Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bias from the BBC

(82 Posts)
whitewave Fri 02-Mar-18 08:59:15

Everywhere on social media you see complaints of bias by the BBC.

This link shows one area of absolute bias. No argument whatsoever

pbs.twimg.com/media/DXPMxGxXUAAJA8P?format=jpg

whitewave Sat 03-Mar-18 17:14:10

pbs.twimg.com/media/DXUitRvWsAAEFGl?format=jpg

whitewave Sat 03-Mar-18 17:18:41

Tweet

“Question Time recieves rave reviews as Nigel Farage welcomes special guest David Dimbleby”

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Mar-18 17:37:29

I am presuming that most posters feel that the BBC is biased towards favouring Brexit?
Surely Laura Kuenssberg is doing her best to redress the balance?

varian Sat 03-Mar-18 18:44:58

I don't know how many of you read my last post on this thread and thought "I've never heard of Graham Watson ."

The point is you might never have heard of Nigel Farage had it not been for the hours of free publicity over twenty years that Farage had on umpteen occasions from the BBC and Graham Watson never had, except for the odd appearance in the Sunday Politics in the SW.

whitewave Sat 03-Mar-18 18:52:25

Point well made varian

Morgana Sat 03-Mar-18 19:55:26

I don't watch the BBC News any more. Far too biased and limited in scope. Channel 4 News is much better, although I had issues with an item a couple of weeks ago. And as for QT! Most of the women on the panel are horrendous!
What has happened to the BBC? Just Govt. lapdogs now?

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:40:18

whitewave Farage didn't do himself any favours by appearing on QT the other night - quite the reverse in fact.

And I did think it was the Ken Clarke Show as he held centre stage, interrupted by an OTT Farage.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:44:19

I make that 3-2. But there again maths was never my strong point.
petra grin
And Remainer Ken, as I said above, held centre stage.
Radzi didn't get much of a chance to say anything though
Owen was sensible when he got a word in edgeways
and when Dimbleby questioned Michelle Dewberry about what was common sense, she told him that if he listened to her he'd find out. Touché - whether you agree with her or not.

lemongrove Sat 03-Mar-18 20:47:34

grin

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:48:10

^ "I've never heard of Graham Watson ."^
Well, I have, if you mean the Republican Graham Watson who accepted a knighthood - is that the one?

whitewave Sat 03-Mar-18 20:59:52

Question now being asked on twitter.

“Since when has it been part of the BBC constitution that Rees-Mogg has to appear on all political shows?”

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 22:59:11

He wasn't there on Thursday - I knew there was someone missing, just couldn't think who.
I've just realised that Emily Thornberry was the other one who was missing

Perhaps the snow kept them away.

Granny23 Sun 04-Mar-18 17:44:24

More ridiculous, biased reporting from the BBC

Granny23 Mon 05-Mar-18 12:08:26

Not the BBC but the Scotsman, whose sole purpose seems to be to bad mouth the Scottish Government at every turn.

www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/leader-comment-it-s-the-government-s-job-to-keep-traffic-moving-1-4699145

gillybob Mon 05-Mar-18 12:44:17

Not sure what's wrong with it Granny23? unless its lies? Or maybe I'm just missing something? confused

Granny23 Mon 05-Mar-18 17:26:43

Don't know whether you mean the Sarah Smith quote or the Scotsmans leader Gilly.

Sarah Smith stated that 100,000 patients had waited more than 4 hours in A&E when in fact the total number of patients attending A&E that week was only 25,000 (most of whom were seen within the 4 hours.)

As for the Scotsman's Leader - firstly there was well more than a 'few inches' of snow over most of Scotland. The strong wind ensured that there were 6 to 8 foot drifts on some roads. Lorries and cars had jack-knifed or become stuck, causing following traffic to stack up for miles behind them. It was still snowing so these vehicles were all 'snowed in' and had to be dug out. Meanwhile emergency vehicles, gritters, snowploughs and breakdown trucks could not reach the trapped motorists, nor clear the roads. Although some motorways were cleared , problems arose with the approach/leaving roads which were not clear so that vehicles were backed up on the motorway as they could not get off.

