Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Portillo's Hidden History of Britain.

(10 Posts)
POGS Tue 13-Nov-18 10:50:29

The first part of his series was interesting , did anybody else wastch it?

I found learning a little more behind the Guinea Pig Club and how the doctors over both WW1. & WW 11 evolved plastic surgery very interesting .

Who knew about the surgeon performing ' illegally ' in the 50's sex change operations.?

This series may not be in the realms of BBC's House of Assad / House of Saud or the brilliant Simon Reeves Mediterranean but worth a try.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:44:08

I like Portillo as a presenter, will have to find this on catch-up.

Watch his "Railway journeys" programmes, it's nice to be an armchair traveller sometimes.

Rufus2 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:59:33

The first part of his series was interesting , did anybody else see it?
Not sure of this series, which you would obviously be seeing before us, but we've had several extremely interesting progs. so far, Not to mention his excellent railways coverage of Britain. Brings back memories.! smile

POGS Tue 13-Nov-18 13:27:37

Granny Gravy

It is on Channel 5 at 9 pm on Fridays.

POGS Tue 13-Nov-18 13:30:41

Hi Rufus

His railway series are good aren't they.

Do you know I can't remember if he ever covered the Australian rail network, I think that's where you are from.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 14:10:05

Thank you POGS will watch this Friday

Rufus2 Wed 14-Nov-18 06:58:22

Do you know I can't remember if he ever covered the Australian rail network
Nor can I, although plenty of others have. I've followed most of Michael's "Great British Railways". Lovely progs. combining railway mania with historical travelogues of all the routes. Chris Tarrant with his "Extreme Railways" has done "The Ghan," which crossed it off my "bucket list". As you say, best seen from the armchair, too boring! Other progs. have been excellent; we are currently seeing a repeat 4-part series of Mumbai rail and we get Michael's Britain series practically every second evening; easy to record! Happy memories! smile

TwiceAsNice Wed 14-Nov-18 08:04:08

I am enjoying this series and watched all his railway series as well both in Europe and America as well as Britain. I think he is a very relaxed presenter and he'll have a go at anything

POGS Wed 14-Nov-18 11:21:17

Granny Gravy

I think his second programme revolves around the Fire Service but don't hold me to that.

Jane43 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:45:38

I must catch up with this. Michael Portillo has made some excellent tv series.