Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Richard Osmans House of Games

(13 Posts)
DanniRae Mon 02-Jul-18 19:01:01

Good point petra!

petra Mon 02-Jul-18 18:59:44

If they are fed the answers they have a very short memories as when it comes to the 'where is Afganistan' section, most of them can't remember.

DanniRae Mon 02-Jul-18 15:55:04

I certainly don't think so Annie - I can't imagine why specki thinks so - perhaps she would like to explain?? confused

Anniebach Mon 02-Jul-18 14:27:07

Are those taking part been pre fed with the answers ?

DanniRae Mon 02-Jul-18 14:23:22

confused

specki4eyes Mon 02-Jul-18 14:17:12

OK I take your points and I'm as happy to have a gentle giggle as the rest of you. This though verges on insulting one's intelligence. What is the point of a watching a quiz show if the 'contestants' are pre-fed with the answers (by and large). Why not just have them come on and spar with the excellent Richard Osman? I like watching Would I Lie to You - of course! -here the amusement and entertainment is in the skill of the comedians' delivery.

It just seems to me that so many things these days are faked, fudged or downright mendacious. Prime Ministers and Presidents lie; Cabinet Ministers cheat and behave like vulgar street fighters; News Editors are, in the main, economical with the truth. It is our culture now and I'm getting on and very cynical, but when we are just talking about a bit of tea-time entertainment - why shouldnt we expect the game be played for real, as say, Pointless is?

Pittcity Sat 30-Jun-18 18:50:19

I'm a fan. I love the way that they change clothes and pretend that it's another day when they obviously record them all on the same day.

ninathenana Sat 30-Jun-18 18:38:01

Love it

fourormore Sat 30-Jun-18 13:50:21

What I should have added was that different programmes appeal to different people. If Specki doesn't like this programme I am sure there are others that she enjoys that I would detest!
There are loads of programmes on all channels these days that really put me off living, let alone watching!

fourormore Sat 30-Jun-18 13:47:25

Personally we have enjoyed this programme.
As others have said - with the 'fantastic' prizes such as a tooth brush and the obviously plastic trophy it cannot be taken seriously.
To be honest it don't consider it a 'general knowledge' quiz - more a 'game' We particularly enjoy the final round, the Answersmash where one answer combines with the other. It is very tricky to combine the answers without repeating the 'overlapping' syllables.
It is a bit of fun!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jun-18 09:46:38

I thoroughly enjoy it, makes a change from the drab quiz shows which have been round for years.

As for the celebrity's I have seen at least 2 news readers and 1 historian.

DanniRae Sat 30-Jun-18 09:35:45

I have to say that I really enjoy this programme and find it amusing. I don't think that it's meant to be taken too seriously - you can tell by the 'daily prizes'. They are all rather trivial items including slippers, dart boards and a Richard Osman 'doll'. The final winner of the 4 celebs gets a large 'silver' trophy which is clearly made of plastic. My daughter watched an episode here, her sister then saw an episode at her house and so they are fans too!!
Finally I don't for one minute think it is a 'fix' because who would bother to do that so someone could win a pair of Richard Osman slippers?

specki4eyes Sat 30-Jun-18 09:20:03

Am I being over cynical about this quiz show or has anyone else detected that it is, by and large, fixed? A quartet of so-called 'celebrities' is individually questioned. Most of the time one can discern that some of them have barely a brain cell, let alone any knowledge..then suddenly, wham! when it comes to a challenging question, they spout off the correct answer!
The BBC depresses me, seemingly believing that it's early evening viewers will be entertained by this sort of stuff. And what a shame to involve a bright chap like Richard Osman in such a scam.
Yes I know! ... there is the Off button, and I use it all too frequently!