I thought this was highly irresponsible of The Scotsman, encouraging motorists to ignore the warnings and set off regardless.

BTW did you read the disgusting comments on the article?

GillT57 Mon 05-Mar-18 17:42:20

Whenever I start despairing of the BBC news and current affairs programmes, I 'cure' myself by watching a bit of Fox, or Sky..........I do agree though that there are certain politicians who have got the BBC to thank for their careers, people like Farage and Rees-Mogg who get trotted out as the novelty acts. I know she is not to everyone's taste, but I like Laura Kuennsberg, she went up in my estimation when she managed to ruffle the feathers of the usually urbane Cameron ( remember him? Called a pointless referendum, didn't get the answer he expected, left in a huff)

gillybob Mon 05-Mar-18 21:18:05

Thanks Granny23 my mistake . I assumed the 100,000 might be made up of all hospital patients whereas the 25,000 was for A&E alone. I agree hugely irresponsible to encourage (or not discourage) motorists from travelling in what were treacherous conditions. Typical comments from idiots though. Those people who know it all.

varian Sat 24-Mar-18 11:21:05

Every week the Question Time audience is packed with angry brexiters. This week all members of the audience were said to be under thirty years old, an age group which mainly voted Remain, yet there was an overwhelming majority of loud mouthed brexiters.

Puzzling isn't it? - No, not if you know whose job it is to select the audience- a person called Alison Fuller Pedley who has a record of retweeting messages from far-right groups including EDL and Britain first. So much for BBC impartiality!

twitter.com/ghneale/status/962327917152886785?lang=en

paddyann Sat 24-Mar-18 11:27:43

yesterday there was a demo in Edinburgh ...hands of our parliament ,it attracted a decent turnout for a Friday morning.The media BOTH BBC and STV reported a turnout of a few hundred when in fact there were around 3 thousand people there.Its what we've come to expect.They dont want the public who ONLY see news on TV or hear it on radio to know the Independence cause is still strong so they tell blatant lies .

Granny23 Sat 24-Mar-18 12:05:49

Another view of the crowd on the day. Unable to be there I watched the evening news, but they gave more coverage to a horses head found in a burn, than a giant demo. Fortunately I was able to watch some on LiveStream until the Power went off for 2 hours, for no apparent reason? Paranoid? Moi?

paddyann Sat 24-Mar-18 13:19:12

Granny23 the crowd changed throughout the day with people coming for a couple of hours and going onto work etc .So the numbers sat at around 3000 but was quite a bit higher .As I said before we're used to it but people who depend on MSM for their news think the independence movement is dead and its far from that.So many yesterday were fizzing that the UNELECTED Bishop of York has a vote and a very vocal opinion on Scotland 's brexit when our own ELECTED MPs dont get a vote.This man should do the right thing and distance himself from it,quite frankly thats why many want independence too many people who have no allegiance to our country ,who dont live ,work or contribute to it thinking they should be able to tell us how to run our lives.Scared they'll lose their cash cow !!

whitewave Sat 24-Mar-18 15:41:04

Point well made. I notice the BBC reported a march in the USA but nothing about the march in the UK

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZEE-sfWAAAItQJ?format=jpg

felice Sat 24-Mar-18 15:42:43

Graham Watson and his wife are friends of mine and he is a vary sensible articulate man.
If anyone wants to see another angle on the brexit/remain issue you should look for a documentary called, Postcards from the 48%.
Sorry I cannot find a link but if anyone is in Brussels on the 10th of April we are showing it at the Parliament then.
No I am not a politician nor do I work in one of the EU institutions, for details PM me.

whitewave Sat 24-Mar-18 20:11:23

Alastair Campbell suggests the next Brexit march be held outside the BBC.

They of course won’t cover it but someone else might grin