a in Outlander. He was excellent in that as well, playing a rough, uncouth Highlander who met an untimely death!
It was quite strange seeing him all cleaned up!

Luckygirl Wed 21-Mar-18 15:43:40

I have just finished watching the final episode on iPlayer and all through I was willing it not to end as I was blown away by the totally brilliant acting. The cinematography is excellent too.

That is one brilliant series!

Cold Wed 21-Mar-18 16:28:51

I loved this series - so many cliffhangers!

The only thread that they didn't really tie up was the Norwegian Police Officer who was working with the White Supremacists

Mapleleaf Wed 21-Mar-18 17:15:13

I wonder if they might pick up on that in the next series, Cold?

BlueBelle Thu 22-Mar-18 06:51:25

I have just seen the last episode as I ve been away What a blinder loved it, very good acting oh what a sad sad ending that got me
No problem with the accent as I use the sub titles why don’t others who are complaining they can’t hear it ?
Im new to Shetland it and will eagerly await another series
Big thumbs up

Grannyknot Thu 22-Mar-18 07:01:20

Outstanding series and I agree 're the actor playing Thomas Malone - he had me onside no matter what he got up to.

Now we have to wait until next year!

NanKate Thu 22-Mar-18 13:57:00

Loved the final episode too.

If you haven’t seen Keeping Faith on BBC IPlayer I suggest you check it out. Equally as good as Shetland.

LadyGracie Thu 22-Mar-18 17:48:35

A great series. I now always have the subtitles on as DH has a nasty habit of asking what someone just said.

jusnoneed Thu 22-Mar-18 18:09:17

It was an unexpected ending, sad too.

Iv'e watched the first couple of episodes of Keeping Faith, enjoyed them.
Also watched first two of The Disappearance last night, another good one.

Floradora9 Fri 23-Mar-18 10:11:14

I read an interesting article on the Scotsman page of facebook . It was an interview with Alison O'Donnell aka Tosh . She was 6 months pregnant by the end of filming and her tartan shirts had to be made bigger and worn outside her waistband to hide it . She said she was amazed at the number of foreign visitors on Shetland thanks to this programme and was pleased not to be recognised with her hair back and wearing glasses. She is really in her 30 though she looks younger. They seem to be a very happy bunch filming together.

seacliff Sun 25-Mar-18 10:55:06

I have just watched this series, thanks to Gransnet. Amazing programme, loved it. Great atmospheric scenery and lovely accents. Also how nice to have a proper ending (but sad).

I have never watched this before, so now want to find series 1 to 3. I could buy DVD, but am looking at Prime etc too.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Mar-18 13:43:26

Me too seacliff hopefully find the past ones on my iPad
Lovely to have a proper ending even if it was a sad one

BlueBelle Sun 25-Mar-18 13:46:53

Was series 1 and 2 called Shetland too or did they have other names please ?

Welshwife Sun 25-Mar-18 14:35:01

They were Shetland too.
You may like a series set in Wales called Hinterland - filmed around Aberystwyth.

seacliff Sun 25-Mar-18 20:12:04

Thanks Welshwife, I'll look out for that.

I am watching Keeping Faith and love it (another Welsh programme).

There is yet another Welsh programme coming, looks interesting. That's Craith/ Hidden. I think the English version isn't out until later this year.

Auntieflo Sun 25-Mar-18 20:19:59

I'm sure that there are a couple of actors in Keeping Faith that were also in Hinterland

seacliff Sun 25-Mar-18 20:24:51

I've started watching Shetland Series 1 on YouTube on my laptop. It's not very good picture quality though, which is a shame with that great scenery.

Welshwife Sun 25-Mar-18 20:45:01

Yes - Evan’s sister is the police sergeant in Hinterland and Steve Baldini is in lots of Welsh programmes.

lemongrove Sun 25-Mar-18 20:54:03

I will look for Hinterland, is it in Welsh?

lemongrove Sun 25-Mar-18 20:54:48

Am missing Shetland already!

Welshwife Sun 25-Mar-18 21:08:10

They did two versions of Hinterland - one in Welsh and one in English - three series I think - the two language versions are filmed at the same time to keep the continuity etc.
They are due to show the Welsh version of Hidden and then and English one on BBC Wales before the other regions. It has not aired on BBC Wales yet.

lemongrove Sun 25-Mar-18 21:10:32

Thank you smile

BBbevan Sun 25-Mar-18 21:14:46

Absolutely love Hinterland. Always go that way when going to N Wales. Beautifully bleak. Also like the actors and the excellent stories When is the next series ?

Jane10 Sun 25-Mar-18 21:16:30

Loved the pace of Shetland. Quiet, thoughtful Perez is a nice change from other cop shows. You don't expect detectives to be so kind. Scenery and atmosphere great but, somehow, I don't fancy going there. Too bleak.

mcem Sun 25-Mar-18 22:06:26

And don't forget that Anne Cleeves' Shetland books are readily available. I actually preferred elements of the books. Never worked out why Dougie Henshall was cast as the darkly handsome Perez of the books but he did an excellent job!