Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

800 words

(16 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 07-May-18 14:36:14

Anyone else enjoying this daytime Aussie soap ?
Have you noticed the total lack of continuity regarding George's dining table smile There may well be other points I haven't noticed.

Good easy watching, if a bit pradictable at times.

rockgran Mon 07-May-18 15:05:12

Very escapist and not to be analysed too closely. I love this programme - so summery and colourful. I find it amusing that the women are all gorgeous with lovely clothes despite the place being so cut off from civilisation. sunshine

Grannyknot Mon 07-May-18 16:56:36

I'm also enjoying 800 Words - I wrote about it on the "Film and TV Recommendations" thread ...

I was distracted though by the feeling that the "teenage" daughter didn't look very teenagey to me, so I Googled and yep, she's 26 grin

The other nice Aussie/Kiwi series to look for is "The Heart Guy":

drama.uktv.co.uk/shows/the-heart-guy/

Grannyknot Mon 07-May-18 16:58:13

Actually (apologies) The Heart Guy is set in Australia only (not NZ) - he is barred from practising as a heart surgeon ("bad boy") and goes back to his rural home town in Australia. The two shows are quite easily confused!

ninathenana Mon 07-May-18 17:27:27

"Grannyknot*
Sorry I confess I didn't search to find other threads.
It was the poor continuity that prompted me to write.

stella1949 Tue 08-May-18 07:25:09

I find it amusing that "The Heart Guy" is known in Australia as "Doctor Doctor" ( a play on the song by Robert Palmer "Doctor, Doctor, give me the news....I've got a bad case of loving you".)

I've always wondered what makes the producers decide that the people of various countries need movies and TV shows altered for their consumption. I'm sure we're all able to work things out for ourselves . The Heart Guy is a great show, whatever it is called.

Marydoll Tue 08-May-18 08:12:31

I too enjoy 800 words. Pure escapism and easy to watch.
DH favours Scandinavian noir, which, I sometimes find too violent, so this is an antidote to it.
I must look for the other Australian doctor drama. I find the script BBC Doctors programme becoming quite contrived and rediculous.q

Mapleleaf Tue 08-May-18 13:18:40

It's an easy watch. Doesn't require any deep analysis!!
I, too, wonder at the age of some of the "teenagers" in the show, though!

harrigran Fri 11-May-18 08:33:13

Watched half of the first episode, found it to be utter tripe and deleted the series timer, life is too short.

Welshwife Fri 11-May-18 08:58:52

Dr Blake is on again next week.

Welshwife Fri 11-May-18 09:01:46

Just had a look and it is series 5 which I think we have probably had on before - they have made a series 6.

Lynnebo Sat 12-May-18 12:25:49

Loved 800 Words! Amazed that the BBC put it on in the afternoon- would have been so nice to have some light viewing in the evenings! As it is I taped them to watch later on.
Don’t know what I’m going to watch now!
Also really enjoyed the Heart Guy.

ninathenana Sat 12-May-18 12:59:13

Oh no, Welshwife that's disappointing. I was looking forward to Dr. Blake.

Anyone else recognise 'Woody' in 800 words as the young P.C. in Dr. Blake ?

Welshwife Sat 12-May-18 13:36:45

I didn’t recognise that Nina but I think he was my favourite character. They have made another series so I suppose we will eventually see it.

cadifan Thu 20-Sep-18 03:37:13

Wow, I didn't know they gave "Doctor Doctor" a different name overseas.
While 800 Words is technically Australian because the production company is Australian it's 100% completely filmed in New Zealand starring both Aussie and NZ actors. But all us extras are all Kiwi's.
I was an extra on the show in one episode, I'm the tow truck driver on the left of the picture.

farview Thu 20-Sep-18 14:06:35

Anyone know if The HeartGuy is going to be on again...loved it!