Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Watership Down

(26 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 17:50:32

BBC1 this evening,

I have said I am not going to watch it, but I know I will ?

Parsley3 Sat 22-Dec-18 17:52:31

I love the book. I am recording it to watch with my granddaughters over Christmas.

tanith Sat 22-Dec-18 17:56:21

I hope to watch on catch up but they may not allow it I suppose as it’s very new.

KatyK Sat 22-Dec-18 17:56:35

I'm recording it too.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Dec-18 18:37:46

Recording it to watch in a quiet moment.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Dec-18 19:43:23

Watching it now. I like it better than the last one!

Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 19:47:33

I am watching it too, excellent, have it on record because have to switch channels at 8.00, Casablanca, ‘ we will always have Paris’, gives me goosebumps every tine

merlotgran Sat 22-Dec-18 20:39:17

Love it. So does Millie and as her main job is keeping rabbits out of the garden I'm surprised the TV is still upright. grin

Bathsheba Sat 22-Dec-18 21:01:43

I forgot to record it, but have just checked and it is on iPlayer ?

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Dec-18 08:42:49

I turned it off after 10 minutes. The voices were all wrong and the animation was rubbish. The rabbits looked like hares for a start.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 08:49:40

I didn’t like it ,

Brunette10 Sun 23-Dec-18 08:51:02

Switched off 15 mins into it - sorry!

Luckygirl Sun 23-Dec-18 08:55:27

Please let me know how sad it is after the second episode. Two of my DDs watched it while we were in summer school many many moons ago and they were in bits afterwards! They have said they are in two minds about letting the children watch it.

travelsafar Sun 23-Dec-18 09:09:01

Anniebach,* Sparklefizz,*Brunette10 so glad i wasn't the only one who switched over after 10/15mins.I didnt like the drawings at the start of the program, for some reason i found them spooky and then i just thought it rather boring, it didnt grab me at all. I'm not sure children will enjoy it, lets hope i am wrong as i know lots of GP will want to watch it with their GC.

Anniebach Sun 23-Dec-18 09:11:02

I was read to love Hazel again, couldn’t

OurKid1 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:15:54

I loved the book and the original film. Not so sure about this ... they did indeed look like hares and it was definitely disturbing. My thoughts after a few minutes was that it wouldn't have been suitable for our 4 year old grandson. It was also difficult to follow which rabbit/hare was which and what were those blank screens every so often all about?

Jane10 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:17:26

I didn’t watch it. I wanted to love the book but I just didn't somehow.

HildaW Sun 23-Dec-18 10:05:38

Really did not like the style of the animation, am well aware the story becomes very 'dark' but from the outset the creatures were all so ugly. There was no differentiation visually between the characters. My memories of the book were being charmed by some of the characters and landscapes - then being shocked by the evil and horror. With this animation it was too much of the same tone both dramatically and visually. I 'dipped' into the programme about three times and then gave up on it.

TerriBull Sun 23-Dec-18 10:20:18

merlotgran love the picture of your captivated pooch. In fact it seems from pictures of cats viewing David Attenborough's recent programmes, we underestimate what discening viewers animals are grin

I did watch part of it, mainly because I'd told my son that the children might enjoy it, although it was hardly Disneyesque. I haven't read the book but it was darker than I imagined. Apparently our 4 year old gs loved it but 8 year old gd didn't,but she was fresh from me having taken her to the new Mary Poppins earlier in the day, which was suitably syrupy.

shysal Sun 23-Dec-18 10:39:25

Another here who turned it off after a short while. I too thought the rabbits looked like hares and got fed up with trying to decide which was which. I am afraid I was bored and in danger of nodding off. It was recorded but doubt whether I shall go back to it.

Franbern Sun 23-Dec-18 11:16:25

I watched parts 1 & 2 Saturday night, but very disappointed. Considering the large amount of money this cost to make, and the fact that CGI has so much improved over past years, this - to me -was a waste of money. Preferred the original 1978 film.
The rabbits (who looked like Hares) were virtually indistinguishable from each other, too much action shot in total darkness, so we could not see what was actually going on. No way could we identify with any of the characters. And, when did the seagull become Scottish?
Of course, this has never been for young children to see - or read. My eldest was taken with some friends to the original film for his 10th birthday. Cannot believe that anyone thought it was for pre-schoolers or infants.
will watch the second part tonight , but still wondering as to the reasons for this remake.

eazybee Sun 23-Dec-18 11:27:36

I found it quite disturbing, but don't quite know why. The rabbits do look like hares.
I enjoyed the book when I read it years ago, can't find it now of course, and loved the cartoon film which my children watched avidly for years.

Parsley3 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:30:05

Perhaps I won’t watch it with the grandchildren ☹️

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Dec-18 11:49:48

Merlotgran My lovely Lottie (RIP)watching a kitten programme on TV.... but Watership Down didn't cut it with Phoebe, my remaining cat.

Grandma70s Sun 23-Dec-18 12:48:12

I didn’t know it at all, though of course I’ve heard of it. I was bored. Switched off after half an hour.