Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Films worth watching

(30 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 02-Nov-18 17:50:09

We have just acquired the ability to watch films via our roku/amazon prime. Can anyone please recommend any really good films to select - there are so many that it is hard to know where to start!

I don't like SF or films that rely on special effects!

Jane43 Fri 02-Nov-18 22:22:24

It’s a difficult ask because what one person loves another person hates, but these films are on Amazon Prime and we have enjoyed watching them.

The Blind Side
The Illusionist
In Bruges
The Only Living Boy In New York
The Ides Of March
Heat

Our very favourite film is Legends Of The Fall starring Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins but I’m not sure if it is on Amazon Prime and anything with Edward Norton in is usually very good. He is in The Illusionist which is on my list. He is also in American History X which is on Amazon Prime and a brilliant film but I always warn people that the content may offend them so it is best to read a synopsis first.

I’m sure you can find something you like but as you say there is so much on there.

Luckygirl Fri 02-Nov-18 22:29:24

Thanks for those ideas - I can look up reviews before getting stuck in to amazon.

Bathsheba Fri 02-Nov-18 22:44:39

I absolutely loved:

The Hundred Foot Journey
The Light Between Oceans
Lion (this one really is a 'must-see'!)
Sarah's Key

All of these are on Prime. I'm sure there are many others I would love too as there is so much available, but I tend to default to Netflix for films and don't often think of checking the latest additions to Amazon Prime!

KatyK Sat 03-Nov-18 12:15:23

I loved Saving Mr Banks and Goodbye Christopher Robin.

EllanVannin Sat 03-Nov-18 12:30:21

I still prefer my " Talking Pictures " channel.

MeltingMacaron Sat 03-Nov-18 12:50:45

Taste in films is a very personal thing.

I'm still old school and like DVDs plus there are many, many more films available through DVD subscription services such as Cinema Paradiso than there are on streaming services. This is good if you enjoy old, niche, indie, foreign language etc.

I set a lot of store by Mark Kermode and Peter Bradshaw's reviews and recommendations. MK's list of best films of 2016 and 2017 and new releases in 2018 wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Juggernaut Sat 03-Nov-18 12:55:34

As Jane43 says, 'The Illusionist', it's a lovely film!

annsixty Sat 03-Nov-18 12:56:18

One of the first films I watched after subscribing to Amazon Prime was "What we did Last Summer", starring Billy Connolly, it was not what I expected and I loved it.

Luckygirl Sat 03-Nov-18 13:35:05

That sounds up my street ann!

Grannyknot Sat 03-Nov-18 16:56:55

I loved Manchester by the Sea - a beautiful film, it is sad and uplifting all at the same time. It won all sorts of awards.

"Loss and grief—and the messy, indirect ways people cope with emotional fallout is captured in this commanding, absorbing work in which the sum of its impact may be greater than any individual scenes".

Eloethan Sat 03-Nov-18 17:12:20

The Post - Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks. A moral dilemma for a newspaper regarding leaked top secret report regarding Vietnam - a huge scandal that preceded Watergate.

The Ides of March - Ryan Gosling. political thriller

Up in the Air - George Clooney - wry and clever, somewhat sad too

annep Sat 03-Nov-18 20:10:10

I always go for the foreign films first.

annep Sat 03-Nov-18 20:13:53

Bathsheba suggested
Sarahs Key ,
Light Between Oceans.
both very good.

Juggernaut Sat 03-Nov-18 23:12:37

Luckygirl
We've just watched 'Finding Your Feet', Imelda Staunton, Tim Spall, Celia Imrie.
Both of us enjoyed every moment, so I recommend it!
Also, have a look at;
Mr Holmes, Ian McKellen
The Imitation Game, Benedict Cumberbatch
Evolution, David Duchovny. It's Sci-fi-ish, but very good, and really quite funny.
Elf, Will Ferrell (Christmas film, obviously)
Not on Prime at the moment, and of the fantasy genre, look out for Stardust, with Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Sienna Miller, Robert de Niro. When DS told me to watch it, I thought it sounded dreadful, but it's lovely, just a really good, enjoyable film!
Have funsmile

Luckygirl Sun 04-Nov-18 12:39:34

Thanks everyone - I am making a list!

MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 15:04:05

I'm about to suggest something you said you don't like.? A Marvel comics super hero action movie!

Dr Strange.

Benedict Cumerbatch as you've never seen him before!

gulligranny Sun 04-Nov-18 15:16:17

Not sure if it's on Prime, but we recently watched "Bridge of Spies" which was brilliant.

Luckygirl Sun 04-Nov-18 17:28:58

My list is growing!

petra Mon 05-Nov-18 19:57:02

Luckygirl
If you like a bit of black humour The unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Hamstead.
Inception
All The Presidents Men
Erin Brockovitch
Julia &Julia
Brick Lane
The Way Back ( amazing true story)
The Death of Stalin ( more black comedy)
Kinky Boots ( not what you think) based on a true story.
Lucky, I don't know if your aware that you can put the Prime app on your iPad and choose your films and they will appear on your 'Watch List' when you go onto Prime on your TV.

Jane43 Mon 05-Nov-18 22:43:21

As I mentioned before I am a fan of Ed Norton and The Painted Veil, The Score and Keeping The Faith are all very good films.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 05-Nov-18 23:20:59

Atonement

Anna Karenina

Jimmy's Hall

hillwalker70 Tue 06-Nov-18 07:15:39

I will second Manchester by the sea, such a well made and the sort of film that leaves you deep in thought for long after, a must see.

overthehill Tue 13-Nov-18 09:25:21

Not sure about Amazon Prime as we don't have it. We go to the cinema fairly regularly as we booked insurance thru compare the market so get BOGOF with the meerkats. This means DH and I both get to see a film on a Wednesday for £2.50 each.

We have seen rubbish but at the price we don't worry (we also get to eat Ben & Jerry's cherry garcia ice cream which you can't buy in the shops).

We have enjoyed the last 3 films we've seen though and they are:

Mamma Mia here we go again
Johnny English Strikes Back
Bohemian Rhapsody

Bathsheba Tue 13-Nov-18 09:29:11

Oh I should have mentioned What We Did On Our Holidays, starring Billy Connelly. A truly wonderful film, both heartwarming and heartbreaking.